Road tax

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
CaddyShack2k
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Re: Road tax

Post by CaddyShack2k »

I can insure my commercial vehicle for private use I should be able to tax it the same, for instance with classic insurance where you have limited mileage
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

It's much the same as car tax on your weekend mx5 versus a A7 TDI driving sales rep. You'll both pay the same road tax but your mx5 might only do 3000 miles and the rep covers that in a week, every week.

Let's face it, the system is not there to allow commercial vehicles to be taxed for private use or for limited mileage so why are we wasting our time debating it. Unless you are to run for government, there's not much you can do.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Aikon
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by Aikon »

I’m of the opinion that the VED system is there to influence purchasing decisions, same for company car tax, and also to tie in with compulsory vehicle registration, MOT & insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sailor John
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Sailor John »

Following this thread with interest. Can anyone confirm how a Caddy that has been modified so that it can have the v5 changed to motor caravan fares with road tax?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by the swan fiend »

Hi Steve, I’m presuming you’re based in the uk?
I have a 2011 1.6 diesel caddy and the road tax is £252 per year.
Quite expensive compared to the equivalent engined car, but as Doc said, commercial vehicles are perceived to be on the road more.

Rescue me from the swans in me
stan-the-man
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by stan-the-man »

I managed to tax my caddy as commercial in the south simply with letter from employer that I use it for work.
I do painting and general maintenance. On the letter it was stated that use the van to transport fixed/broken appliances/bits of furniture from time to time etc. Lady in tax office didn't even question anything. Never contacted work or anyone. 5mins later I had my commercial tax disc

I believe that if you work for any business you could get away with it no prob. Could be office job so use it to transport files etc etc.

That was 2yrs ago, and at least worth a shot.