What to do first!?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
LSG
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

What to do first!?

Post by LSG »

Hi Guys,
I took the plunge yesterday and purchased a Maxi (Ex Gas) with the only previous owner being BG.

Obviously the van is completely standard and I'm looking to get started right away!

I've booked her in to be colour coded in two weeks and I'm planning side bars, roof rails, wheels, new seats, double din and a rear sliding bed conversion- insulated and carpeted.

First job is to pull the steel shelving out, but other than that can anyone advise on which jobs are best to do first? I'm sitting here picturing my self pulling the carpet back out for a job I didn't think of beforehand!

Any tips greatly appreciated! - I'll try and get some photos up once I get started.
MartinKnight
Caddy Fan

Re: What to do first!?

Post by MartinKnight »

Good Luck LSG, it's a fun job and there is loads of info on here if you look for it or spend the time getting you're post count up.

My process was;

Strip out anything you don't want plus any roof/door/panel lining (obviously keep these to reuse or as templates)

Sort out any holes/issues caused by previous fittings, also gaffer/helitape all the holes in the frame you'll want to carpet over later.

Fit sound insulation.

Fit any wiring for lights etc - I put a few rivnuts in as well at this stage in case I wanted to add stuff later.

Fit wiring for massive speakers that make your tummy go wobbly.

Fit thermal insulation.

Carpet sides, and any panels you have kept, you can, with a bit of work get more storage in the doors if you think about it - also at this point it's worth thinking about a rear door release from the inside.

Fit flooring with spacers if you need to bolt down your R&R bed so it does'nt warp the floor.

Fit bed.

Christen bed.

Stand back and admire all your hard work realising what you will do differently next time.

Enjoy!

ps, you MUST lower it!!!

Also do post some pics.
2016 Caddy Maxi Highline Eu6 stage 1 map, Day van conversion, lowered on Bilsteins
LSG
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Re: What to do first!?

Post by LSG »

Cheers Martin!
I hadn't thought about an inside door release, or covering the holes in the frame-work, exactly the kind of useful info i was after! Do you think its worth running spare wiring for lights or speakers just incase you decide you want some later on? (I'm thinking after the double din goes in)

I've just ordered up a rear spoiler from Vanstyle, after looking on here it seems to be the best quality for your money. So the spray shop can colour that when they're doing the bumpers.

I wonder if anyone on here has sold their rear shelves out of a BG maxi? i haven't got a clue what theyre worth? (could fund some other upgrades) There were some on ebay for £175, but that might be a dreamer.

As soon as ive had her sprayed up ill post some before and afters!

What lowering kit did you use Martin?

Cheers!