Gee's new ex BG Caddy Maxi

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
gee101a
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: RE: Re: Gee's new ex BG Caddy Maxi

Post by gee101a »

Simon46 wrote:Gee was your caddy maxi ex bg very bouncy on the rear before you lowered it? My ex bg bounces 3 times after a bump on the rear. mines not lowered but am looking for better standard rear shocks. Regards Simon
Hi Simon,
Couldn't tell you to be honest, I bought it at auction, had it delivered and started work on it straight away so didn't drive it.
Sounds to me like it could be shock absorbers are shot and it's just bouncing on the springs. That would be the first thing to check.
Regards
Gee.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
gee101a
200BHP+

Post by gee101a »

Maxi4life wrote:
I got the Darkside kit for the rear and just going to make do with H&R 60mm springs for now as it's been an expensive time getting all the big stuff done like life seat conversion, wheels and tyres etc. I'm thinking see how it goes for now and I can upgrade the shocks if need be as I'm also looking to carry some weight so that'll have an impact of it's own.

I've got a build thread on here although I havn't anything too exciting on it yet. Waiting on a mechanic to get back with a quote to fit the parts that I've got sitting here.
I'm going to do the rear seat conversion at some point, need to locate some rear seats that I've seen on eBay that are blue and grey. I think that's the colour scheme I'm after.
Once I've got the seats, brackets and seat belts is there much more to buy? Like trim, console carpet etc?

Maxi4life
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Re: Gee's new ex BG Caddy Maxi

Post by Maxi4life »

Yeah there's a fair bit mate. You can cut the bulkhead down to fill the gaps in the b pillar trim although I got the right trims for a maxi kombi. then there's the side door scuff plates, carpet, life center console, seat belt reel covers and re cut the front half of the rear roof lining from 3mm hardboard to cover the bolt holes left by the bulkhead. You might find Sirus Automotive a better option than sourcing the parts yourself as they have stacks of bits from conversions. The rear carpet alone will cost £600 new and it's things like this that Sirus will save you a fortune on.

The job itself is a big one as the fuel tank needs dropping for welding etc and there's painting involved.
gee101a
200BHP+

Post by gee101a »

Maxi4life wrote:Yeah there's a fair bit mate. You can cut the bulkhead down to fill the gaps in the b pillar trim although I got the right trims for a maxi kombi. then there's the side door scuff plates, carpet, life center console, seat belt reel covers and re cut the front half of the rear roof lining from 3mm hardboard to cover the bolt holes left by the bulkhead. You might find Sirus Automotive a better option than sourcing the parts yourself as they have stacks of bits from conversions. The rear carpet alone will cost £600 new and it's things like this that Sirus will save you a fortune on.

The job itself is a big one as the fuel tank needs dropping for welding etc and there's painting involved.
Thanks for that, might be worth bearing them in mind then. Did want to do as much of the upgrading as I could myself but I suppose it's all the trim parts that will be difficult to source unless buying new, and I would want it to look as much as possible factory finished.
Bulkhead removal is one of the jobs I'll be doing quite soon. Does this leave it needing some bits of trim then?

Maxi4life
Hyper Poster

Post by Maxi4life »

yeah it leaves holes in the headlining and gaps down the b pillars. Sirus only offer a bulkhead cut down mod for £50 but I got the trims from a kombi and sold the solid bulkhead to recover some money as it was in mint condition. Sirus also can be limited in what stock parts they have as most of the caddy's they convert are caddy life models into mobility cars and some trims you'll need are specific to a kombi.

I've got all the part no's for the Maxi kombi interior plastics so I think that I'll put a write up in this section. Doesn't mean that VW get the right parts sent out from the warehouse though as I found out they made dozens of mistakes when I was sourcing my bits.
gee101a
200BHP+

Post by gee101a »

Maxi4life wrote:yeah it leaves holes in the headlining and gaps down the b pillars. Sirus only offer a bulkhead cut down mod for £50 but I got the trims from a kombi and sold the solid bulkhead to recover some money as it was in mint condition. Sirus also can be limited in what stock parts they have as most of the caddy's they convert are caddy life models into mobility cars and some trims you'll need are specific to a kombi.

