dsg concerns

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
tonyf
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

dsg concerns

Post by tonyf »

Hi. I am thinking of trading my 08 diesel maual caddy maxi for a newer dsg diesel auto caddy maxi but a few people I know have alerted me to the problems attahed to the dsg. Does anyone know if the newer( 2012 onwards )are a safe bet or are they all suspect to the same problems associated with them? Appreciate any advice.
dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Re: dsg concerns

Post by dan@biali »

I think the problems are that its a complicated bit of kit so when or if it goes wrong, and you're out of warranty, the costs can be insane. Not sure if the Caddy has as high a rate of failures as the cars but then maybe there aren't as many. A mate has done 120k in his 280bhp MK5 Golf GTi without much issue, my mum on the other hand is currently experiencing some similar issues in her MK7 Golf 1.2 Bluemotion as the MK6 she had before when VW replaced the gearbox, both at under 15k of mainly town driving and never thrashed. Usual runaround ensues with VW trying software updates, replacing seals, maybe a mechatronic unit before finally, 6 months later, agreeing to replace the box.
bt79
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by bt79 »

Hello Tony,

I currently drive a 2013 1.6TDI 102hp with dsg, remap to 130hp.
It has 90k on the counter and up till now no problems.
I have three kids and regularly tow a trailer without any problems.
My father has used it to go on holiday with six adults in it an didn't have any probs.
The only thing you have to look out for with the dsg7 on the 1.6TDI, is that when you do a remap they limit the torque as it's normally limited to 250Nm.
Depending on the software it can be more, mine was limited to 285Nm.
The dsg6 on the 2.0TDI is limited to about 400Nm.

Grtz
Combine82
Caddy Fan

Post by Combine82 »

i have a 167k 2006 1.9 TDI DSG which has been pendle mapped for two years and just over 80k. Absolutely no issues. Has had the box oil changed every 40k. I now commute 20 miles M3/M25 in stop start traffic a lot so i tend to have the box in manual while its crawling to save it swapping between 1st and 2nd all the time which it would do a lot otherwise. My only criticism of the box is the ratios. 80mph in 6th is 3000rpm so its fairly screaming on the motorway compared to my old mk4 golf chugging along at 2300rpm or so. I've always said if the box goes bang i'd replace it with a passat box or something with a different final drive.
tonyf
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by tonyf »

Thanks for the replies guys. I feel a bit better about it now. I test drove one today and felt a bit strange after getting used to my manual but I still love the caddies so will go with the upgrade.(I just love the fuel economy and driving position compared to most other vans. I also spoke to Seb who was reccomended by someone on here and he did warn me that some of the dsg's are probably not suitable for remapping unless you are prepared to take a chance because of the limited torque allowance. Last thing I want is to make risks even worse but once I have settled on one and I know for sure what my limits are I will ask you for advice.
tonyf
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by tonyf »

bt79 wrote:Hello Tony,

I currently drive a 2013 1.6TDI 102hp with dsg, remap to 130hp.
It has 90k on the counter and up till now no problems.
I have three kids and regularly tow a trailer without any problems.
My father has used it to go on holiday with six adults in it an didn't have any probs.
The only thing you have to look out for with the dsg7 on the 1.6TDI, is that when you do a remap they limit the torque as it's normally limited to 250Nm.
Depending on the software it can be more, mine was limited to 285Nm.
The dsg6 on the 2.0TDI is limited to about 400Nm.

Grtz
How much did your remap cost and where did you get it done.?
bt79
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by bt79 »

Hey Tony,

I'm from Belgium and had it done at http://www.rs-sport.be/.
Was about 400€.

grtz
pounder770
Caddy Fan

dsg concerns

Post by pounder770 »

I've a 2009 1.9, with the 6-speed dsg. Bought it 3years ago with 38k miles. At this time it has 197k miles ... all with a 130bhp remap.
I bought the Sealey tool for changing the dsg oil, and do so every 40k.... in fact, it got the last change at 30k, as I was doing other surgery at the same time.
No regrets here!!!
Dazg
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by Dazg »

Good to read this as I'm looking at a 2012 dsg 2.0 high line 140ps. 90k on the clocks anything you think I need to check?

Sorry to jump on op post👍