caddy issues :(

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
risker
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

caddy issues :(

Post by risker »

hey guys ive got a 04 caddy 104 tdi, two weeks ago i went to start it one morning and it started as normal ran for about 2 seconds and then died, and did the same if if tryed again, it came up on diagnostics as engine position censer (crank censer), so the garage replaced the censer and got in running again at the cost of £200, however today the same problem returned and came up same problem on diagnostics so the garage is looking into it further, has anyone had the same problem at all and if possible shed any light on the situation??

many thanks
DADDY
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Re: caddy issues :(

Post by DADDY »

Had this with Traffics and Masters dude the crank angle sensor shows up a fault code. Change the sensor and vehicle runs for an unspecified period, Bang then back to square one. Renault now sell the multi-plug with gold-plated terminals, due to the low electrical resistance resistance of gold blaa de blaa. Anyway once these are changed out problem goes away, it sounds strange I know but I have done 10+ vehicles and none have ever come back with the crank sensor fault, so check the condition of this crank sensor plug just in case.

Link to Caddy 2K Project Workhorse ***Warning Pics and Slideshows Heavy***
super_ted
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by super_ted »

Maybe a fault with the sensor connector plug/contacts rather than the sensor itself? Or maybe one of the wires leading to the sensor is slightly damaged/has chaffed on something??
Good luck.
NJQ
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by NJQ »

Had a similar problam with a 05 sdi last week was a broken wire from ecu 2 the crank sensor
risker
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by risker »

thank you!
DADDY
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by DADDY »

risker wrote:thank you!
No worrys dude, hope this helps. ;)

Link to Caddy 2K Project Workhorse ***Warning Pics and Slideshows Heavy***
risker
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by risker »

ive just spoken to the garage and they say they have got to take the gearbox out because it could be something to do with the flywheel, ive heard the flywheels are pretty crap in caddys but its only done 65k so really not sure what to do as they havent started it yet, i havent used this garage befor so im not sure how trustworthy they are etc and not sure if there taking me for abit of a ride as i no nothing really....if any one has any surgestions it would be greatly appreciated thanku

cheers
pinaster
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.0 TSI (100bhp)

Post by pinaster »

it seems to me ....clogged filter? gelling diesel? is very cold where you live?
only a guess!
risker
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by risker »

garage says its a prob with the fly wheel, but its been driving fine with no problems or noises at all so im just not sure myself how it can be a prob with the flywheel???
NJQ
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by NJQ »

crank sensor does not get a signal from the flywheel it reads off the crankshaft itself flywheels can give problems but does not stop engine running
Hoggath
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Hoggath »

NJQ. Can you confirm this if defiantly correct. It gets its signal from the crank itself and not the flywheel. Thanks Alex. Or anyone else can validate.
Russie
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Russie »

The crank sensor gets it's signal from the rear crankshaft oil seal (yes, I know, quite bizzare, but I can assure you it does) the flywheel has nothing to do with it. P.S. I know because I've had experience of changing all of these components.
IF IT AIN'T BROKE, BREAK IT
Hoggath
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Hoggath »

Thanks very much. Counts out a comparability issue with the flywheel. Must have a broken wire in the loom.
djh1971
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by djh1971 »

Do you know what diagnostic equipment they are using I have had a few experiences with snap on code readers getting crank and cam sensor mixed up so the wrong sensor gets replaced
Hoggath
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Hoggath »

Was a snap on solus. However sorted it now. Was a broken wire in the loom. 3 infact. Thanks.