Tailgate

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
golf301
Caddy2k Groupie

Tailgate

Post by golf301 »

Hey all
I am thinking of getting a caddy but would prefer one with a tailgate, are these hard to come by as I haven't seen many advertised?
Thanks
albie
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Re: Tailgate

Post by albie »

golf301 wrote:Hey all
I am thinking of getting a caddy but would prefer one with a tailgate, are these hard to come by as I haven't seen many advertised?
Thanks
Yeh not so many sold as far as I can tell, I was lookin for one but very few about,
nickic
Hyper Poster

Post by nickic »

Was hoping someone could do a conversion.. Spoke to RAD about it.. But they never got back to me.
Sport line seats, mk6 flat bottom mfsw, W8 light,Touran front bumper, Touran Console,Touran Dash,Touran Door Cards, Highline Clocks, 140 remap, Rear Seat Conversion
albie
Hyper Poster

Post by albie »

nickic wrote:Was hoping someone could do a conversion.. Spoke to RAD about it.. But they never got back to me.
Iv seen it done somewhere, I think any good body shop would be able to do it,buy the tailgate and hinges from a breakers, shouldn't cost to much
Candyturbo
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by Candyturbo »

I dont think its as easy as that as the roof needs extra strength , might be worth talking to matt at vagnostics i know he does same conversion on transporters
nickic
Hyper Poster

Post by nickic »

RAD have already done it.. I think?
Sport line seats, mk6 flat bottom mfsw, W8 light,Touran front bumper, Touran Console,Touran Dash,Touran Door Cards, Highline Clocks, 140 remap, Rear Seat Conversion
golf301
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by golf301 »

Cheers guys
SAL
Hyper Poster

Post by SAL »

Doubt you will find a tailgate in a breakers!
dantour
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by dantour »

DING-DONG
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

Post by DING-DONG »

If you want to purchase a tailgate for a conversion you need to speak to Russ from SIRUS AUTOMOTIVE (they convert caddy's for disable use and often sell tailgates)
nickic
Hyper Poster

Post by nickic »

Does Russ do the conversion?
Rudey-lolo
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Rudey-lolo »

Hey there, as mentioned above, it's not a quick easy job, there is extra reinforcement in the roof line, there surprisingly heavy...!
We don't do the conversion for that as every vehicle we have is ordered with a tailgate for the automation... We have sold a few tailgates though from crash test vehicles.
We could do the job but we are extremely busy at the moment so I wouldnt want to make any promises....

Russ
wai
200BHP+

Post by wai »

It might have to be a case of accepting barn doors.

When I got my Caddy Maxi Life, I insisted on a tailgate as I had 12 years with a Hiace SBV that had barn doors. The Hiace doors were symmetrical so the join ended up blocking the majority of the view of the road behind. The tailgate is so much better. There are issues with the space required, particularly where I have to park rear in against a wall, but the rear view is more important. I have driven a Caddy with barn doors, and although the doors are not symmetrical, they are set for LHD vehicles, and now the door join obscures the view of the right lane in the blind spot area.

It's a pity that moving between barn doors and a tailgate is not a simple matter of fitting them. On my Hiace, I could change over if I bought a tailgate. The mounting holes etc were already there.
albastru
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by albastru »

I dont know whats the OP intention, I just wanted to point out one advantage with the "barn doors": you cant load the tailgate caddy with a forklift...
wai
200BHP+

Post by wai »

albastru wrote:I dont know whats the OP intention, I just wanted to point out one advantage with the "barn doors": you cant load the tailgate caddy with a forklift...
But only if the barn doors open at least 180 degrees each. This was the "selling" point of the Hiace SBV; combined with the fact that it could take a pallet between the wheel arches.

Don't get me wrong, there are advantages with barn doors, however unless you are going to have a solid bulkhead where the internal rear vision mirror is useless, the obscuring of the rear view is a problem. That said, in my Maxi Life, when I recently had it full (7 seats all occupied), I could not see out the back anyway :-)