Manual aircon 'stuck on'??

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Mikado
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

Manual aircon 'stuck on'??

Post by Mikado »

I've a '66' Kombi and since owning it the heater sometimes seems to be a bit useless. More recently, I've noticed that the air coming out of the vents is colder than outside even when the aircon is switched off - I can get condensation on the outside of the windscreen above the vents.

Now I know that there's a few combinations of heater controls which will automatically switch the aircon on. Personally I dislike this - if the system's supposed to be manual, could it please be completely manual?? Anyway, a bit of experimenting reveals that if the fan is on & the air is directed to the windscreen, then the aircon is on irrespective of the light on the A/C button.

Today I took it to the dealer, and tech armed with a thermometer confirmed my findings & said he'd look into it. Subsequently I had a call saying they've checked other vehicles which all exhibit the same behaviour. Therefore there's no fault & nothing wrong with my van.

Now whilst I don't like the features that switch the a/c on automatically, I'll deal with it. The problem, is that if the aircon is on for whatever reason, then the light should be on. And if I don't want it on, I should be able to turn it off.

I subsequently rang VW 'Customer Care' who made note of my issue but basically said nothing would be done unless lots of other people report it. Well given the dealer who've seen the 'bug' report it that's never going to happen.

So if you've got a Caddy with manual aircon & wondered why it's so cold when you're trying to demist the windscreen, well now you know. Perhaps you could report it to customer care too? Don't blame you if you don't. That's 20 minutes of my life I'll never get back...
Geraout
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Re: Manual aircon 'stuck on'??

Post by Geraout »

Is it cold even with the heat dial on full to demist the screen?

Surely that must be a fault..
Mikado
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

Post by Mikado »

Geraout wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:48 pm Is it cold even with the heat dial on full to demist the screen?
When the heat dial's at about half way it seems to cancel the aircon, so when it's full on there is heat. The aircon will be de-humidifying the air, so aircon+full heat isn't bad way to demist, but that's not really the point.
Geraout wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:48 pm Surely that must be a fault..
You'd have thought so. But everyone I spoke to at VW today seemed to just believe that if it's the same on another vehicle then that's how it's supposed to be...
NZDubNurd
Hyper Poster

Post by NZDubNurd »

The AC turns on with demist, because it works better. Lots of cars do it.

Of course, sometimes you want airflow, without it blowing on you, and don't require AC.... right?

There probably IS a way to stop it - maybe getting the coding changed either at a dealer (who aren't always clever enough to know these things), or via VCDS etc.

If it's entirely mechanical, then it may be wired that way.

Does it does turn on the AC light when it does it? The crappy hyundais we have at work at least turn on the AC light, so you know it's on, and can turn it off if required.