Interior light issue

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
msgwobo
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Interior light issue

Post by msgwobo »

How easy is it to replace the "door open" switch for the interior light circuit? i think it is inside the door latch itself?

Interior light will not turn off when the switch is set to the middle "door open/close" position i think it must be one of the door switches stuck closed so it thinks the door is always open.

Sorry if there is another topic on this but i haven't got access to the full forum yet and this is really bugging me!

Thanks
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.
miro_1986
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Re: Interior light issue

Post by miro_1986 »

maybe microswitch,try with diagnostic to see where is fault
msgwobo wrote:How easy is it to replace the "door open" switch for the interior light circuit? i think it is inside the door latch itself?

Interior light will not turn off when the switch is set to the middle "door open/close" position i think it must be one of the door switches stuck closed so it thinks the door is always open.

Sorry if there is another topic on this but i haven't got access to the full forum yet and this is really bugging me!

Thanks
msgwobo
Caddy Fan

Post by msgwobo »

Had it plugged into a mates VAGCOM last night and we couldn't find anything relating to the interior light circuits and there was no fault codes whatsoever.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.
miro_1986
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by miro_1986 »

and just one light is problem ? when you lock the doors just one light works?
msgwobo
Caddy Fan

Post by msgwobo »

Yes the light above the windscreen stays on whether the doors are open or shut but does turn off when you lock the doors
whites-all-righty
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by whites-all-righty »

I dont think you have an issue at all, the light is on a time delay of 30-60 seconds I think, so when you unlock the van from remote key light will come on for 30 or more secs, then when you open the door it resets that time again to 30-60 secs so when you get in you can see where to put the key etc, as if you put key in ignition and start van before 30 secs it goes off, or the same if you shut and lock the light switches off. :)
miro_1986
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by miro_1986 »

but when u lock doors light shuts down with no delay :?
TheNorthernTrain
Twin Turbo poster

Post by TheNorthernTrain »

Is it the light in roof at the back or the cab area, if it's the former it might just be a dodgy connection, mine is a bit hit and miss, there is a fine line on mine which although they look to be set to doors open, will either not turn on at all or be on all the time, I've jammed a bit of cardboard down the side of the light as a temporary fix so it's permanently set to doors open and can't be knocked off by accident.
The Beast in Blue - Caddy Maxi W.I.P
msgwobo
Caddy Fan

Post by msgwobo »

whites-all-righty i hoped you might be correct but i've just tried it and the light stays on when i shut and lock the doors and also when i turn the ignition and engine on. I tried turning the light from the right (off) to the central position (doors open) while i was driving and you guessed it, the light came on then too!

I asked a bloke at my local scrappy and he said there was no wires coming out of the door latch so i dont even know where the door switches are?

To clarify it is the over head light in the cab.
msgwobo
Caddy Fan

Post by msgwobo »

cheers for the rear lights advice TheNorthernTrain i was using a piece of trusty bluetack to jam them in the off position as they were flickering when driving down my bumpy lane!
msgwobo
Caddy Fan

Post by msgwobo »

OK quick update: Last night i had a good old prod around the lighting circuit with a multimeter and found that the door switches are working fine, at the same time all the interior lights started working as they should turning on with doors open and then off after a 20/30 second delay with the doors closed or immediately off when doors are locked or ignition turned on.... for about 20 minutes, then they simply stopped turning off again regardless of what i did (locking doors/engine on etc.)

Any idea what could be causing this intermittent problem? I don't think it can be wiring as all of the interior lights (cab front, rear left and right) either all seem to be working or none working?

I have access to a friend with VAG Com although the last time we plugged her in we couldn't see anything for the interior lights?
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Is it possible that the side door switch is faulty? It is quite common and an easy one to replace.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
msgwobo
Caddy Fan

Post by msgwobo »

I'll check tonight, but that doesn't explain why the lights do not turn off when you lock the van or turn the engine on?
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

If it thinks the door is still open that the light will remain on.
I can check mine when I'm out for lunch but I'm sure it will stay on whenever the slider is open.
The front door shouldn't bring on the rear lights from what I remember when I had the mesh bulkhead, hence I'm thinking the slider is the issue.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
msgwobo
Caddy Fan

Post by msgwobo »

Cheers, i hope you're right. Is it a different type of switch in the sliding door?