Caddy r32 gti bumpers

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
hef355
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Caddy r32 gti bumpers

Post by hef355 »

Done a few mk7 bumpers and happy to help anyone wanting to have a go. It’s a lot of work to be honest and by the time you’ve bought the gti bumper, grills and all the time/skills to make it perfect its not expensive to buy one already made to be honest. I haven’t personally seen any others other than the ones i’ve made but the time taken to get a perfect finish is a lot of man hours.

However, these are a few pics of some ive made showing cuts and datum. I make a dry screw on fit first with bumper on the van. Find centre of both bumpers and use a guide like i show below of 157mm. Thats worked well always for me and gives adequate over lap for bonding and plenty of inner bumper room to fix the lower centre honeycomb grill etcImage

Then once you have your 157mm and centre screw in place, the sides of the gti bumper will fit snug to the end of the caddy bumper if cut like this, leaving the lower part of the new gti bumper that little lug in the pic to match up and line up flush with the end of the caddy bumper and screw both sides. Thats your basic 3 stage dimension all done ON THE VAN.Image

Then whilst still fixed to the van, screw some more screws in making a flush fit. Then remove bumper and bond with good quality PU adhesive making sure you screw into the original holes you made whilst the dry fit was being made. I use 1 complete tube per bumper. I personally prefer this method rather than plastic weld as it is more forgiving and flexible. I then leave the adhesive to cure and set for at least a minimum 24 hours. Then is a matter of removing all screws and feathering the edges to take a thin layer of (Update) UPOL SMC carbon black filler with fibres and sand down. (Update)SMC can also be used on the number plate recess and build it up to accommodate the final filler (Update - I like UPOL dolphin). I then use a good quality high build primer and then leave that settle for as long as you can and then look for any sinkages or furring you need to address before your base and laquer.

Hope this helps but the final filler work and shaping takes some patience, feel, and a good eye! Here are some pics that may help ...ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by hef355 on Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Barbel330
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Caddy r32 gti bumpers

Post by Barbel330 »

Very good Hef 🙌
Instagram: @y_5cuf
brooneye
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by brooneye »

That’s a cracking write up for anyone wishing/trying to do this

hef355
Hyper Poster

Post by hef355 »

Thanks guys just hope it provides a little help for others who want to have a go ... but its a lot of work to get right as you well know

hef355
Hyper Poster

Caddy r32 gti bumpers

Post by hef355 »

Just a note guys on the 4th photo showing the cutting line. That was the first bumper I did, i have cut a lot less than that on all other bumpers providing more of a lap as seen more clearly in the 3rd photo. Please feel free to dm me if i can offer any assistance or advice any time

Sean1066
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Sean1066 »

I looking at making this bumper or trying to find someone that can do it for me.
You should make a how to on your bumper hef.
I think a lot of people would have a look at doing one
Caddy maxi 3.2 VR6 EX BG

My build thread
https://www.caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic ... 13&t=36851
hef355
Hyper Poster

Post by hef355 »

Thank you mate but theres not much more to it than ive wrote here you know. Even if you haven’t got the skills to shape it with filler you could easily fabricate it following my instructions and then take it to a bodyshop for filler and painting. If yiu need any advice just message me your number and i’ll help all I can, made a few now so happy to help

Cultus
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Cultus »

That's a fricken sweet custom bumper mod , nice work 👍
Looks dam fine!
hef355
Hyper Poster

Post by hef355 »

Thank you mate

Splitty66
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Splitty66 »

Really nice job mate ..... I've dealt with a few bumpers but not to this level and can really appreciate the work involved
Seanick
100BHP+

Post by Seanick »

Hi m8,..... this is absolutely ace thank you as I’m hoping to start one soon......I’m just a little confused by the 3rd pic?.... it seems to show the gti bumper coming further around than the caddy one?.... or is that pre cutting the gti one?..... do you have any other pics of the bumpers that you have cut less away from too....i was also thinking the less cut away the greater strength?.....what brand pv glue did you use?..... any other tips would be great m8👌🏽👌🏽... I tried to DM you but can’t for some reason.

Regards

Sean
hef355
Hyper Poster

Post by hef355 »

Hi mate not sure what you mean in the 3rd pic but it may be directed to someone else on this thread. You probs cant DM as maybe you need to get your posts up to the required umber for full access. Happy to help any time

Seanick
100BHP+

Post by Seanick »

Hi m8,

No Hef I was hoping glean some more knowledge from you👌🏽🙌🏽

Sorry my bad.... I should have said the 3rd pic from the top page 2 of this thread.

Thanks pal
hef355
Hyper Poster

Post by hef355 »

Hi mate show me which pic you’re not sure of?

Seanick
100BHP+

Post by Seanick »

Lol...ive tried pal...i think its because i dont have full access yet...im on the case now to see if i can obtain more permissions 👍