Drivers Door Lock

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
marv01
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Drivers Door Lock

Post by marv01 »

The key lock in my drivers door doesn’t match the van key that fits the ignition and the rear door lock. The key that fits the lock is missing so need to try and sort something for it. Is it possible to get a key made if you are missing the original? Or would I have to get a replacement lock
Bluebeard
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Drivers Door Lock

Post by Bluebeard »

normally you'd have to get a replacement lock with key. some manufactures have a code on the keys/locks so that if something breaks a replacement can be made/ordered. not sure if vw do this mind, but if they do I'm sure someone on here knows
marv01
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by marv01 »

Thanks, thought it may have to be but worth trying to see if could do anything first. I couldn’t see an obvious sign of a code
SnoWhite
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by SnoWhite »

Depends on what type of key the vehicle should have - is it a coded remote type?

I am guessing that at some stage the drivers door lock was replaced possibly after someone attempted to force entry.

Normally a main VW dealer repair would simply supply and fit a lock and key matched to the rest of the car. I am guessing that on cost grounds someone chose the cheaper option of fitting a lock and matched key obtained from a breakers yard. However now the matched key is missing, you are faced with basically the same options - buy and fit another breakers yard lock with random key (which almost certainly won't match your other locks) or take a wheelbarrow of cash to VW and get them to supply and fit a matched replacement.

For more recent Caddy models (facelift+) VW can definitely identify the lock & key code from the VIN and then make and code replacement locks/keys accordingly but you will need to show them the V5 and ID to demonstrate it is your vehicle.

As for earlier models without coded keys if you can get hold of a blank lock I am guessing a decent locksmith (Timpsons) might be able to set up the tumblers to match the key profile used on the other locks.
marv01
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by marv01 »

Yes is has the remote key (though that is a separate problem need to sort as it didn’t have a battery in it and after putting in isn’t working the locking)

Yes I assume so, the rear doors have separate deadlocks so would not be affected but easy option been done on drivers door.

It’s an 07 model so before facelift but will query with vw as whether can do anything as don’t want to sort remote key and end up being stuck getting into it as had couple of battery issues though replaced battery now.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

It's possible one or other of either the door lock or ignition barrell have been changed.
The ignition is most likely, it gets the most use and as such is prone to wear.
A good locksmiths will be able to pick decide your locks that you don't have keys for, you can then weigh up whether a new door lock or ignition is the best option. The locksmiths can cut a key to suit and most will even supply a recoded lock or ignition barrell matched to the new key.
If your driver's door and rear door match, I'd replace the ignition barrell.
VW will only be able to provide you with the original lock and key so you'd need to first work out which is original.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
marv01
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by marv01 »

Ok will look into a locksmith to help then. It’s the ignition and rear door lock that match and the drivers door that doesn’t so don’t have a way to operate the drivers door lock at sec