Caddy double din radio

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Bruno lang
Caddy2k Groupie
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:28 pm
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Caddy double din radio

Post by Bruno lang » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:34 am

Wanting a change from de standard radio to a model with Bluetooth! What have you's guys got in yours?! Oem models look expensive!

caddyracer
Caddy2k Groupie
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:27 pm
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)
Location: Scotland

Re: Caddy double din radio

Post by caddyracer » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:13 am

Hi there
I upgraded to a aftermarket double din for the Bluetooth phone connection, went and got a unit from Halfords online thinking it would be a str8 fit, but no luck, ended up buying wiring harness plug, aerial adapter, and double din housing adapter to allow stereo to fit nice in dash. Only down fall with this was you loose the keyed power supply, and have to turn stereo off manuly before leaving van as it will not turn off with the key, it's something to do with the canbus wiring. I'm just wishing now I hadn't been so tight and bought a better vw stereo, and saved me the hassle. But all in all it works fine, and can chat hands free on my phone no problem.

Bruno lang
Caddy2k Groupie
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:28 pm
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Re: Caddy double din radio

Post by Bruno lang » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:39 am

caddyracer wrote:Hi there
I upgraded to a aftermarket double din for the Bluetooth phone connection, went and got a unit from Halfords online thinking it would be a str8 fit, but no luck, ended up buying wiring harness plug, aerial adapter, and double din housing adapter to allow stereo to fit nice in dash. Only down fall with this was you loose the keyed power supply, and have to turn stereo off manuly before leaving van as it will not turn off with the key, it's something to do with the canbus wiring. I'm just wishing now I hadn't been so tight and bought a better vw stereo, and saved me the hassle. But all in all it works fine, and can chat hands free on my phone no problem.
Was it like an android double din you got? Looking at one of these myself http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/171181089753?_mwBanner=1 Maybe I should stop being miserable too and go for an Rns 510 but works out costly by the time I add a Bluetooth unit etc

User avatar
horace01
Hyper Poster
Posts: 1287
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:20 am
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)
Location: Melbourne Australia

Re: Caddy double din radio

Post by horace01 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:05 pm

I run an Eonon unit with Bluetooth, reverse camera, GPS etc. It has screen mirroring and more ways to input than I need. The quality is pretty good and the price was good. There is a link to a review I wrote in my build thread somewhere.
2007 Caddy 1.9 TDi 77kW BLS: R32 Wheel w/ paddle shifters : MK6 Golf GTi seats : Dynamat & carpeted : Reverse camera : Eonon GM5153 head unit : Avant Garde M220 18x8" Et 42 wheels :V-Maxx Xxtreme coilovers & rear shackles Gaz rear shocks : Mapped by DNA Tuning

Link to my build: viewtopic.php?t=19058" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bruno lang
Caddy2k Groupie
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:28 pm
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Re: Caddy double din radio

Post by Bruno lang » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:34 pm

horace01 wrote:I run an Eonon unit with Bluetooth, reverse camera, GPS etc. It has screen mirroring and more ways to input than I need. The quality is pretty good and the price was good. There is a link to a review I wrote in my build thread somewhere.
Was it a straight fit? Plug in and work away or take a bit work?! Seen a few android units ave a problem with battery drain!

Bruno lang
Caddy2k Groupie
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:28 pm
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Re: Caddy double din radio

Post by Bruno lang » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:02 pm

Picked up a vw rns 510 for the caddy this evening after! Nice bit of kit! Set me back €450 installed with 3 months warranty! Just need to pick up a Bluetooth unit for it now

caddyracer
Caddy2k Groupie
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:27 pm
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)
Location: Scotland

Re: Caddy double din radio

Post by caddyracer » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:12 am

Hi there
Sounds like you got a good set up there, I didn't spend that much, but as they say " you get what you pay for", and to be honest I'm wishing now I had spent a bit more. My thoughts where a £100 fine for getting caught on phone while driving or spend £120 on a stereo with a parrot system built in.
All was plug and play, simple install by myself, but had to get adapter for wiring harness and aerial.

User avatar
horace01
Hyper Poster
Posts: 1287
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:20 am
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)
Location: Melbourne Australia

Re: Caddy double din radio

Post by horace01 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:14 am

Bruno lang wrote: Was it a straight fit? Plug in and work away or take a bit work?! Seen a few android units ave a problem with battery drain!
Full plug and play. No dicking around.
2007 Caddy 1.9 TDi 77kW BLS: R32 Wheel w/ paddle shifters : MK6 Golf GTi seats : Dynamat & carpeted : Reverse camera : Eonon GM5153 head unit : Avant Garde M220 18x8" Et 42 wheels :V-Maxx Xxtreme coilovers & rear shackles Gaz rear shocks : Mapped by DNA Tuning

Link to my build: viewtopic.php?t=19058" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sutton1001
100BHP+
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:35 pm
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Re: Caddy double din radio

Post by sutton1001 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:34 pm

I was going to go android but was put off due to crashing and buggy.

Bought a pioneer avic F9770DAB yesterday.

Hoping to mount it Sunday. Will try and post pics.

Bruno lang
Caddy2k Groupie
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:28 pm
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Re: Caddy double din radio

Post by Bruno lang » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:57 pm

Was well worth the extra money! Kinda transforms the dash of caddy somehow! Bit late to ask this now but how well do iPhones work with the be Bluetooth unit and rns 510

Bruno lang
Caddy2k Groupie
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:28 pm
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Re: Caddy double din radio

Post by Bruno lang » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:50 pm

Anyone any idea about aerial on these? Reception is grand and times but on certain parts of road I lose reception and have to tune it back in manually. Caddy has one aerial whereas unit has a twin aerial

caddyracer
Caddy2k Groupie
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:27 pm
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)
Location: Scotland

Re: Caddy double din radio

Post by caddyracer » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:45 pm

Hi there
Yea as you mention it reception can come and go on mine, the unit it's a Pioneer FH-X700BT, I added the double adapter with the powered booster as I had the 2 wires for the aerial thinking it would be fine, but I notice the difference. Think I will look for a better aerial adapter in the hope it sorts it out.

Bruno lang
Caddy2k Groupie
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:28 pm
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Re: Caddy double din radio

Post by Bruno lang » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:47 pm

caddyracer wrote:Hi there
Yea as you mention it reception can come and go on mine, the unit it's a Pioneer FH-X700BT, I added the double adapter with the powered booster as I had the 2 wires for the aerial thinking it would be fine, but I notice the difference. Think I will look for a better aerial adapter in the hope it sorts it out.
Did booster make any difference?!

caddyracer
Caddy2k Groupie
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:27 pm
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)
Location: Scotland

Re: Caddy double din radio

Post by caddyracer » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:56 pm

Been looking around on the net and the one I have doesn't seem to be that great by what I've been reading and experiencing, it the long silver cylinder type with a wire you put 12v to boost signal, so have ordered an other type, it's more like a little box with a blue wire you connect 12v to. Not had time to install it as yet, but will let you know if it's any better.

sutton1001
100BHP+
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:35 pm
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Re: Caddy double din radio

Post by sutton1001 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:01 am

I went and got this and it's AWSOME sound qualiyty is great from DAB and it has a reversing camera option which I will get this week. Wasn't cheap though but you do gt what you pay for!Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Avalanche, scoobxs and 1 guest