I've got all the part no's for the Maxi kombi interior plastics so I think that I'll put a write up in this section. Doesn't mean that VW get the right parts sent out from the warehouse though as I found out they made dozens of mistakes when I was sourcing my bits.
I think I'll go down the kombi route with trim panels etc.
Would be a good idea to list all the parts and part numbers, something that would definitely be of interest to me in the future.
Need to get the outside and rear suspension all sorted first, then start on the inside.

Simon46
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Simon46 »

Thanks gee. Looks like ill be going your route eventually when funds allow. Now does anybody have a good set of std rear shocks they are throwing away?
2011 1.6 102ps ex BG
1. remapped to 140 egr delete hyperchips then
2. Remapped to 150 egr delete celtic tuning with EA189 update yuk
3. EA189 Reversal and remapped to 140 egr delete cause its now BROKEN after EA189 YAY
225/40/18 ps3 Santiago wheels
Roof rails sidebars colourcoded mirrors Bumpers roofspoiler
Android dab head unit with passive underseat sub
Van-x glovebox and cruise control and rear barn door interior handle fitted
Maxi4life
Hyper Poster

Post by Maxi4life »

Gee I've just done a write up in the Maxi forum, hopefully this will save some headaches haha.

http://www.caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=30522" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gee101a
200BHP+

Post by gee101a »

Maxi4life wrote:Gee I've just done a write up in the Maxi forum, hopefully this will save some headaches haha.

http://www.caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=30522" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nice one, good write up
Gee

gee101a
200BHP+

Post by gee101a »

Finally got the Maxi ride height and axle relocation sorted. Removed and re-drilled the bottom plate (will do a thread on the process). Sits perfect now I think.
Axle relocation and lowering now sorted
Axle relocation and lowering now sorted
gee101a
200BHP+

Post by gee101a »

_20170430_185908.JPG
Maxi4life
Hyper Poster

Post by Maxi4life »

gee101a wrote:Thanks mate. When you lower yours, depending on how much you want to go down I'd have a look round at kits first.
I used a vmaxx kit and to be honest am a bit disappointed how the back turned out. I thought I might need an axle relocation kit, which I do, but on the lowest setting it's still not quite as low as I'd like it. I'm now going to refit the standard rear spring hangers as that go down a little more and see how that looks.
If I was to do it again I would look at buying front and rear separately, Darkside do a rear kit for about £200, might be worth going down that route. Be interesting to hear what others think!
Good luck with yours, be interested to hear how it goes.
Cheers
Gee
Overlooked this thread in the past few days. I think the first thing I'm going to look at is chucking all my kit in the back and see how it sits first then take it from there. Then If it can be lowered any I'd be quite happy that the rear sits a bit higher as it gives me room for some loading.
Drew2k
200BHP+

Post by Drew2k »

Van looks great fella. Think I read in another post/thread re’ wheel size that yours are 19”x8.5j et40 is that right? If so what size tyres are you running and do you get any issues with clearance with the sliding doors? Thanks!! 👊
Drew2k
200BHP+

Post by Drew2k »

Drew2k wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:01 pm Van looks great fella. Think I read in another post/thread re’ wheel size that yours are 19”x8.5j et40 is that right? If so what size tyres are you running and do you get any issues with clearance with the sliding doors? Thanks!! 👊
Sorry, just opened my eyes and answered all my questions above.......😂🙈
Apart from tyre size?! Cheers!!
gee101a
200BHP+

Post by gee101a »

Hi Drew, not been on here for a while. Side doors open fine, very close but don’t touch at all. I’ve removed the inner rear plastic arches because the noise was annoying me but some people leave them in and eventually the tyre wears through it.
Tyres are 235/35/19 they don’t touch anywhere but only thing is there is a little stretch on them and I’ve scuffed the rims a bit because there’s no protection on them. Fitting a wider tyre would give the rim a bit of protection but not sure if it would touch on the wheel arches or not.
Hope this helps.
Gee