Emission recall

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
kefconstruction
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Emission recall

Post by kefconstruction »

Recieved a letter from vw saying they want to do the emissions on the caddy, but im unsure what to do,
What do you all think?
Thanks

Sent from my HTC Desire 650 using Tapatalk

doperide
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Re: Emission recall

Post by doperide »

kefconstruction wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:07 am Recieved a letter from vw saying they want to do the emissions on the caddy, but im unsure what to do,
What do you all think?
Thanks

Well obviously give them a call and find out if its associated to the emissions scandel, im betting it is
"I secretly like my Caddy"
Maxi4life
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by Maxi4life »

Once you've had it done that's it, no going back. It's interesting that peoples EGR valves have been failing shortly after and going into limp mode.
It's obvious that the so called fix just puts more exhaust emissions back through the EGR valve and back into the engine to get the Nox figures down. People are reporting less performance and worse fuel economy.
Chrisnick
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.0 TSI (100bhp)

Post by Chrisnick »

Ive had the same letter unsure what to do
kefconstruction
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by kefconstruction »

I think im going to leave mine without getting it done as not hearing anything good about it, and if it aint broke why fix it,

LeeH
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by LeeH »

Watchdog reported the EGR was working much harder after the update I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
2011 2.0 GT Bluemotion Tech DSG in Candy White
2012 1.6 Highline Bluemotion Tech Caddy in Indium Grey
Kimtins
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Kimtins »

I was advised not to have it done when I called them up because of the remap, I had read plenty of stories where the egr failed not long after recall work had been done.

I decided against it rather than have the remap messed with after I was told it makes no real difference to emissions on a 1.6 engine.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Geraout
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Geraout »

VW confirmed to me that the recall can be done anytime in the future at no cost.

If / when you come to sell your van it may even be a selling point not having had the recall and all the well documented subsequent problems.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/ ... ndriveable
SnoWhite
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by SnoWhite »

Hmm

Before you decide what to do, PLEASE take time to read this link...

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/ ... ndriveable

I am sure the "official line" is these reports, are just coincidences. But any sane person would realise that you don't get something for nothing and those extra emissions have got to go somewhere. I rather doubt the EGR system fitted to your Caddy was designed with this recall in mind.

It's your call whether to have the work done. Personally if the car is currently running fine why mess with it? If you use VW to service the car then watch out just in case the emission recall work is added onto the VW service worksheet (which they must ask you to sign when the car goes in). Obviously if you don't want it done just strike it off the worksheet, alternatively there are loads of competent independents who will service a Caddy properly and usually loads cheaper than VW dealers.

If you have had your Caddy remapped then - that will be wiped and your car will be returned to whatever performance it left the factory with.
SnoWhite
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by SnoWhite »

Good to see that "geraout" spotted exactly the same article as I did.
Onedipmike88
Caddy Fan

Post by Onedipmike88 »

I had the update done before hearing all the stories and everything seemed fine. If anything seemed a little bit more pokey low rev range. I was travelling down to bug jam when heater plug light came on and power went did this numerous times after turning ignition on and off. Pulled into services vcds said fault on injector 1 intermittant reset fault and its not happend again. Could this be due to the update ?
Ted2
100BHP+

Post by Ted2 »

Mine had 4 injectors and a clamp down bolt fail all since the fix.
Seems a bit of a coincidence 😱
volkshome
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by volkshome »

don't do it, as already mentioned there have been lots of people having problems with the egr system after this, some have even had the DPF fail as well shortly after , leave well alone if you have no current problems with your car.The fix was rushed through and is only a software update to the egr system.
Logski
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Logski »

Just had mine done on an ex British Gas Caddy Maxi. It took off the speed limiter and certainly drives better. Just completed 3,000 miles round Europe with no problems.
ian866
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by ian866 »

I believe there is a little bit more to it than just an egr software update. I'm pretty sure there has been an injector sequencing modification also, which the 1.6's may not like, and on some there is an additional internal airflow piece added to alter / correct air speed, although I'm not sure if the Caddy gets that piece .

Undoubtedly it also probably comes down to the type of fuel you put in the motor, as to how the "fix" responds for you. VW will probably have benchmarked on a "premium" fuel to get the results needed to get them out of the poo.

Using a low grade diesel ( super market fuel ) may be the possible cause of a great deal of issues, as not all customers are reporting faults or issues after the "fix" has been applied.

The difference in using an ordinary or budget diesel compared to using a premium ( Shell , BP ) can be quite eye opening. Using one in conjunction with the VW mods may be the answer to sustaining the injector life, who knows ?