Caddy engine swap

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Ripper182
Caddy2k Groupie

Caddy engine swap

Post by Ripper182 »

Hi guys& girls,

I’m planning on doing an engine swap in my caddy. I have just bought a shiny MK7 Golf R engine, with intercooler, airbox, clocks and one of the engine mounts. Engine has ancillaries including pumps, turbo and starter motor.
I have located a car with a matching ecu, keys wiring looms and ignition barrel.
Can I have have advice on what else I will need for the conversion? I’m presuming sensors also will be good? And the BDM?

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance.
John
lord-dudester
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: Caddy engine swap

Post by lord-dudester »

Sounds like you’re nearly all good to go. Are
You already on a petrol fuel system?

doc will be along soon. He’s a wealth of knowledge and has been helping me Plan mine. I’m gonna do the same transplant early next year into my 2017 tdi. Problem my end is an additional load of cash on the fuel tank

What year caddy have you got? All similar ages
To get Things talking helps

You doing most of the work yourself?
Ripper182
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Ripper182 »

Hello mate,

Thanks very much for the reply to my post. I’m in two minds to be honest of what van to put it in. I currently have a 2016 Caddy Highline 150ps Diesle running 180bhp with Lotus Evora seats, lowered on Bilsteins with a custom hand made exhaust. It has the makings of an awesome van as it has everything in it already. But I don’t really wanna start chopping a very expensive van about.

Sounds like your going to chop yours about and it’s newer than mine! Lol.
Ripper182
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Ripper182 »

My mate Eldin at EMP is going to do the majority of the work.
Ripper182
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Ripper182 »

I would put up a picture but I can’t work out how to do it. Lol.
Ripper182
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Ripper182 »

Any one else with any knowledge would be great??

Give me a few pointers please guys.
lord-dudester
Twin Turbo poster

Post by lord-dudester »

I’m gonna go for it next year. Why not hey? The wife will never know and if I don’t spend the money she will !!

Mines a 2017. So it does seem crazy but being a black edition it’s a 102 which is painful ! I’m gonna map it next week at jabbasport (near me) for a few months to to take the edge off the lack of poke with it :D

Pictures: I use image shack. Simple
To use

Pointers wise I’m not the best to advise but from the research I’ve done I’m sourcing the same bits as you mentioned with a new fuel system and tank. Then it’s just a case of get it all in and get the electrics done. Sounds simple. But to me it’s a nightmare. I gotta get the pros to do it as I could do the machanica part but would struggle with finding the time to do it

Where did you get ya golf
Bits from? Salvage yard? You done well to get all that in one go. Was it expensive? I’m thinking the whole project will easily gobble up near 10k ish
Ripper182
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Ripper182 »

Hello mate, I’ve been doing a lot of research into this and there’s currently (as far as I’m aware only two people in the country who have put the Golf R MK7 engine in a Caddy. Reason being is it’s not straight forward at all. (So I’ve been told by someone who has already done it)
The engine won’t just drop in and either needs to have the chassis messed about with Re welding etc or a new subframe made up to hold the lump.
The guys who did it already made the subframe fit whilst making some adjustments. Also the steering rack from your van won’t work and the subframe also needs adjusting to allow it to fit. The guys who’s done the conversion has the plans to make the subframe but because of how much time and money it has taken him he charges 2k plus for making up a subframe.
I have ditched the idea of fitting the MK7 engine into mine to be honest as he said the wiring was immense too. All sounds to deep for my pockets.
He has his own Caddy R 4x4 and it’s currently the quickest in the UK!
I don’t mean to put you off but be prepared for a big bill to do it and lots of man hours.
So on another note my engine is for sale. Haha.
My next plan is to do a Golf GTi Mk5 conversion as it’s much simpler and vertically bolts straight in. But I’ll use the anniversary addition as it has the bigger K04 turbo instead of the K03.

Hope that helps mate.
John
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Wow, 2k for a modified subframe!!!
I'm sure you can get any necessary modifications carried out for a lot less than that.
I'd question why you'd even change the subframe, it'd be much easier to just use the original PQ35 subframe and if necessary adapt it to suit. The only interconnection between the subframe and engine is the "dog bone" bottom mount.

As for wiring, it's just as involved to adapt the wiring for a mk5 MED9 or a mk6/7 MED17.

If that engine CJX is cheap, I'll take it as I do like a challenge and hate negativity. :D

FWIW, a guy I know dropped a RS3/TT-RS CEP engine into a caddy, the same chassis (S3/TTS) come with a CJX engine in. I can't see it being an issue but stand to be corrected.

Out of interest, who's is the second mk7 R converted caddy you found? What have they said?
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
lord-dudester
Twin Turbo poster

Post by lord-dudester »

Doc you’re only allowed that engine if you intend on putting into mine Hahahaha

Ripper. Mate. Keep ya feelers out there and don’t just take one persons word for it. I’ve spoken to loads of people and it’s amazing the variations of opinions you hear
Ripper182
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Ripper182 »

Hi Guys, I haven’t spoken to the other person who has done this yet, I’m trying to get his details. I see you have a lot of knowledge Doc but understand your very busy. Any advice would be great tho. Like I said I did have Eldin in mind for the installation of the engine. When would you be free to do the wiring if I did go for the Mk7 lump? Maybe you could do it late next year? I want to look into all my options and just get some advice off as many people as possible.
I have a little knowledge, but I do know quite a few people in the car scene but like you say they all have there own opinions.

Thanks in advance.
Oh and the lump I have has 1200 miles on it, I have the
Turbo
Clutch
Starter motor
Alternator
Airbox
Intercooler
Abs pump
One engine mount
Clocks
£1500 all in.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Once you have built up your post count and got access to the engine & transmission section of the forum, we'll discuss it some more.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Caddyluv
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Caddyluv »

Ripper182 wrote:Hello mate,

Thanks very much for the reply to my post. I’m in two minds to be honest of what van to put it in. I currently have a 2016 Caddy Highline 150ps Diesle running 180bhp with Lotus Evora seats, lowered on Bilsteins with a custom hand made exhaust. It has the makings of an awesome van as it has everything in it already. But I don’t really wanna start chopping a very expensive van about.

Sounds like your going to chop yours about and it’s newer than mine! Lol.

Dude are you not better putting better intercoolers and turbos maybe a supercharger surely cheaper and less work.

Maybe!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
K81
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by K81 »

How much in labour would a swap like this cost?
Fran9r
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Fran9r »

Did you guys get anywhere with the TSI wiring issue? I'm really tempted to do the same, only into a 2006 SDI. Wiring is the major concern though.