MK5 GTI Seats Help!

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
krezlic
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

MK5 GTI Seats Help!

Post by krezlic »

Hey Guys,

I've just managed to get my Touran consoles and everything was going to plan,
I've got GTI seats from a MK5 Golf GTI and put the passengers seat in all good and ready...

However got to the drivers seat and here came the swearing... NO SEAT BELT Stick
Am i missing something here? the seat does have the seatbelt clip built into it like the passengers seat?

The caddy is a 2008 and the seatbelt clips are built into the seats....

HELP!!!

Nick
Reggie
Hyper Poster

Re: MK5 GTI Seats Help!

Post by Reggie »

No, the Caddy seats have the seatbelt buckle bolted onto the frame. The Golf seats also have a buckle that bolts onto the frame, but they are not interchangeable. When I bought my seats it never occurred to me that I wouldn't be able to swap the buckles over, but managed to pick up a pair on eBay for just £30.
krezlic
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by krezlic »

Reggie wrote:No, the Caddy seats have the seatbelt buckle bolted onto the frame. The Golf seats also have a buckle that bolts onto the frame, but they are not interchangeable. When I bought my seats it never occurred to me that I wouldn't be able to swap the buckles over, but managed to pick up a pair on eBay for just £30.
Maybe you have different seats in the UK because the belts aren't on the frame they are attached to the seat frame not the console or lower frame.
This means when you take just the seat out the belt clip comes with it.

I think i might have come up with a solution, the TOURAN console seems to have a bolt hole roughly in the right spot so i unbolted the belt clip from the caddy seat and bolted it though with a high tensile M8 bolt two washers and a nylock nut.

Seems to work but after some research it seems that some GTI seats have them on the rails of the seats and some not..
Apparently the drivers side i received doesn't have it.

Can anyone answer if the touran consoles normally have the belt clip bolted to them?

Cheers

Krez.
Reggie
Hyper Poster

Post by Reggie »

The belt buckles attach to the seat base frame so that when you raise and lower the seat, the buckle moves with it. It will be the same for both sides, driver and passenger, so in my opinion you'd be better just getting the right buckle to attach to the seat base properly, rather than using a random fixing that may well have never been designed to take the potential stresses the seat belt fixings are if it all went horribly wrong.
krezlic
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by krezlic »

Reggie wrote:The belt buckles attach to the seat base frame so that when you raise and lower the seat, the buckle moves with it. It will be the same for both sides, driver and passenger, so in my opinion you'd be better just getting the right buckle to attach to the seat base properly, rather than using a random fixing that may well have never been designed to take the potential stresses the seat belt fixings are if it all went horribly wrong.

I'd be more worried if that amount of force went through my legs and managed to bend a high tensile bolt :D
Reggie
Hyper Poster

Post by Reggie »

Do whatever you want, they are your seats.