BXE

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
need4speed
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

BXE

Post by need4speed »

Ok. I had intended to PM doc with this question as I've seen some of his older posts on this subject. However I'm still unable to PM anyone. Sooooooooo

Did people ever reach a definitive conclusion how to prevent the infamous BXE grenading itself?

I've just realised that my 06 Touran is afflicted with this engine code.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: BXE

Post by Doc »

Dunno why you'd PM me with this, I have zero experience with any prevention of a BXE failure.
Sorry.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
need4speed
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by need4speed »

Hmmm that's odd. I saw some old posts of yours with hi res pics and everything with you suggesting that it could be related to advanced timing...

Must have been another doc.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

Hmmm, don't ever remember an in depth discussion of BXE engines on this forum, there have been a few topics on BLS failures where people like @Touque777 and @danny4646 posted photos of the smashed connecting rods and big end bearing damage.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
need4speed
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by need4speed »

Yes it was BLS but it's the exact same failure that is more common to the BXE..

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19446&start=30
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

Yep, my reply on there was purely speculation, I am by no means an expert on engines. There's a few topics in the engines and transmissions section of the forum that will make good reading when you have access.

torque777
Hyper Poster

Post by torque777 »

It was my bls that self detonated... I've had a bxe mk5 golf before and we also run a 2006 jetta with the bxe in it and this has now done 124k but is completely standard, I've talked to a few engine builders, and I've come to the conclusion that if you have a running bxe or bls and plan on keeping it awhile then a good upgrade would be to fit H beam bilet rods, new splutter big end shells with arp rod bolts, upgrade the oil pump to a higher flow one, (I been told mk4 oil pump is better) then while the heads off and pistons out fit new rings and gaskets, also fit arp head bolts and and new belts, you are looking at around 1k for that, if you definitely want to keep it all standard looking under bonnet then this is a good choice or it is a good Base engine now to add power too, the other option is to modify and fit a mk4 pd asw or arl, you can pick these up from £400 upwards which is cheaper but plus fitting and a clutch too while it's out, it really all depends which way you prefer

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

need4speed
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by need4speed »

Lot of work either way.

What I might do is just run it without modification whilst building an engine in the garage at the same time.
need4speed
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by need4speed »

Still can't get access to the engine section so need to post this here.

Regarding anyone anyone worrying about the BXE / BLS engines going boom, I received a reply today from Darkside. They said that they have found that after fitting genuine ARP conrod bolts they haven't witnessed a single rod failure... And as far as I'm aware the boys at Darkside know they're onions..

So with that being said I will fit new sputter bearings as a precaution and fit the ARP bolts and go with that.