LOWERING PROS AND CONS

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
SaMmY8444
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 16V Petrol (100bhp)

LOWERING PROS AND CONS

Post by SaMmY8444 »

HI ALL COULD SOMEONE HELP ME OUT ? I AM UNDECIDED ABOUT LOWERING MY CADDY HEARD A FEW HORROR STORYS ABOUT IT AND WOULD LIKE A BIT OF ADVICE ON THE MATTER LIKE BEST KITS TO GO FOR HOW THE VAN DRIVES AFTER LOWERING AND HOW LONG THE KITS LAST AS I HAVE HEARD THAT SOME PEOPLE HAD ONLY 12 MONTH OUT OF THERES WHITCH IS AN OTHER THING THATS PUTS ME OFF I AM NO MECHANIC SO ANY HELP WOULD BE GRATEFUL THANKS .
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: LOWERING PROS AND CONS

Post by Doc »

No need to SHOUT ABOUT IT!
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
torque777
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by torque777 »

I fitted vmaxx and removed it due to finding it too under damped, now on spax rsx front adjustable coilovers and gaz rear adjustable dampers, like anything it's a compromise, when lower it handles better around bends, looks better, but can catch underneath if too low, speed bumps are a pain, my advise is to have a good look at what's available and choose wisely, mine is about right now, not too hard or too soft, but I do catch on speed humps so have to think when I'm driving and where I am
dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by dan@biali »

VW lowering springs - not much lower than stock, but inexpensive and VW approved so won't affect any warranty

H&R lowering springs - between 40-60mm drop (according to Darkside) and very inexpensive

Darkside Developments rear shackle/axle flip kits - choice between low and super low

Reflex axle relocation plates - worth installing when fitting coilovers as the rear wheel will be slightly off centre in the wheel arch without these

Vmaxx - Get a good range of lowering, even with the facelift Caddy it sits well but there are the odd story of them failing and sometimes in a short period with a bit of a reputation for bad aftersales care. Reasonably priced for a kit, not very adjustable as fixed rate damping, but most owners rate them in terms of how well the van drives, if not that they're a bit harsh. Kit available including rear hangers

ST Supension coilover kit - engineered by KW as their budget range so somewhere between Vmaxx and KW V1. Kit available including rear hangers. Not heard of anyone on here using these.

KW V1, V2, V3 - a big jump up in cost, although I'm not convinced you're getting the same jump in quality anymore. The facelift kit doesn't get the front as low as the vmaxx, the V1 is the cheapest version and is only height adjustable, the rear bushings on the V1 could potentially cause a knocking noise which KW won't acknowledge and the only solution is to fit the V2 or V3 dampers, but the ride is very good - not harsh or too firm with good body roll control. Kit available including rear hangers

Bilstein B14 - on a par with KW for price but looks like a much better quality kit. Not seen many reviews but sound very similar to the KWs. Kit available including rear hangers.

Essentially as the Caddy shares the same suspension with the MK5 Golf, you can use coilovers designed for them I believe, but as there are kits available for the Caddy it would be simpler to get something designed for it.

Any owners of these kits feel free to add anything as I've only had personal experience of the KW V1 with V2 rear dampers kit.
SaMmY8444
200BHP+

Post by SaMmY8444 »

where would be the best place to get vw springs apart from vw them selfs ? they could be best option for me as i am not wanting to slam the van just looking to drop it a couple inch to close the gap up between my new 18 inch wheels and the arches so it looks better but still drives well
Danyounguk
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by Danyounguk »

dan@biali wrote:VW lowering springs - not much lower than stock, but inexpensive and VW approved so won't affect any warranty

H&R lowering springs - between 40-60mm drop (according to Darkside) and very inexpensive

Darkside Developments rear shackle/axle flip kits - choice between low and super low

Reflex axle relocation plates - worth installing when fitting coilovers as the rear wheel will be slightly off centre in the wheel arch without these

Vmaxx - Get a good range of lowering, even with the facelift Caddy it sits well but there are the odd story of them failing and sometimes in a short period with a bit of a reputation for bad aftersales care. Reasonably priced for a kit, not very adjustable as fixed rate damping, but most owners rate them in terms of how well the van drives, if not that they're a bit harsh. Kit available including rear hangers

ST Supension coilover kit - engineered by KW as their budget range so somewhere between Vmaxx and KW V1. Kit available including rear hangers. Not heard of anyone on here using these.

