DAB aerial cable location within dashboard?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
D5vek
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

DAB aerial cable location within dashboard?

Post by D5vek »

I have an rns 315 fitted in my 2014 highline from new (I think).

The wing mirror dab aerial is fitted, I have traced the cable back to through the door by removing the door cards.

From there it is connected with the cream coloured connectors then back into the van and under the glovebox area.

But after this it looks to go into the loom of wires and is untraceable, the other end is no where to be seen at the back of the head unit? Am I missing something? Is there anything I need to purchase to get the DAB up and running?

Thanks in advance
Gaj69
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Re: DAB aerial cable location within dashboard?

Post by Gaj69 »

Are you saying your dab aerial is not working?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beaker2135
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Beaker2135 »

Cream or beige is for FM there will be one in both mirrors terminating in a double connector behind the radio
If you have DAB from factory there will be 3 areial connectors in the passenger mirror FM (beige) DAB (black) GPS (blue)
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is
D5vek
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by D5vek »

Gaj69 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:39 am Are you saying your dab aerial is not working?

Sorry, yes the DAB is not working I get a symbol which looks like no aerial symbol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
D5vek
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by D5vek »

Beaker2135 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:09 am Cream or beige is for FM there will be one in both mirrors terminating in a double connector behind the radio
If you have DAB from factory there will be 3 areial connectors in the passenger mirror FM (beige) DAB (black) GPS (blue)

I have had the mirror apart also and it doesn't look like there are any other connectors/wires or plug in points for anything other than what you say is FM.

Maybe there is no DAB as standard, I will have a trip to VW see if they can have a look
Beaker2135
Hyper Poster

Post by Beaker2135 »

You can retro fit the aerial in the mirror fairly easily, but it cost close to £150. Then you still have to get the extra cables from the top of the door cards to behind the radio. For DAB most people fit an after market aerial, either on the screen or a shark fin. Pros and cons for both
D5vek
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by D5vek »

Beaker2135 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:55 pm You can retro fit the aerial in the mirror fairly easily, but it cost close to £150. Then you still have to get the extra cables from the top of the door cards to behind the radio. For DAB most people fit an after market aerial, either on the screen or a shark fin. Pros and cons for both

So basically the crazy looking aerial thing within my passenger wing mirror is actually just the normal fm aerial? As it only has one connector (cream coloured). Strange because I thought the fm aerial was in the windscreen.

Also did a test earlier, had the radio playing then disconnected the cream coloured connector and nothing happened, radio still was playing fine, sat nav also working fine. So not really sure what it is now?
Beaker2135
Hyper Poster

Post by Beaker2135 »

The areial was in the screen for some pre facelift vans
There are 2 FM aerials one in each mirror so you would still get reception if you disconnected 1
If some has fitted the 315 after ey will probably have fitted a GPS antenna behind the dash
Have you had the radio out to see what is behind it?
D5vek
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by D5vek »

Beaker2135 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:35 pm The areial was in the screen for some pre facelift vans
There are 2 FM aerials one in each mirror so you would still get reception if you disconnected 1
If some has fitted the 315 after ey will probably have fitted a GPS antenna behind the dash
Have you had the radio out to see what is behind it?
Yep, all I have behind the radio is , the blue fakra connector plugged in at the bottom which I presume is the antenna for radio or gps then all the other standard radio connections. The fakra connector at the top of the radio unit is free which I understand is the DAB ? Had my hand down the back to see if there are any spare connections that might have unplugged but nothing there.

So my options seem to be what u mentioned before, really wanted to avoid a glass mounted DAB antenna though.
Beaker2135
Hyper Poster

Post by Beaker2135 »

Yes the blue one is GPS, the DAB would be black.
I had a screen areial, Autoleads DAB-AA1, it worked well enough and was only about £20. Like you though I didn't like the look so I fitted the OEM areial, 2K5-035-525-S, in the left mirror
The cable tails come just inside the door so need to be extended. A replacement door loom only takes them to the multi-plug in the 'A' post and I decided it would be ridiculously to get the next piece of the OEM loom and couldn't get the proper connectors for the multi-plug. So I spoke to co-star, http://www.co-star.co.uk and they made up 2 cables for me, FAKRA RG58 coax cables 1@ 2m GPS (blue) female to 90° universal female 1@ 2m DAB (black) female to 90° universal female. To make sure I could thread them through the multi-plug I asked for all the ends to be left loose, it would be better though to get the coloured ends crimped by them and just have the universal ones loose
D5vek
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by D5vek »

Beaker2135 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:24 am Yes the blue one is GPS, the DAB would be black.
I had a screen areial, Autoleads DAB-AA1, it worked well enough and was only about £20. Like you though I didn't like the look so I fitted the OEM areial, 2K5-035-525-S, in the left mirror
The cable tails come just inside the door so need to be extended. A replacement door loom only takes them to the multi-plug in the 'A' post and I decided it would be ridiculously to get the next piece of the OEM loom and couldn't get the proper connectors for the multi-plug. So I spoke to co-star, http://www.co-star.co.uk and they made up 2 cables for me, FAKRA RG58 coax cables 1@ 2m GPS (blue) female to 90° universal female 1@ 2m DAB (black) female to 90° universal female. To make sure I could thread them through the multi-plug I asked for all the ends to be left loose, it would be better though to get the coloured ends crimped by them and just have the universal ones loose

I'm glad there's someone else out there thinking like me, top advice mate I'm gunna set about doing this in the next couple of weeks 👍🏻