Double Din Headunit Recommendation?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
jlaamweise
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Double Din Headunit Recommendation?

Post by jlaamweise »

As titled, looking for a double din headunit for the caddy.

Not worries about a DVD Player or CD, but I'd like to be able to watch media off a USB or iPod.

Ideally sub £200.

Dont fancy a Chinese unbranded cheapo thing either.

Cheers!
mark1a
Hyper Poster

Re: Double Din Headunit Recommendation?

Post by mark1a »

I think you may struggle to stay in that budget and not have a Chinese unbranded DD media player.

I'm looking at one myself, and either thinking of Pumpkin android VAG specific model, or for more than double the price Alpine iLX-702d and then just use Apple CarPlay for everything. Favouring the android one as it has more features and is canbus friendly for parking sensors, etc.
2017 Blackberry Maxi Life 190TDI 6MT OEM+
Santiago 18” | OE Xenons | Limo tints | Wind deflectors
Remap 190bhp | H&R / Darkside lowering | TRC front & rear splitter | RKD side skirts
Android HU | Focal 2.1+2 audio | Dynamat | 4G WiFi | Wireless phone charge
Build thread here http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=34095
LeeH
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by LeeH »

I sold my old OEM/dealer Kenwood unit from this van for 250 with outdated maps. And it’s no way near as good as the Pumpkin.

Just to put the 200 budget into prospective.

Also the Android units don’t support iPod connectivity generally.

Maybe the winCE units do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
2011 2.0 GT Bluemotion Tech DSG in Candy White
2012 1.6 Highline Bluemotion Tech Caddy in Indium Grey
Kreutz
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 CNG (107bhp)

Post by Kreutz »

What type connector does the Caddy have, thinking about ordering one from China.
jlaamweise
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by jlaamweise »

Quadlock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SnoWhite
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by SnoWhite »

Hmm

With that budget you probably need to consider a Chinese double din unit. I went with an Eonon 5153 which for little money come with a lot of functionality and all the connecting leads allowing a quick plug and play install. Brand new they are still above your budget as you will probably be stung for import duty for stuff coming from China or HK. However used ones do come up occasionally at very affordable prices on eBay especially USA.

I have a 5153 which neatly integrates with VCDS, so it automatically dims the display when the lights are turned on and does pretty much all I want and won't invite someone to put a brick through the window to nick it.

It has a nice 8 inch HD colour screen with integrated GPS and DVD player, a remote, Bluetooth and loads of connectivity, and options to add things like DAB, DTV and reversing camera feeds. It has been pretty much trouble free for several years. However it once took issue with a corrupted music file on an SD card and completely locked up requiring a frantic search for the manual to carry out a hard reset before it would fire up again. Since the offending MP3 was deleted, it works fine. The Android versions even allow Bluetooth mirroring of your phone so if you don't like the integral Kudos European GPS (Chinese) you could use navigation input from a smart phone instead.
PRMG
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by PRMG »

People seem very impressed with the Pumpkin ones across all forums (a lot of people on the MX5 club love them)
SnoWhite
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by SnoWhite »

Yes Pumpkin is just one of several Chinese clones like Eonon which ignoring the badge glued at the bottom are very similar if not identical inside..

Spend some time online on ebay and the likes and you should quickly identify the various Chinese brands. One thing to note is they are a really accurate match to OEM colours and will blend in to the Caddy fascia very well.

Compare these links

https://www.eonon.com/Android-Car-GPS/V ... 5153F.html

http://www.autopumpkin.co.uk/double-din ... -32gb.html