Eibach lowering kit reliability

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Sandyson
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Eibach lowering kit reliability

Post by Sandyson »

Hi guys,

It's my birthday today so I think it might be time to treat myself to a lowering kit for the van (I've been looking for an excuse for months).

Until very recently I've been set on using the Eibach kit being vw approved. I'm not after slamming it right to the deck. It is a working van but is very rarely half loaded I'm either stacked out or empty. I religiously read the forum to the annoyance of my other half and generally the Eibach seems to come out well for moderate drop. But my concern is that it might knacker the front or rear shocks. Have many of you suffered shock failure or leakage from the kit ?

I always like to buy the best I can afford if I need the extra features. If I didn't get the Eibach kit the best I could afford would be st kit like bellow. I'd like to be able to go the whole hog for bilsteins and just know it's been done properly but the budget just won't stretch.

http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/p ... g-kit.html

Sorry for going over this again I know it's been done to death on here. I would just like to know if people have had trouble with the Eibach kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beaker2135
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Eibach lowering kit reliability

Post by Beaker2135 »

I had the 45mm Eibach kit fitted on my van. I've done about 25k since and not a problem (if you discount the knock because the dealer didn't tighten it up properly) I'm still running standard shocks at the rear as well but I am in the highest setting at the back. This makes it look the same as the front when empty and allows me to carry a full load without bottoming out. I only took 1 section off the bump stop again it's ok for me. The only issue I had was the mud flaps scrapping massively so I've taken them off and I'm happy now
I see lots of people saying there vans is like a pogo stick but I'm happy with mine as a daily drive and I wouldn't want it ridining too hard. That said I did change the rear ARB for the maxi one to reduce the roll, hard to say if it did to be honest but it can't have done any harm
I don't think it would hurt to fit a pair of custom gaz shocks I just haven't got round to it yet
For what it's worth I'm running 17" sportlines
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is
Sandyson
100BHP+

Post by Sandyson »

Thank you for taking the time to write a reply. It sounds like your set up and needs a fairly similar to mine. I have 17" vw canyon wheels on and the ride isn't bad it isn't great, it's a van and drives accordingly !

Beaker2135
Hyper Poster

Post by Beaker2135 »

No worries. Like you I'd have gone for Blistens all round if I could as l wanted to avoid cheap coilovers
I've been happy with Eibach kit once it was fitted properly and tracked, VW didn't do that either!
Sandyson
100BHP+

Post by Sandyson »

Always been in two minds about coilovers... they allow great flexibility in ride height and designed to ride at that height. But now I almost feel like that's not the case anymore. Coil overs have become "accessible" not a bad thing, but there not necessarily made to the same standards. Or for the purpose of a better or more responsible ride.

Springs in this case are the what vw approve but used to be a poor mans way of lowering vehicles.

Hey ho what do I know ! Do you mind me asking what you paid for the kit ?

Beaker2135
Hyper Poster

Post by Beaker2135 »

I paid VW menu price I think it's was £620 fitted at the time
GYCADDY
Caddy Fan

Post by GYCADDY »

Hi,
I had the same kit fitted from a VW dealer for £620, its not slammed but it makes a nice noticeable difference and comes with 2 years warranty parts and labour for a little bit of piece of mind
LeeH
200BHP+

Post by LeeH »

You from Grimsby?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
2011 2.0 GT Bluemotion Tech DSG in Candy White
2012 1.6 Highline Bluemotion Tech Caddy in Indium Grey
GYCADDY
Caddy Fan

Post by GYCADDY »

yes mate, you've sussed out my username
LeeH
200BHP+

Post by LeeH »

I'm tempted by this as mine is too soft but I don't want it too stiff either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
2011 2.0 GT Bluemotion Tech DSG in Candy White
2012 1.6 Highline Bluemotion Tech Caddy in Indium Grey