Glove box lid ?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Prostreetpop
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Glove box lid ?

Post by Prostreetpop » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:01 pm

Hi.
New to caddy’s . I’d like to know what is the mod you can do to get a lid on the glove box.
Do you use one for another VW that fits or is it a custom part as have seen the odd one fitted.
Thanks.

Mark.

Beaker2135
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Glove box lid ?

Post by Beaker2135 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:49 pm

Limited choices really either swap the dash out for a Touran one or fit the Van-x lid
https://van-x.co.uk/vw-caddy-glove-box-cover-lid.html
Showing out of stock though
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is

Barbel330
Hyper Poster

Post by Barbel330 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:49 pm

The Van-X glovebox lid is (unfortunately) probably your best option. Very easy to fit in about 2 seconds.

Be aware though, the latch often breaks and the company are very reluctant to admit that there's a problem with them and replace the latch. Mine has broken twice after VERY light use and it was hard work getting them to send me another one. They accused me of being too heavy handed with it :? And also told me that they hadn't had any other latches break, which is a lie!!! After I explained to them that I have zero track record of ever breaking any other glovebox latches on any car I've ever been in in my entire life, they reluctantly sent me a second replacement latch.

There's a thread on here somewhere where a number of other members have had theirs break in exactly the same place as my two, so there is clearly an issue. If you get one, be very gentle with the latch!
Instagram: @y_5cuf

Bionicman
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Bionicman » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:48 pm

Why VW could not put a glove box lid on right hand drive Caddys is beyond me. All left hand drive Caddys from 2011 onwards can have them. Surely it would not have been to hard for them to alter the glove box lid plastic moulding machine for right hand drive Caddys?
Anyway I just kept mine original rather then add non oem VW parts as a compromise.

Barbel330
Hyper Poster

Post by Barbel330 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:50 pm

The Van-X one looks OEM, it's just a shame it's let down by a tiny piece of weak plastic on the latch and a company not willing to admit an issue.

BIGWIG74
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by BIGWIG74 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:31 am

my vanx one broke the catch after 6 months (very gentle!) to be told only 6 months warranty £15 for a new catch :oops: its a shame cause they nearly OEM quality apart from the catch :mrgreen:
06 raven blue c20 tdi

LeeH
200BHP+

Post by LeeH » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:42 am

BIGWIG74 wrote:my vanx one broke the catch after 6 months (very gentle!) to be told only 6 months warranty £15 for a new catch :oops: its a shame cause they nearly OEM quality apart from the catch :mrgreen:
Small claims court is free.

They are obviously not fit for purpose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
2011 2.0 GT Bluemotion Tech DSG in Candy White
2012 1.6 Highline Bluemotion Tech Caddy in Indium Grey

brownmaximan
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by brownmaximan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:05 am

Has anyone got a vanx lid that’s not broken??, I’m on my second one and that’s hanging on by a thread!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mango
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by mango » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:07 pm

Bionicman wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:48 pm
Why VW could not put a glove box lid on right hand drive Caddys is beyond me. All left hand drive Caddys from 2011 onwards can have them. Surely it would not have been to hard for them to alter the glove box lid plastic moulding machine for right hand drive Caddys?
Anyway I just kept mine original rather then add non oem VW parts as a compromise.
same as me mate, im a taxi driver & really need that space for stuff, its useless now, cant put anything in it at all, gonna phone up that van-x company & see if i can get one , no idea if i will get a colour match though will a complete new glove box out of another vw model fit then ? i really need this space :cry:

brownmaximan
Caddy Fan

Post by brownmaximan » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:23 am

brownmaximan wrote:I’m on my second one and that’s hanging on by a thread!.

And that thread just broke☹️

anoneamus
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by anoneamus » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:41 pm

Mine broke after very gentle use (it may even have broken going over a bump for all I know). So I drilled out the center of the latch and put a piece of metal through to take the place of the flimsy plastic tabs (which are not strong enough to handle the tension of the spring, however you want to spin it Van-X!). 2 years later and no issues (except for the *@#*& latch being too badly designed to hold the door shut over big bumps) . If anyone's interested I'll post a pic of what I did (and what Van-X should do to modify this so it doesn't break).

anoneamus
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by anoneamus » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:47 pm

mango wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:07 pm
same as me mate, im a taxi driver & really need that space for stuff, its useless now, cant put anything in it at all, gonna phone up that van-x company & see if i can get one , no idea if i will get a colour match though will a complete new glove box out of another vw model fit then ? i really need this space :cry:
Your choices are replacing the entire dash with a Touran one, or using the Van-X lid. AFAIK there are no other options. Here's a pic of the Van-X glove box lid. Fits well, very close (but not exact) match on colour and texture.

Padster
Caddy Fan

Post by Padster » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:33 pm

I’d like to see the photos of the modification as I’m on handle no 2 and can’t see that lasting for long 🙁

syrobs
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by syrobs » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:46 pm

Padster wrote:I’d like to see the photos of the modification as I’m on handle no 2 and can’t see that lasting for long Image
Same! Mine broke yesterday, I hardly use it for it too brake from wear! and god knows where the spring has gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barbel330
Hyper Poster

Post by Barbel330 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:13 pm

Get onto van-X and complain. The more of us who give them a hard time the more chance they might do something about it. If we just keep buying replacements they'll make a fortune from having a sub standard item.