New door?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Celticrsmith
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

New door?

Post by Celticrsmith »

My os sliding door looks to have had something push against it from the inside, causing a crease. I reckon I'm just as cheap sourcing a mint replacement rather than paying for the labour to try fix it. Question is, would the replacement door have to be a colour match prior to a respray or does it not matter what colour
Maxi4life
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Re: New door?

Post by Maxi4life »

Paint colour is going to be a lottery mate. Might get away with it might not.
Dougster
Caddy Fan

Post by Dougster »

You going for a full respray cause it could be a fortune!!
Celticrsmith
Hyper Poster

Post by Celticrsmith »

I think the point I'm trying to make is that when a panel is resprayed, does it always get a primer coat on 1st or does the new colour just get added on? Surely this would depend on the original colour?

Nah, don't want a full respray, just want the door not looking like a sack of potatoes lol
Maxi4life
Hyper Poster

Post by Maxi4life »

What any bodyshop will tell you is that the colour should be blended into adjacent panels to ensure the eye won't pick up any slight difference in colour and they factor this into any decent repair job. Only problem it's going to add cost to the job but they won't guarantee the colour unless you let them do it.

I've got a similar dilemma with my two new life doors being metallic grey and the van is white. The cost of colour coding with all the usual bits and then these doors as well is approaching £1200
Mk2kompressor
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by Mk2kompressor »

Vw candy white is hard to match, depending on what paint your body shop is using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2.Slow
NornIron
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by NornIron »

If the paint isn't damaged at the crease, surely a PDR guy is the way to go? Many of them seem to charge £40 to £60 a panel...
Ich habe kein Geld!
Maxi4life
Hyper Poster

Post by Maxi4life »

Doubt they'll get a crease out with PDR
Celticrsmith
Hyper Poster

Post by Celticrsmith »

PDR? There's no crease or damage to the paint, just dunno how flat they'd manage to get it.
Maxi4life
Hyper Poster

Post by Maxi4life »

Well only the guy doing it could tell you that, they can do some amazing work with PDR
Celticrsmith
Hyper Poster

Post by Celticrsmith »

What's PDR? :roll:
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=PDR

Paintless Dent Removal
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Celticrsmith
Hyper Poster

Post by Celticrsmith »

Personal development review?! :lol:
Maxi4life
Hyper Poster

Post by Maxi4life »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bionicman
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Bionicman »

PDR guys can do amazing work removing dents out of vehicles even where there are normal panel creases or bends in the bodywork. So long as the paint is not cracked or damaged in anyway.
About two years ago my parents neighbour across the road reversed her car into the back quarter panel of my van where it also meets the curved part of the panel near the rear door. The dent was the size of a football believe me. I did not want it filling up with body filler so I got in contact with a local PDR guy called Martin here in East Yorkshire. It took him about 2 hours to pull it out and I must say you could never tell where the dint was. This guy is the number 2 PDR person in Europe or so he claims. He goes all over the world entering PDR competitions. The number one I think he said was a German. :lol: By the way my parents neighbour across the road paid for the damage. Cost of repair was £120.00 but well worth it.