KW V1, V2, V3 - a big jump up in cost, although I'm not convinced you're getting the same jump in quality anymore. The facelift kit doesn't get the front as low as the vmaxx, the V1 is the cheapest version and is only height adjustable, the rear bushings on the V1 could potentially cause a knocking noise which KW won't acknowledge and the only solution is to fit the V2 or V3 dampers, but the ride is very good - not harsh or too firm with good body roll control. Kit available including rear hangers

Bilstein B14 - on a par with KW for price but looks like a much better quality kit. Not seen many reviews but sound very similar to the KWs. Kit available including rear hangers.

Essentially as the Caddy shares the same suspension with the MK5 Golf, you can use coilovers designed for them I believe, but as there are kits available for the Caddy it would be simpler to get something designed for it.

Any owners of these kits feel free to add anything as I've only had personal experience of the KW V1 with V2 rear dampers kit.
Brilliant advice mate, just what I needed!

Think I'll give the H&R lowering springs a go! Not into stupid lows anymore, need to stay practical but look decent!
simplicitymarine.com
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by simplicitymarine.com »

dan@biali wrote:VW lowering springs - not much lower than stock, but inexp........................

I am a member of a number of different forums but this is possibly the best, most comprehensive and informative reply I think I have seen to any question.

And I wasn't even thinking about lowering my Caddy! :D
http://www.simplicitymarine.com
Marine valeting/Boat washing/Gelcoat Polishing along the south coast of the UK and the Thames
dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by dan@biali »

I was thinking I would add to it and hopefully put it in the relevant section for all to use as resource which people can add their own experiences with all the options.
SaMmY8444
200BHP+

Post by SaMmY8444 »

Where would u say was the best place to purchase lowering kits from vw lowering kits sound like a good option for me

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
Maxi4life
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by Maxi4life »

The VW approved lowering option is the Eibach Pro Kit springs on the standard dampers.
torque777
Hyper Poster

Post by torque777 »

I personally believe that standard dampers are not enough on there own, I think you need something uprated on the rear as you are altering the front but the back is still super soft

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
MartinKnight
Caddy Fan

Post by MartinKnight »

I bought a brand new Maxi last year and have been desperate to lower it but have been concerned about warranty issues etc. In the end, and after a lot of advice from guys on here, I decided to lower it using a Bilstein kit supplied and fitted by RAD - they also fitted a skid plate/sump guard and did some paintwork for me.

First of all the service from RAD was first class and I'm really happy with the lowered look. My kit is fitted on the highest setting (ie furthest from the weeds) with spacers to stiffen the hangers supplied by Chezzy and the ride is superb. My van is a daily drive and even with the highest setting on the hangers the sump guard sits about 120mm from the ground so I'll need to be careful over speed humps and kerbs etc. The drive itself has been greatly improved by the Bilsteins and body roll has been reduced so its much more fun in the corners despite being a Maxi. I'm running 17" wheels and the ride is not too harsh at all, I may mess around with the rebound setting because it's something to play with but there is no need to, Also I've not noticed any axle wobble in my mirrors.

Go for it!
2016 Caddy Maxi Highline Eu6 stage 1 map, Day van conversion, lowered on Bilsteins
Arny26caddy
Caddy Fan

Post by Arny26caddy »

What are the spacers u have to stiffen ? My wheels go in and out all over place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
torque777
Hyper Poster

Post by torque777 »

Anthony Chesworth makes and sells them, he is on here but not frequently, if you go onto caddy club UK or caddy club classified on Facebook you will see them on there

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
Arny26caddy
Caddy Fan

Post by Arny26caddy »

Thanks for the info I will take a look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk