Can't find a local garage to fit my lowering kit.

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Maxi4life
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Can't find a local garage to fit my lowering kit.

Post by Maxi4life »

Calling in to local garages to get lowering kit, caliper carriers/discs fitted and they seem like they wan't to be helpful but then don't call me to give a price and book in. Seems it's a risky business for them regards safety.

So I'm considering just doing it myself as I have in the past but never with leaf springs. My only question really is regarding the rear leaf springs. Are they under any kind of tension once the back is jacked up off the floor?

And will I need to wind back the pistons to fit the front caliper carriers/discs?
stevie205
100BHP+

Re: Can't find a local garage to fit my lowering kit.

Post by stevie205 »

The front disc brakes don't need winding back on the piston. It's only disc brakes that also use a handbrake, so usually only rear disc brakes.
Just use some big grips to squeeze the piston back into the calliper. Although make sure there is room in your brake fluid reservoir for the extra fluid that will return when squeezing the piston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maxi4life
Hyper Poster

Post by Maxi4life »

Cheers stevie205 not done brake discs/pads before. Also from what I can see the rear leaf springs should be under no tension once I raise the rear wheels off the ground, and this should be pretty easy to do with the rear up on axel stands?

I don't want to end up in a position where I have unbolted things and find out that it's impossible without a ramp. I'm going to get a decent socket set from Halfords sale as I've got the other stuff and can probably save a few hundred quid and have decent tools for working on the van at the same time.
stevie205
100BHP+

Post by stevie205 »

I lowered mine on axle stands. I don't remember it being much of a problem at all. Good luck with it mate

stevie205
100BHP+

Post by stevie205 »

Plenty of information on here about lowering it, should come with instructions as well.

Maxi4life
Hyper Poster

Post by Maxi4life »

Thanks that's made my mind up I'm going to do it myself. Cheers!
tommyzooom
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by tommyzooom »

Rear leafs aren't under any tension really. Front springs are much more dangerous, you'll need spring compresssors.
I did mine on axle stands too
My Website
My Instagram

""Don't want to meet your daddy, just want you in my Caddy"" André 3000 (2003) ;)
gee101a
200BHP+

Post by gee101a »

I did mine myself a couple of weeks ago, like you I had done McPherson struts before but not leaf springs. I thought it was really easy and also did it on axle stands.
As I said in one of my threads I was disappointed with the height and need to centralise the wheels with the vmaxx kit.
R.A.D. Have withdrawn one of the plates they sell because of a manufacturing issue and not sure when it will be resolved.
I'm thinking about sourcing something myself, appears to be a piece of 10mm thick flat bar with some holes.
Will look into it and if successful I'll share the results.
Gee
gee101a
200BHP+

Post by gee101a »

By the way, I had the thread titled "axle flip guide (and naked women)" open on my iPad whilst doing it just in case. Worth reading through that.
Erniemk1mk3
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by Erniemk1mk3 »

Axle stands also..mind you everything was siezed and did struggle getting the long bar in too crack the nuts ,,the rear shocks were also a bugger,, and had too remove the rear bumper too get too the Spring shackles,,,but that did help. There's 2 grommets either side and once removed easy access too the bolts,
Disc are easy undo the brake nipple so there not under pressure and push back the Pistons ,release the pads and replace ,, make sure you put a pipe onto the bleed nipple other wise you'll have brake fluid everywhere,,hope that helps
Maxi4life
Hyper Poster

Post by Maxi4life »

Thanks for all of the replies! Popped into halfords to pick up my new shiney socket sets and a can of penetration fluid to make the job easy, they've got half price on their tools at the moment so I bought a 3/8" 1/4" and 1/2" set of hollow drive ratchets and sockets. Never have a decent set when I need one but never got the urge to spend on tools when I don't need them for work but saved £150 on the tools and probably more on labour costs so it's win win :D
somacose
100BHP+

Post by somacose »

I'd like to fit decent shocks/springs to the front and decent rear shocks as the van does wallow a fair amount (I'm used to bilstein B12 on my mk2 golf) but as for lowering that's out of the question, dropping the leaf spring below the axle would guarantee it would snag on some of the roads I drive over in Galloway and attempting access to a mates cottage in the hills would be painfull.

Halfords has proved to be expensive this week, bought their special deal on 3 industrial tool chests for £399, should I fill the boxes with my old sp sockets or go the whole hog and splurge on new Halfords advanced inserts and sockets :? , it's a quandry for sure
2013 Caddy Highline superchipped but still no match for my Mk2 Golf GTI
DomP
100BHP+

Post by DomP »

How much is the handling improved by H@R springs and rear axle flip kit with a minimal drop of say 45mm?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
torque777
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Re: RE: Re: Can't find a local garage to fit my lowering kit.

Post by torque777 »

somacose wrote:I'd like to fit decent shocks/springs to the front and decent rear shocks as the van does wallow a fair amount (I'm used to bilstein B12 on my mk2 golf) but as for lowering that's out of the question, dropping the leaf spring below the axle would guarantee it would snag on some of the roads I drive over in Galloway and attempting access to a mates cottage in the hills would be painfull.

Halfords has proved to be expensive this week, bought their special deal on 3 industrial tool chests for £399, should I fill the boxes with my old sp sockets or go the whole hog and splurge on new Halfords advanced inserts and sockets :? , it's a quandry for sure
You can get decent bilstein or koni heavy track dampers for standard height caddys, this will improve the ride no end

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
somacose
100BHP+

Post by somacose »

cheers torque777, away for a google as to whats available.
2013 Caddy Highline superchipped but still no match for my Mk2 Golf GTI