Emmision update

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
SAL
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Emmision update

Post by SAL »

Tell me I'm not the only one going mad since the update?

Mpg is terrible
Dsg has decided it won't change on hills
Dpf is pretty much in charge every time I drive the van

I can watch the fuel gauge drop one short trip and and the van feels slow, I can't be alone with these problems
dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Re: Emmision update

Post by dan@biali »

You're not alone. I've read quite a bit in the press about problems with the recall work but more to do with the cars.
jburton46
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by jburton46 »

Saw this earlier on Facebook.

Discuss this one

Copied this from another group 'tiguan owners uk'
This is from a VW EX service manager

My advice as an EX VW Service manager, to any VW, Audi Seat or Skoda owner with the affected engines would be DON'T HAVE THE EMISSIONS RECALL DONE!!!.
in the 8 months before i left VW we carried out a few hundred of these recalls. after the second week we had owners complaining of poor running increased fuel consumption and more engine noise. in the beginning we were allowed to put the old software back. but after about 6 weeks we were stopped from doing this by VW technical services.
the new emissions software does not offer complete combustion, this was supposedly to lower the Nox emissions. but in doing this VW/Audi have caused a whole new list of problems. with the incomplete combustion MORE carbon is produced, therefore the EGR valve has to work harder and gets clogged up in double quick time. also another direct result of the extra carbon is a higher rate of DPF regenerations, this can be as often as every 100 miles. EGR valves will fail and VW's answer is to replace them at the owners cost, then deny any link to the new software. this is why i left them i could not abide having to lie to the customer. in the last three months that iworked for VW we replaced over 200 EGR valves as a result of the new software. this procedure is costing the owner upwards of £900.00
DPF failure is less common but it is happening, other problems include premature engine wear caused by the odd failed DPF regeneration, causing unburnt fuel to find its way into the sump and the lesser viscosity it is not lubricating the top of the engine correctly. these engins need a specific oil and any dilution is having a negative effect.
my advice is... i know this is an owner cost option but... at half the price of a EGR replacement and saving further engine problems... a remap would solve the poor running ans increased fuel consumption in one go. the 2.0tdi engine was bult to run with the 177bhp mapping as an option when the car was new the 140bhp was just de-tuned to suit a sales pitch and a government target. since leaving VW i have recomended to hundreds of owners that a good tuner can reverse the update . most are finding that on a log drive the economy is slighlt better than original.
going back to the recall. you do not have to get it done... it is not a legal requirement... it is not a safety recall... dont get it done, but if you have already been "done". then all is not lost...remap.
i do think that in time Vw / Audi will be forced to offer owners their old software back. but i am not expecting that to happen in the short term.
2KDave
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by 2KDave »

Not sure about DSGs as mines manual but there's definately been a change in mine. The DPF has been my biggest gripe, constantly running a regen and sitting at 1000rpm when idling.
Has anyone spoke to VW about this?
rong236
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Re: RE: Re: Emmision update

Post by rong236 »

2KDave wrote:Not sure about DSGs as mines manual but there's definately been a change in mine. The DPF has been my biggest gripe, constantly running a regen and sitting at 1000rpm when idling.
Has anyone spoke to VW about this?
My caddy does this a lot since VW installed there software. I might pay them a visit next week.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
2KDave
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by 2KDave »

That's very interesting Jburton46, may run it by them if I get the chance to pop in. Mines been mapped but still regens alot, feels like a ticking time bomb with this and the injector issue.......
SAL
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by SAL »

I'm giving them hassle, the regen is driving me mad. I drove from London to Newquay on Friday with the van doing a regen when I left. After a few miles it was fine. Then after 5 hours driving at 77 ish mph I get to Newquay and it goes into regen, Iv had enough if it. I'm driving to them and not leaving there workshop until something is sorted, they won't call me back as they no I'm fuming about the situation! They have kind of ruined my 18.000 mile kombi which cost me silly money two years ago!
caddybus
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by caddybus »

Had a remap done on my 2.0tdi and seems to have improved no-end including mpg's.
rong236
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by rong236 »

I've heard story's about people getting compensation from VW if they bought there Caddy's before the emissions scandal.
Does anyone know if this is true or just tales through Facebook?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk