New member & help needed please

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
I_am_Diesel
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

New member & help needed please

Post by I_am_Diesel »

Hi guys,

Thank you for allowing me to join your forum. I nearly have 2 Caddy vans at the moment, a 06 1.9 Tdi and I am soon to be the proud owner of a 14 plate 1.6 Tdi CR.

I'm a regular VW licker and in addition to my love of Caddy vannage, I also have a Mk2 Golf GTi. I have owned other types of van before but they cannot hold a candle to a sorted Caddy.

Now the sad tale regarding my 2006 1.9 Tdi PD and I apologise for being a harbinger of doom on my first post.

I asked a 'mate' to recharge my aircon for me, which he did. It wasn't blowing cold so he took it upon himself to investigate the fault which involved removing several fuses (possibly with the ignition still on).

On the way home that night, the van hesitated a couple of times and eventually broke down. The RAC bloke gave her a whiff of easy start and followed me back to work where she broke down again after 5 miles. Another blast of canned magic had her running again and had me safely back at work. A scan with VCDS did not reveal any fault codes.

I suspected a fuel starvation issue, it seemed like classic priming pump problems so I ordered a VDO replacement off the internet. After a very frustrating 2 week wait, the pump arrived from Germany and I fitted it, which is a pain because the tank has to be removed.
She started, so I took her for a cautious drive around the site where I work (a disused airfield) and after a couple of miles another breakdown. I was recovered back to the workshop, I removed the top of the fuel filter where I discovered it was dry and was holding a slight vacuum. The priming pump was running for a couple of seconds when I turned the key but fuel didn't seem to be getting into the fuel filter housing.

Thinking that this might be caused by the pressure valve at the top of the housing, I ordered a second hand one from a popular internet auction site. This was again money wasted as the same symptoms persisted. 2 miles around the airfield saw me waiting for recovery.

Thinking back to the fuse pulling issue, I wondered whether the ecu had been spiked? I removed it and sent it away to be tested/repaired and was informed that there weren't any faults with it which frustrated the heck out of me because I was convinced that the ecu was the issue.

I am at the end of my tether, a month had elapsed, over £200 spent and I have not made a shred of progress. I'm sure some of you guys are pretty clued up on these engines and I would very much appreciate any advice and guidance that you can please give me.

I have lost confidence in her now, thus I have bought a newer shiny Caddy in a fetching shade of black. She let me down and having no van is like having a limb removed and her letting me down in such a fashion is akin to my wife cheating on me.

As soon as I can get her sorted I will have to sell her but I will need the cash towards my loan for the new one.

I look forward to interacting with you guys.
SnoWhite
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Re: New member & help needed please

Post by SnoWhite »

Welcome to the forum.

Hopefully the 2014 will be fine out the box.

As for the 2006 the fuse box location is not easy to see/access and if you are in a hurry it is way too easy to end up putting fuses back in the wrong location.

My guess is your friend has not put the fuses back where they came from, and as a result something important is not getting power.

There is at last a Haynes manual for the TDI models which has some information on what fuses cover what and their rating.

In your shoes I would start with the basics - Disconnect the battery and then one by one remove test and reinstate fuses making sure they are the correct rating and in the correct place.
On the Caddy there are usually loads of empty fuse locations - if you remove a fuse and look closely at where it plugs in, you should see connector terminals at BOTH ends. Many of the unused locations have nothing or just a connector at one end - ignore them - as they should not have a fuse installed.

If however you spot an empty fuse location with connector terminals at both ends - check with the manual to see what a fuse at that location should supply. Hopefully checking the fuses (including the under-bonnet ones) will reveal what is wrong and get the 2006 running fine again.
I_am_Diesel
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by I_am_Diesel »

Hi SnoWhite,

Many thanks for the reply. I managed to download a reliable fuse box diagram so yesterday I went through the fuse box under the bonnet and the one under the steering column. The only rogue was the fuse for the radio hadn't been replaced correctly which I why I couldn't listen to Steve Wright.
I did a bit more research and it seems that the feed to the priming pump isn't working when the engine is running. I am going to recheck the relay under the steering column and one of the relays under the bonnet.

Fingers crossed I'll get there.
I_am_Diesel
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by I_am_Diesel »

Well, the saga continues.

Today I removed and tested every relay, all good.

Then I connected the old priming pump directly to the HP pump (using an inline filter), hooked it up to a battery and the van started and ran fine.

I then connected in the new pump while the van was running on the old pump, ran a hose into a container and it pumped fuel, but not very quickly in comparison to the rate the old pump was shifting fuel.

I then removed the new pump from the tank, tested it alongside the old pump and they both work fine and pump at the same rate.

I'm confused.