Glove box lid ?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
brownmaximan
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Re: Glove box lid ?

Post by brownmaximan » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:57 pm

Barbel330 wrote:Get onto van-X and complain. The more of us who give them a hard time the more chance they might do something about it. If we just keep buying replacements they'll make a fortune from having a sub standard item.[/quote

I Got this reply from themImage

“Thank you for your email.

We just cannot understand, we have sold over 500 of these and only a very few have broken handles and we cannot understand how handles last over 3 years and yours has broken again, the materials and moulds are the same.

There is not an improved part because there is not a problem with the product.

Kind Regards,
Van-X”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Padster
Caddy Fan

Post by Padster » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:59 am

That’s a joke we need to find out how many people on this foam have bought one of these glove lids see how many have new catches and send them back an email with that email they sent you. That’s like vw saying there’s not a problem with there injectors on the 1.6 tdi engine. O but they probably are saying say this 😂

anoneamus
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by anoneamus » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:13 am

syrobs wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:46 pm
Same! Mine broke yesterday, I hardly use it for it too brake from wear! and god knows where the spring has gone
It's not super easy, but doable. I used a Dremel to drill out a hole in the place where the flimsy plastic tabs were. I then cut a "hammer-in screw" to size and tapered off the "head" side and pushed it through. It's hard to drill the hole in exactly the right place and I did it a little too close to the handle, so the plastic is a bit bent. I may expand the hole a bit to fix that as it seems to cause the glovebox to pop open over big bumps.

anoneamus
Hyper Poster

Post by anoneamus » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:18 am

The problem with this latch is that the spring has too much tension for the plastic tab. Also, the travel on the latch is less than expected, and the plastic is not very strong, so if you lift the handle too much the plastic breaks easily. I think they should modify their mold and implement a design like mine...

Padster
Caddy Fan

Post by Padster » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:58 am

Good work I’ll give that a go with my first handle as I keeped it to see if there was any way of making it better. This is were a 3D printer would come in handy ( and the know how to use it ) 😀

Barbel330
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Barbel330 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:09 am

This was my correspondence with them the second time mine broke.

Dear Mr Court,

Thank you for your reply.

We replaced the part which we believed was faulty, the replacement was checked before sending and was working perfectly.

On this part there is a spring and 2 arms, the only way it could have been broken is by being pulled with too much force. There is no fault with it, it appears that it has not been used gently.

To be very frank with you we have only replaced a handful of these handles, if we send another replacement you may break it again.
Instagram: @y_5cuf

Barbel330
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Barbel330 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:11 am

And my reply.....

Hi

You are correct, the replacement part absolutely was working perfectly when I got it and it continued to work perfectly until yesterday evening when while driving my vehicle i noticed it rattling. It wasn't rattling on my journey to work yesterday morning, it never got opened at all during the day but on my way home it had failed. On checking the latch, it became obvious that the same part had broken as last time, it's loose and no longer holding the door shut properly.

I'm far from a heavy handed person and believe it or not I do know how to operate a glovebox with the correct amount of force to open it without damage. I'd go so far as confidently saying that I've never broken a glovebox latch on any car I've ever owned in my entire life which would lead me to believe that this latch isn't very robust as to have 2 break within 8 months of owning it would suggest that it's the fault of the part, not user error as you're insinuating.

I'm not asking for my money back on the product, I really like it, infact I've recommended the glovebox to fellow caddy owners on the caddy2k forum. I just need a replacement latch so it functions as it was designed to. If you won't replace the part what should I do with the 8 month old Van-X glovebox which now doesn't close?

Regards
Instagram: @y_5cuf

Padster
Caddy Fan

Post by Padster » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:17 am

They really need to sort this out and make something that works for the job in hand.
I know what they’re thinking it’s not worth there time or money now as the new caddy gets one or you can get one for it.

anoneamus
Hyper Poster

Post by anoneamus » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:23 am

I don't think there's much value in replacing this part until they come up with a new design. It's an inherent design flaw, that's not going away. Whether they are lying about the number of latches they've had to replace, or noone bothers to report it (I didn't), is hard to say. Mine did not last very long (maybe 4 weeks max), and I wouldn't expect a replacement to do any better.

Probably the best thing is for someone to compile a list of people that have had this issue so that we can report it and they can get a more realistic view of the magnitude of the problem (assuming they're not a bunch of dicks that are doing an "Apple" and pretending that the problem is entirely down to user error).

FWIW, every (similar) OEM latch I've had a chance to look at since this (not many, as you can imagine it's not my hobby), uses metal for this part, so I think the issue is only solvable that way.
Last edited by anoneamus on Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

syrobs
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by syrobs » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:23 am

I’ve just emailed them asking if they can send me out a new handle, think I got mine from eBay like 6?months ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Padster
Caddy Fan

Post by Padster » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:07 pm

Good luck with that no we’re on there listening on there web site dose it say that there is only 6 mouths warranty only when you phone them

brownmaximan
Caddy Fan

Post by brownmaximan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:23 am

Decided to redesign mineImage

ImageImage

anoneamus
Hyper Poster

Post by anoneamus » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:45 pm

@brownmaximan Nice job! What did you use to drill the hole?

brownmaximan
Caddy Fan

Post by brownmaximan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:13 pm

anoneamus wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:45 pm
@brownmaximan Nice job! What did you use to drill the hole?

um a drill bit :D sorry, start of with a small pilot hole, which is tricky because small drill bits are short so need to hang drill bit as far out of the chuck as you can, then you can drill pilot hole square, max size you could use is what i have which i believe was 8mm.

brownmaximan
Caddy Fan

Post by brownmaximan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:10 pm

So they kind of admitted it has a problem in this reply.....

Thank you for your reply.

You may be right on your idea of the spring being too strong, on our next production we will make the spring weaker.

The main question still exists, we have a total of 850 sets sold and only a handful have got broken handles, some of them you may have seen in the Caddy forum.

We will run another production of this glove box next year.

As a gesture of good will we will send another replacement handle but this will be the final one we will offer.

I hope this helps and shows you we are not just looking for money from people. We have got our own glove box in our Caddy for over a year and it is still as new, however we will send another handle.