Engine code and coolant loss

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
R29GAM
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Engine code and coolant loss

Post by R29GAM »

Hi guys,
New to the whole Caddy scene and really enjoying my new wheels! I will get some pics up later in the week when I get time to take some, but I was hoping for a bit of advice.
Firstly, where on the engine block do I find the engine code? I’m not sure what engine has been fitted from the touran donor.
Also, I seen to be losing coolant over night, it will come on with the low level coolant light on a morning,top with a litre and I can drive to work, put a peice of card under and there is nothing there, drive home, still no issues but the next day, it needs a top up of around 1 litre again. I don’t think it is going in to the engine (cylinders or oil) but can’t think where is it coming from externally. The EGR cooler has been removed also.
Thank you for any advice in advance.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Engine code and coolant loss

Post by Doc »

As you look into the engine bay, on the left side of the head there will be a plastic cover with your engine code on.
You say it's had a Touran donor, I know some of the early Touran 2.0TDIs were known for having porous heads, let's hope it's not that.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
R29GAM
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by R29GAM »

I believe it is the 1.9tdi engine but not too sure.
As you look at the engine from underneath with the engine running there isn’t a damp patch or drip in sight, I have it in my head it is the heater matrix pipe work that runs from the engine to the bulk head, could do with putting a camera in there!
E-Bagge
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (74bhp)

Post by E-Bagge »

Hmm sounds verry mutch like it's a blown head gasket.
Check for the typical "white smoke" then you will know.
You can also remove the oil cap on the engine and
Check if there's any white milky stuff, if it is your out
Of luck :-/
karlos0891
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by karlos0891 »

take it for a pressure test if its a decent place that carry it out they should be able to tell you exactly where its leaking frok especially if its a pipe or joint. if it is a 2.0tdi then check the head for part numbers as there are 3 variants think variant c is the latest one that is less likely to become pourous or have issues. most 2.0tdis should of had heads swapped or be on latest revision. but if its a 1.9 then could be head gasket or leak else where like water pump or a joint or hose
R29GAM
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by R29GAM »

E-Bagge wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:05 am Hmm sounds verry mutch like it's a blown head gasket.
Check for the typical "white smoke" then you will know.
You can also remove the oil cap on the engine and
Check if there's any white milky stuff, if it is your out
Of luck :-/
it starts up first time with no smoke at all really, and the oil is brown/ black as it should, thank you for the advice though. will have to keep an eye on it.
R29GAM
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by R29GAM »

karlos0891 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:13 am take it for a pressure test if its a decent place that carry it out they should be able to tell you exactly where its leaking frok especially if its a pipe or joint. if it is a 2.0tdi then check the head for part numbers as there are 3 variants think variant c is the latest one that is less likely to become pourous or have issues. most 2.0tdis should of had heads swapped or be on latest revision. but if its a 1.9 then could be head gasket or leak else where like water pump or a joint or hose
I think a pressure test is going to be the way forward, i cant keep topping it up with water every morning, it will end up cracking the block with the cold weather.
Do you know if there is a 'one way valve' any where in the coolant system?
thank you for the advice.
karlos0891
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by karlos0891 »

none that i know of. i know some engines with a diesel heater fitted can have a valve on them so they only heat up the engine or the cabin.
threepeaks
Caddy Fan

Post by threepeaks »

Hi, I had a similar problem with our previous T5, Took it to vw and a few independents who did the pressure test but could find no fault. Bought one of these off ebay and it showed there was a problem straight away, turned out to be a very tiny crack in the head. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Combusti ... 0005.m1851
"of all the things Iv'e lost, I miss my mind the most"