Replacing fuel filter?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Glen G
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Replacing fuel filter?

Post by Glen G »

Hey guys I'm going servicing my van at the weekend and I want to change the fuel filter now bit of a noob question I haven't changed it before can any of you just give me a quick how to?

After you replace it do you have to rev the van for a few min etc.. Cheers
Ant290
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Re: Replacing fuel filter?

Post by Ant290 »

when i do mine.. i drain the fuel into a jug and then pour it back in when i put the new one.

just remember to put the new one in slowly otherwise you piss fuel everywhere (if you have poured it back in)

also worth noting they come in a few different fitments, last time i did mine it took two returns to get the right one.

pretty easy job tho,
unscrew the lid,
pull it up,
drain old filter,
put new filter,
put new o-ring?,
pour fuel,
do up bolts.

I tend to run it for 5 mins after, but usually doesn't need any weight on the gas pedal.

disclaimer,, i'm not a mechanic
geo.stronach
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by geo.stronach »

Diesel I assume? Filter should be in left hand side under bonnet and inside the canister 1)remove the torx and use a flat head screwdriver to help open. 2)Once open lift out and pull the filter eliment out its a bit stiff normally. 3)Use a syringe to remove old fuel from inside the canister 4)refit new filter. 5) now pour clean fuel into the canister but not to the top just yet. Put the filter into canister to see how far the fuel will rise. Now add more fuel. (The reason for this is to minimise spilage) 6) reinstall torx but a few turns at a time as the last thing you want is threads to be stripped.7) now this is what I would do some people say you can some say you can't but I would switch on ignition 2-3 times to be sure it's primed then I would start the van it will turn over about 2-3 turns but will start now let the van run for about 5mins and then swith off. inspection to make sure no leeks and then make sure it starts again(it will) but always double check plenty of rags to catch the drips. Image

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Chris017
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by Chris017 »

Simple pall filter on left hand side of the engine bay in like a large tube thing with black hoses coming out of the top. Just un screw the star screws going around it and prize it off. There are locating notch on it when re assembling. U might have to wedge a flat screw driver in between the lip to remove the top part. Once off pull the filter out but have a black bag ready as will drop everywhere. Remove the old filter and place the new one inside and replace the large rubber o ring that sealed the top, you will see it once you remove the top part the o ring goes all the way around to make a seal. I would put some diesel on the new o ring before installing well I do anyway. New filter close it all up tight and make everything line up and screw back together.
After all done and hands nice and clean just turn the key on to the first turn just to prime the pump a couple of times like on for 5-10 seconds and off again about 2 or 3 times just for it to fill up and then start it pall Job done simple.
Some people top it up with diesel but usually people don't have diesel in there home garage just for this job.
I know it's a long read but it's really simple. Think iv covered most of it pall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
geo.stronach
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by geo.stronach »

Please correct me if iam wrong anyone. Mind this is the way with out vcds

Glen G
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Glen G »

Thanks very much lads appreciated :mrgreen:
Chris017
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Chris017 »

geo.stronach wrote:Please correct me if iam wrong anyone. Mind this is the way with out vcds

Ye no computers needed pall all mechanical

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mickymac77
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by mickymac77 »

Changed mine recently on a 1.6tdi, filled canister up with purge and fuel fully but still took ages to start - thought it wasn't going to start at all. The priming with the ignition on/off didn't work (cycled about 10 times).
These must be different as have a 1.9tdi touran and can prime with ignition?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Chris017
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Chris017 »

Yes mate 1.9 mine is and was no problem at all doing it. No experience with the 1.6 but would have thought it would have been the same process as I do this on all sorts of cars with the same procedure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk