Coilover rear axle floating

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Paxgraham
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Coilover rear axle floating

Post by Paxgraham »

Hi
Need some advice ,
Just fitted vmaxx Coilivers , everything's fine with em , fitted right handles great.
The problem I have is I've noticed a lot of movement from the drivers wing mirror
When I'm going in a straight line the spinning wheel edge looks fine but when I hit a bump the wheel seems to drift outwards from the arch about 20-30mm ! and this float/movement also happens when mounting a curb, I've had a vw mechanic look at it up on a car lift and it's all been fitted correctly and we can't find any play in the rear running gear, but when he took it for a drive he saw the float himself.
Nothing is loose or broken, we can't find any play anywhere !
If I was to slam it the tyres would definitely foul on the arch.
I'm stumped !
It feels fine to drive , no knocks, nothing! But when I see it happen i kinda crap myself as it looks wrong , HELP!
Many thank for any advice.
If it ain't got aircon ........ Don't touch it.

08 1.9 104 in sexy off road grey, full electric pack, air con, low.
Touran front end , spoiler in the garage pleading to be fitted!
smartezippo
Hyper Poster

Re: Coilover rear axle floating

Post by smartezippo »

It's normal
2008 1.9TDI, DSG, Factory Appearance pack, Elec Pack, Paddle shifters, multifunction leather wheel, Highline Touran Clocks, Cruise control, Golf mk5 GT seats, Touran Door Cards, Touran front button DSG Shifter, R32 Pedals........
chezzy71
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by chezzy71 »

yes, very scary when you first see it but normal
*********** caddy maxi camper build thread **********
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10101
albie
Hyper Poster

Post by albie »

Yeh seems to be the norm but feels abnormal to ignore it lol
86drift
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by 86drift »

So is this the axle moving side to side or the body of the van moving.Seems strange.Can anyone say WHY this happens or fixed this problem when lowered?
Paxgraham
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Paxgraham »

86drift wrote:So is this the axle moving side to side or the body of the van moving.Seems strange.Can anyone say WHY this happens or fixed this problem when lowered?
It's def the wheels or axle ,and the vw mechanic thought that yes they all do it it's just that normal wheels are recessed in the arches so this wouldn't be seen , I'm starting to think maybe it's the leaf springs flexing, if so it's a simple fix, on lowered caddys when the axle is above the leaf , another shorter plate could be clamped/welded under and along it to reduce this flexing,
But if it's the axle shifting then two angled drop links would cure it ,

chezzy71
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by chezzy71 »

its the body moving over the axel, giving the impression the axel is moving, if the axel was moving side to side it would mean the tyres are loose on the road so ive always thought the axel it stuck down firm to the road and the body is moving over the top of it..... dont forget anything brace wise that would stop this happening would need to allow the axel to move freely up and down..
*********** caddy maxi camper build thread **********
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10101
Paxgraham
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Paxgraham »

chezzy71 wrote:its the body moving over the axel, giving the impression the axel is moving, if the axel was moving side to side it would mean the tyres are loose on the road so ive always thought the axel it stuck down firm to the road and the body is moving over the top of it..... dont forget anything brace wise that would stop this happening would need to allow the axel to move freely up and down..
Yep thinking about 2 drop links at angles wich would prevent any left right motion but still allow an up and down motion ..
I understand now that this is normal .. I just don't like it!
Many thanks to all for your replies.

Keaney
200BHP+

Post by Keaney »

Just noticed it on mine after lowering it at the weekend... Jees it sure does move a lot!
Sensible: Caddy 1.9 tdi - Pioneer AppRadio
ASBO: Audi C5 RS6 Stage 2 540bhp - Wagner IC - MRC Stage 2 Remap - Miltek Full System - ACE TC - PSS9's - ITG Panel Filters
Amelia
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Amelia »

Don't worry bud it's normal
Ian VW
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

Post by Ian VW »

Paxgraham I have just lowered mine & at high speeds on the motorways I have mine on the highest setting I believe that the long shackles flex from side to side when on the longest (highest setting). The answer would be a panhard rod & I would glass it as normal this could be bad if you got it into a tank slapper (back starts to swing side to side) I use to work for a company that uprated suspension & fitted lots of panhard rods to rear wheel drive cars on leaf springs & transformed them & they did not have over length rear shackles
Ian
Keaney
200BHP+

Post by Keaney »

Anyone lowered it so much on the rear that the arch damages the alloy? Seen some low caddys but if the wheels moves around so much surely you should get some rubbing?
Sensible: Caddy 1.9 tdi - Pioneer AppRadio
ASBO: Audi C5 RS6 Stage 2 540bhp - Wagner IC - MRC Stage 2 Remap - Miltek Full System - ACE TC - PSS9's - ITG Panel Filters