windscreen wipers would be helpfull!!!

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Vdublover
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

windscreen wipers would be helpfull!!!

Post by Vdublover »

As the subject states we live in a country where windscreen wipers are pretty much a necessity in every day use, so when they don't work we have problems!!
And that's where mine begin, I get in the van two weeks ago and nothing, they don't lift up when the ignition is on.
so I phoned VW who said its probably the motor, so I thought no problems ill get one of them, nothing still didn't work so I ordered the on board control module and it still doesn't do anything.
so I went with the stalk as the last outcome and nothing. Also I have bridged the connector that recognises that the bonnet is open to rule that one out.
The front washers work as does everything else as usual but not the wipers!!! slightly frustrating that I have to walk past my van to work in the morning instead of driving.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm stuck at a dead end now.
Banditbarron
Sales Caporegime
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Re: windscreen wipers would be helpfull!!!

Post by Banditbarron »

Have you scanned it with vcds?

Also apply a coat of rain x or similair so you can still use the van
spacewalker
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

Post by spacewalker »

Do autoscan
Then you can go to 09 controler and do a Output Test to move manually wipers.
maybe Wiper arm/shaft is stiff ?
slipdogg
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.0 TSI (100bhp)

Post by slipdogg »

I don't want to sound insulting here but have you checked the fuse and have you tested there's power getting to the motor. You could bench test the old motor if you've replaced it to see if it works with direct power. I've seen we're people have had loads of snow on their windows and tried to clear the screen only to over stress the motor causing the fuse to blow. If the fuse is ok but no power to the motor you may have a break in the loom somewhere.
Vdublover
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Vdublover »

Banditbarron wrote:Have you scanned it with vcds?

Also apply a coat of rain x or similair so you can still use the van[/quote

im getting that done next week as im of then so hopefully that will flag something up.
I was looking for a fuse or a relay for a few days and couldn't find one so I phoned vw and they said there isn't any its wired straight into the on board control module, the van is an 08 reg which I gave him and he went away to check.
I changed the wiper motor and the arms I thought that could have been an issue if it was stiff and stopping the motor.
slipdogg
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.0 TSI (100bhp)

Post by slipdogg »

Youve been told wrong matey, same year as mine. Fuse 19 30amp engine bay next to battery.
Attachments
rs 145 - Copy.JPG
rs 144 - Copy.JPG
DubVrs
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by DubVrs »

Check your bonnet catch as there is a limit switch on it. Wipers don't work if it thinks the bonnet is open.
Vdublover
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Vdublover »

Autokraft wrote:Check your bonnet catch as there is a limit switch on it. Wipers don't work if it thinks the bonnet is open.
slipdogg wrote:Youve been told wrong matey, same year as mine. Fuse 19 30amp engine bay next to battery.
well tonight I have changed both of these and I now have working windscreen wipers. :D big smiles, thanks to everyone for there input on the matter really helped when I was at a dead end

I still don't understand how VW could not tell me there was a fuse to control the windscreen wipers after taking my reg!!!
nutsnvolks
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by nutsnvolks »

I had the same thing happen on my t5 and it was the bonnet catch not clipped on properly, although actually I think it was just the intermittent that wouldn't work!