When does the vat stop getting charged?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
MMM1978
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

When does the vat stop getting charged?

Post by MMM1978 »

Hi all,

Quick question regarding the dreaded vat!

When does it stop being charged?

If I bought a van from a trader and had to pay vat would I have to charge vat when I sell? I'm pretty positive the answer to this is no, but just throwing it out there. :-)

If my dad bought a van for his business and claimed the vat back, when he sells would he charge vat?

If a trader buys a van off eBay, and didn't have to pay vat, as it was a private sale in effect, then puts it on his four court, does he have to charge vat when he sells, seen as at some point in the chain the vat man has had his money?

Cheers :-)
danski
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: When does the vat stop getting charged?

Post by danski »

My understanding is, if its from a trader/business and they pay VAT, they have to charge the VAT to pass it on to the tax orifice.
If its a private sale, no VAT gets charged or paid.

I seem to remember that they have a number of vehicles that you are allowed to buy and sell a year before you get classed as a trader, I think I was told 5, but dont quote me on that as I was told quite a few years ago.
Bigharty
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by Bigharty »

Any business that is vat registered has to charge vat.
BIGHARTYBIGHARTY
MMM1978
Hyper Poster

Post by MMM1978 »

Ahh ok so the vat man keeps getting vat over and over again on the one van if it stays within a string of vat registered sellers?

Why is it some traders have a mix of vans in their forecourts, some which say no vat? How can one seller charge vat on some sales and not on others?
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

If a van has been purchased privately at some point, the private buyer will not have reclaimed the VAT, therefore the VAT is paid on that one.
Others are shown with a price +VAT as the previous owner has reclaimed the VAT on his purchase price.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
MMM1978
Hyper Poster

Post by MMM1978 »

Ok, so if a van was purchased from a private seller by a trader, but that trader is now got it up for a price plus vat, that is wrong? He's on the fiddle?
Bigvw
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by Bigvw »

Yes he is! You will see some vans for sale by traders without VAT this is because there was none when he bought it in. If you bought it from him he would have to give an invoice with the vat showing and he would be committing fraud! You could simply get in touch with C&E to discuss after he had done so, sure they would be very interested. Have to be VAT registered after your turnover is at a certain level -
http://taxaid.org.uk/info/vat/who-needs ... er-for-vat

cheers
Dubtech Custom Vans. Suppliers for - KW,ST,AP Suspension systems, Bilstein suspension, V-Maxx , Official RECARO dealer, GAZ Shocks, Cobra Seats, 07967 106 906 bigvw@hotmail.co.uk https://www.facebook.com/Dubtechcustomvans
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

If (and he should) he gives you a receipt showing VAT then you can reclaim it against your company VAT bill.
The all in price can still have VAT reclaimed so long as there is a receipt of the transaction.
As stated above, all VAT registered traders must charge and return VAT. It's not for them, it's the governments little cut for letting them sell and you buy in the country. :cry:
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
alarmfitter
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by alarmfitter »

When we die :D