Camping in my caddy advice?!

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Jcalvert95
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Camping in my caddy advice?!

Post by Jcalvert95 »

I've just been told that your not aloud to take camper vans on campsites without side windows in because of health and safety with ventilation. I've got a grill bulkhead and can wind windows down. I also have a awning so if it did get too hot I could open the back doors into the awning. Can someone shed a bit of light onto this please.
Last edited by Jcalvert95 on Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Calvert
Caddy Maxi 1.6 TDI
Carlisle Cumbria UK
Simmo
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Re: True or false?

Post by Simmo »

I was refused by a campsite in avimore for this. They said if the campsite is part of the caravan club it is within the rules of the caravan club that campervans must have a side window.
Campsites not in the club it is down to their discretion.
There is nothing stopping you sticking a tent outside of the van and just sleeping in the van though.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Jcalvert95
200BHP+

Re: True or false?

Post by Jcalvert95 »

Simmo wrote:I was refused by a campsite in avimore for this. They said if the campsite is part of the caravan club it is within the rules of the caravan club that campervans must have a side window.
Campsites not in the club it is down to their discretion.
There is nothing stopping you sticking a tent outside of the van and just sleeping in the van though.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
I hope I don't, it's a 2 hour drive to the campsite. It is also a caravan park but I've read all the terms and conditions and didn't see anything. I'm going to risk it and hope they maybe don't check.
Jack Calvert
Caddy Maxi 1.6 TDI
Carlisle Cumbria UK
Bl0at3r
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Re: Camping in my caddy advice?!

Post by Bl0at3r »

Did you get away with it - I'm not intending to fit side windows in my van
Jcalvert95
200BHP+

Post by Jcalvert95 »

Bl0at3r wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 9:02 pm Did you get away with it - I'm not intending to fit side windows in my van
Yes I did mate and also been to more sites since, never had a problem so far.
Jack Calvert
Caddy Maxi 1.6 TDI
Carlisle Cumbria UK
Bl0at3r
100BHP+

Post by Bl0at3r »

Great, thank you :D
Aikon
100BHP+

Post by Aikon »

The Caravan Club have a "no vans" rule, I've turned up at a franchised Caravan Club site in a 2 week old Caddy & pitched a tent next to it without difficulty though, as ever application of the rules isn't hard & fast. Camping & Caravan Club are more accommodating, as are most independent sites.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
PRMG
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by PRMG »

Do any of you have SWB caddys? I'm looking for info on converting mine and what kits are available!
Nobeerinthefridge
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.0 TSI (100bhp)

Post by Nobeerinthefridge »

PRMG wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:36 pm Do any of you have SWB caddys? I'm looking for info on converting mine and what kits are available!

Yep, but simirlarly to the T5 my new caddy replaced, I won't be fitting any permanent conversion stuff, as I need room for bikes more often than I need a bed in there. I had a tranny connect with a hard built bed in it, was a pain in the arse to be honest.

Bulkhead is out of my caddy, as I'm 6'2", seats slid forward and then I use one of these below with a single mattress on top, comfy as hell. Has plenty space in below for storage boxes as well. I have a cabin curtain as well that I never got round to fitting in the T5, which will keep it nice and dark, think I got it from VanX IIRC.

Wind deflectors are handy as well, means you can crack windows open to avoid it being furnace like and also allow the condensation to ease.

Climb Mountains not so the world can see you, but so that you can see the world....