Window blanks

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Sam-Caddy-S
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Window blanks

Post by Sam-Caddy-S »

Hi

I've recently bought my first caddy, I'm wondering what to do it regards to the rear windows of the van. Either to fit security blanks, just have them tinted or both. At the moment I darent leave a thing in the back incase the windows are smashed and whatevers in back nicked!

Just wanting to know people's opinions or experiences really, is it a case of if you fit blanks and have them tinted the scrotes then think you're hiding somthing!?

Any feed back would be great!

Cheers Sam
stevie205
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Re: Window blanks

Post by stevie205 »

My van has black vinyl stuck on the back windows, so from the outside it looks like dark window tints, but you can't actually see through them. I've owned it 2.5 years without any issues but the area is low crime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LankyWill
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.0 TSI (100bhp)

Window blanks

Post by LankyWill »

I've got deadlocks on barn and side door with tints and window blanks. That with a full bulkhead and the van is pretty secure. I don't bother unloading tools now but I have got CCTV and floodlight over drive.

My advice- do both

Sam-Caddy-S
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Sam-Caddy-S »

I'm thinking of fitting blanks and tinting the windows at the minute, nice to see what other people are doing with their vans in regards to security. Other than breaking in through the glass windows are caddys known for being broken into any other ways? Sorry for such a crappy subject, I'm just looking at options for beefing security up on the van.

Thanks again
caddywupz
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by caddywupz »

I'm looking at getting rid of my rear window black vinyl which came on the van as I want to be able to actually see outside when I'm inside as I'm converting it to a camper.

Looking for suggestions as to what I could replace it with - removable black window ply perhaps? Something else?
Photographer & Caddy Conversion-er
Instagram Photos: neil_irwin
Instagram Caddy: caddywupz
LankyWill
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.0 TSI (100bhp)

Post by LankyWill »

Sam-Caddy-S wrote:I'm thinking of fitting blanks and tinting the windows at the minute, nice to see what other people are doing with their vans in regards to security. Other than breaking in through the glass windows are caddys known for being broken into any other ways? Sorry for such a crappy subject, I'm just looking at options for beefing security up on the van.

Thanks again
I've not heard of a caddy being broken into as such, plenty of transit connects. I still wouldn't take that as an excuse not to secure it though.

Geebs
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by Geebs »

Fitted a 6mm ply complete bulkhead with a 'window' cut out to see out the rear. I got 'limo' tints on the back windows, and when I fit the cover over the window in the bulkhead to cut out any borrowed light, you can see practically nowt in through the back. You get a decent view out through the glass though just the same. I'm in a low crime area also, but leave my MTBikes in it and that is a potential worry in lots of places I visit. I use it to kip in when I'm away with the bike, and don't want anyone looking in when I'm ogling the burds in 'Big Boobs Monthly'.... :roll:
derbydave
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by derbydave »

to be fair, i think by that logic, scrotes would look at any van.. or moreso those with NO windows.. as a target because they're hiding their contents. If the scrotes are smart they take less gamble on the unknown content risk.

I guess im saying people with vans hide their stuff all the time so don't worry about whos looking at it, unless you want to give people a clear view in so they know the contents. Welcome to van life :D haha.

Mine has both dark tints (70ish %) and security blanks. if looks are a concern, the blanks look better with the windows tinted.. or rather, you cant see them, thats for sure. on plain windows you can see theyre there.

I originally bought the van as it's better spec (heated rear windows, wiper), but after thought I realised:
- I want to carpet the rear interior (also nicer for me if i sleep in the back which I plan to occasionally),
- and the rear doors look better fully covered IMHO (and give more privacy),

so having seen it in a build thread or 2, so the blanks will help me with that. thats my take on it.. not sure it helps but there y'goo!
caddywupz
200BHP+

Post by caddywupz »

Just so I'm on the right wave length - can someone please show me what these blanks look like?
Photographer & Caddy Conversion-er
Instagram Photos: neil_irwin
Instagram Caddy: caddywupz
Sam-Caddy-S
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Sam-Caddy-S »

Looks wise I'm also on the opinion that they look better tinted, a friend of mine had his caddy broken into and he had blanks fit. The scrotes smashed the window and booted the window blanks out as well, suppose it's got to be a pretty determined scrote to do this. And I'm not sure how well the window blanks were fitted! Cheers for replys!
derbydave
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by derbydave »

not speaking for all kinds, but my blanks just have some tabs that fold to be flat against the inside edge of metal around the window. 3.5-4mm ish dome head screws attach them by drilling some pilot holes in your door. i need to get a photobucket account or something then i could post up a pic.
2KDave
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by 2KDave »

I've got tinted rear windows plus the vw window blanks, deadlocks and an additional alarm system which may all be overkill as no ones ever tried to get past the windows. blanks are a relatively cheap addition for some peace of mind though ;)
Yeti
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Yeti »

You could do all that.... Personally, I just reverse up to the wall when I park at night 8)
Sorry chaps, much as our 2k looks nice, I prefer my Mk2. ;)
dopeytree
100BHP+

Post by dopeytree »

I've got an ex british gas caddy & they seem to have painted the windows black so I've left the blanking metal guards in place. If you're worried about getting stuff nicked then I've prob put those in. You can also get grill ones.
2011 1.6 TDI - ex british gas caddy maxi http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30795

Mk4 rear lights, Auto headlights, Passat w8 interior leds, 18" supermetal bullets, Polo MFSW, Touran doorcards exit lights, carpet sports seats & storage bases. VanX glovebox, Audi air vents, Sirus rear seat conversion, Privacy rear windows, RCD 330 CarPlay, Speakerupgrade underseat sub, Leisure battery, 3000w inverter.