Injector leaking ?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
bigfatolly
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.0 TSI (100bhp)

Injector leaking ?

Post by bigfatolly »

Last few days I've noticed the smell of fuel after a journey,and smelt it in the cab when the blower is on. Popped bonnet today and there appears to be pools of fuel around all four injectors.It's not oil as you can see from the pic of the kitchen roll.
I had an injector replaced a month ago by VW ,I've done around 700 miles since.
Any ideas as to the cause?
Will be taking it back to VW tomorrow.ImageImage

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Beats
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Injector leaking ?

Post by Beats »

I've had vw change one of my injectors and have also notice some fuel around the top. Let us know how you got on.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

It's possible the fuel was spilled from the pipes when changing the injector.
Clean it up with some kitchen tissue and something like carb cleaner and then monitor it to see if it is still leaking.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
bigfatolly
100BHP+

Post by bigfatolly »

It's only happened in last few days Doc,as I had the engine cover off a week or so ago,as I wanted to check the part numbers on top of the other injectors and it was clean around that area then.
I noticed the smell of fuel after a journey,and could smell it in the cab so thought I would check it out.
Simon46
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Simon46 »

I had a problem with the leak off return pipe not staying in and causing a pool after replacing no 1.
2011 1.6 102ps ex BG
1. remapped to 140 egr delete hyperchips then
2. Remapped to 150 egr delete celtic tuning with EA189 update yuk
3. EA189 Reversal and remapped to 140 egr delete cause its now BROKEN after EA189 YAY
225/40/18 ps3 Santiago wheels
Roof rails sidebars colourcoded mirrors Bumpers roofspoiler
Android dab head unit with passive underseat sub
Van-x glovebox and cruise control and rear barn door interior handle fitted
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

In that case, bring it back to the dealer.
They may have damaged a spill off pipe seal when changing the injectors. Possibly even forgot to change the original seal for the new spec seal to suit the new injector.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
John stratton
100BHP+

Post by John stratton »

Doc wrote:In that case, bring it back to the dealer.
They may have damaged a spill off pipe seal when changing the injectors. Possibly even forgot to change the original seal for the new spec seal to suit the new injector.
Could well be the previously suggested issue but I know if they nip one of the top cover seals when removing and replacing the injector engine oil can seep past causing it to pool around the four seals .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bigfatolly
100BHP+

Post by bigfatolly »

Well ,took it back to the dealer,they cleaned up the pools of diesel,basically said they were probably there when the injector was changed.
Thoroughly checked ,ran the engine and took it out on two runs,they insist there is no leak.
If this is so then not sure why I was getting a diesel smell after 500 miles,surely I would have noticed it before?
They also said that the engine cover I had with the sound deadening had absorbed some diesel residue and that may have contributed to the smell.
It didn't cost me anything to have it checked but I did inform them I will be keeping an eye on it and will be taking it straight back if I spot any more fuel there.
John stratton
100BHP+

Post by John stratton »

bigfatolly wrote:Well ,took it back to the dealer,they cleaned up the pools of diesel,basically said they were probably there when the injector was changed.
Thoroughly checked ,ran the engine and took it out on two runs,they insist there is no leak.
If this is so then not sure why I was getting a diesel smell after 500 miles,surely I would have noticed it before?
They also said that the engine cover I had with the sound deadening had absorbed some diesel residue and that may have contributed to the smell.
It didn't cost me anything to have it checked but I did inform them I will be keeping an eye on it and will be taking it straight back if I spot any more fuel there.
They probably found a fuel return pipe not clipped in correctly . It's a design where the metal clip has to be inserted correctly , it grips both sides of the connection which hold it in position and ensures the seal is seated correctly . Hopefully be ok now . If it appears again make sure it is diesel fuel and not engine oil as the seals where the injector goes in can let engine oil deep through as they age or get caught and damaged when injectors are replaced .

John stratton
100BHP+

Injector leaking ?

Post by John stratton »

John stratton wrote:
They probably found a fuel return pipe not clipped in correctly . It's a design where the metal clip has to be inserted correctly , it grips both sides of the connection which hold it in position and ensures the seal is seated correctly . Hopefully be ok now . If it appears again make sure it is diesel fuel and not engine oil as the seals where the injector goes in can let engine oil seep through as they age or get caught and damaged when injectors are replaced .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quot

Smythy111
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by Smythy111 »

I just found diesel surrounding all my injectors. Cleaned it off and does not leak when van not running. When running idle I can see the fuel starting to gather at 1 & 3 injectors. Also I can see bubbles coming from the side of number one injector. Engine is running fine at idle and I did not notice any power loss at any stage before. Please tell me it's not the injectors themselves and more likely the fuel return pipes and injector seals.

Alan

Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

It's likely the spill off pipe O rings need replacing.

John stratton
100BHP+

Post by John stratton »

Doc wrote:It's likely the spill off pipe O rings need replacing.
Agree with Doc . These sealing rings need to be replaced after injector replacement . If they are not replaced along with new push in clips they are prone to leakage . Something I am afraid is not always done . Also it's critical that the clips grip the connection on both sides . Again an easy mistake even by dealers .

Smythy111
Caddy Fan

Post by Smythy111 »

Thanks lads. I was panicking at the thought of having to get the injectors done.

Alan

Smythy111
Caddy Fan

Post by Smythy111 »

What about the bubbles from the top of the injectors

Alan