Newbie New Maxi PV

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
anoneamus
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: Newbie New Maxi PV

Post by anoneamus »

Hmmm, I'm removing it. I'll half-agree with your statement, because it is easy to remove...
Ollie wrote:Yeah, you can speak to Andrew at Prodieselchip. We use them on all our diesel cars. Very easy to fit and worth it.
Ollie
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

Post by Ollie »

Sorry for not replying earlier, was away on business and got sidetracked into other interests. Sorry to hear that. I get about 1000km on a tank in & around town on the caddy and i can really feel the difference with & without it. Maybe its just more noticeable at the Gauteng altitude.
anoneamus
Hyper Poster

Post by anoneamus »

No problemo. Wow, you must drive a lot more sensibly than I do! ;)

I am curious what setting you have your's on (you can see by removing the rubber cap and looking with a torch), although I tried a few different ones. The behaviour is different for each, but as far as I can see, they just move the power band around the rev range. I do hate how it makes the engine sound/vibrate at low revs though.

I may speak to Andrew at some point, but after reading quite a bit more about "diesel tuning boxes", I'm not really a "believer" in this kind of tech any more...
Ollie
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

Post by Ollie »

I have been playing around with the setting. I had it set on 3 and then moved it to 5. I don't really carry weight in the panel van, so i suppose that helps as well. I find it smoother on setting 3 though, but more bottom end grunt on 5. Most of my travels are on main arteries through town, so doing about 80-100 km/h. I believe that is where the chip is most beneficial. I don't think it has any improvement on open road traveling. My best consumption was 4,1l/100 km on about 200km round trip, but it seems to average out at about 5,4 on a tank.
anoneamus
Hyper Poster

Post by anoneamus »

Hmmm, be aware that your dash fuel consumption readings will no longer be accurate (they will show lower than actual readings). The dash readings measure what the ECU thinks it's using fuel-wise. The box manipulates (increases) that signal before it gets to the injectors. Only real way to measure is to do top-up to top-up fuel reading from the pump and calculate from odometer.
anoneamus
Hyper Poster

Post by anoneamus »

1000Kms off a tank is impressive, even if the readings might be a bit off. Maybe I'll give the thing a shot again, as in Cape Town, I'm getting more like 700Kms off a tank. That's with not much freeway driving and a lot of stop-start and hills.

I went as high as 7 on the settings, which was great for low-rev power on dirt roads, but not so good for freeway overtaking. I saw another unit online somewhere that had a remote fob to switch programs (or off altogether). I wish this one had something like that....