Which fuel do you use?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Joeski
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Which fuel do you use?

Post by Joeski »

As the title states really.

I've never owned a car/van which i've cared about, so they've always been fed on the cheapest fuel I can find. Now I have my Caddy though, it's something I want to treat well, lick clean and read bedtime stories to....

So with that in mind, is it worth treating it to the posh mega diesel at Shell? There's a hell of a price difference between V-Power and standard, then another drop to the supermarket prices, so i'm wondering if it's worth the price difference. You used to be able to throw anything in diesel's but with all the modern technology in them, i'm wondering if a "better" fuel would be kinder on things like the injectors which we hear about failing on a daily basis....

Just thinking out loud, any input welcome :)
tangoed-caddy
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Re: Which fuel do you use?

Post by tangoed-caddy »

I always fill van up at shell, and I never go to supermarket garages now. Not worth going for the more expensive v power diesel....fifth gear done test and wouldn't notice any difference on roads.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
Geraout
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by Geraout »

I use standard branded fuel and add a Fuel Additive

Archoil 6200 is said to be one of the better ones and lists a lot more benefits than BP Ultimate. Archoil costs £32 for 250ml, or 12.8p / ml. It needs to be added at 1ml / 10 litres. So for 40 litres of it would need 4ml at a cost of 51p.

The additional cost of the BP Ultimate at about 12p per litre would be £4.80.
LankyWill
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.0 TSI (100bhp)

Post by LankyWill »

I always use either shell or bp, that said i tried a full tank of BP's Ultimate diesel and could feel the benefits. If your in to all that RedEx stuff and additives you may as well save the hassle and just use Premium Diesel.
Geraout
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by Geraout »

LankyWill wrote:If your in to all that RedEx stuff and additives you may as well save the hassle and just use Premium Diesel.
My point is though that additives give more benefits than premium fuel at a 10th of the cost.
Its really no hassle to squirt a bit in when filling up...
torque777
Hyper Poster

Post by torque777 »

I use regular shell diesel and then use diesel rhino additive

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
Ant290
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by Ant290 »

After reading this last night I filled up with normal diesel and popped a serving of redex in...

The golf claimed an extra 4-5 mpg over the journey from work (35 miles). Is this expected or a placebo?
TobyMTDI
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by TobyMTDI »

I've always used the cheapest supermarket diesel in my pd105 octavia, and it's just crossed the 200k mark without any issues. I've managed to squeeze 70mpg out of it on a (slow) run before too, doubt different diesel would improve that much.

I tried shell v power once and never noticed the difference, but maybe that's just me?
Joeski
Caddy Fan

Post by Joeski »

I've always been under the impression that in order to reap the "benefits" of using something like v-power you need to run a few tanks of it before you'll see any difference...I guess the ecu may learn any differences in fuel efficiency? I dunno, could be complete ball-sap for all I know but it kinda makes sense.

I think i'm going to drag myself away from the supermarket stuff and start using the standard shell diesel....the price difference over a tank really isn't that much
Ant290
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by Ant290 »

Update.
Normal service has been resumed this week with economy (on the same tank of fuel).

Have still put some in the caddy as I had it.
ekeamonn
Caddy Fan

Post by ekeamonn »

I often wonder the same if fuel brand makes a difference. If you were ever at a dock when fuel was being unlaoded you will see all companies taking it from the same big tank and you would have to wonder what else they can add to it.
Tee-caddy
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Tee-caddy »

I always use shell as its just up the road from me.
I have added some archoil 6400-d and im half way through a full tank.
Running quieter so far and smoother on the motorway.not noticed much difference through the gears though.
need4speed
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by need4speed »

Don't know where it's from but there is a funny red tinge to it that I don't understand........
Joeski
Caddy Fan

Post by Joeski »

need4speed wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 11:22 pm Don't know where it's from but there is a funny red tinge to it that I don't understand........
only works if you're chewing corn at the same time!
syrobs
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by syrobs »

I've been using BP ultimate for about 2 months now, I put normal diesel in yesterday and this morning when I pulled away it felt like I lost turbo! This can't surely be from going back to normal diesel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk