UPDATE 2nd time now injector fault & possible remedy...

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Paul9616
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Paul9616 »

Driving back from Cornwall on Sunday night I noticed a momentary loss of power (fart). After another 35-40 miles of driving a sudden loud bang and immediate loss of power, flashing coil light and no revs awaited me, but luckily enough I was at a junction and managed to crawl off the A30 at about 8-10mph and into a service station with the caddy sounding like a bag on spanners....

I connected my cheap £12 Maxiscan and found that the 'injector on cylinder 3 had an open circuit' P203 if I remember correctly; on reseting the light and pulling away I was faced with the same issue, of lack of power, however; after what was a brain fart moment, decided to leave the Maxiscan connected to continually reset the fault automatically and drive back; the remaining 110miles where problem free, on arriving at work I disconnected switched off and re-connected to see if any faults were still registering and nil, zilch, nothing appeared, even driving to the garage the following day still pulled and acted as it should...

The Caddy is now in the garage with their system unable to identify any faults associated to the injector, however; as piece of mind I have managed to purchase a brand new VDO A2C9626040080 injector from EBay which seems to be the latest uprated one for £180 instead of the £407 VW want...

Just thought I would pass this nugget on as the sudden loss of power is bad enough, but a £12 scanner can be used to reset and get you home without being in limp-mode... £12 well spent.
Last edited by Paul9616 on Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Black 2011 C20 1.6 tdi 100 bhp / remapped to 140ps, 18" 3sdm 0.01 alloys, Coilovers, Lower GTI splitter, Touran 5 seat conversion, Mk6 golf GTI red stitch flat bottom steering wheel, Touran centre console and armrest, TRC splitter Mk6 GTI.
jlaamweise
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Re: Weird injector fault & possible remedy...

Post by jlaamweise »

Got a link to one? I'll get a scanner ordered for that money!
Paul9616
100BHP+

Post by Paul9616 »

jlaamweise - Its one of these from EBay; just a very simple scanner that reads & resets faults

Autel MaxiScan MS309 CAN OBD-II Diagnostic Code Scanner
Black 2011 C20 1.6 tdi 100 bhp / remapped to 140ps, 18" 3sdm 0.01 alloys, Coilovers, Lower GTI splitter, Touran 5 seat conversion, Mk6 golf GTI red stitch flat bottom steering wheel, Touran centre console and armrest, TRC splitter Mk6 GTI.
jlaamweise
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by jlaamweise »

Awesome. Just ordered one
Paul9616
100BHP+

Re: Weird injector fault & possible remedy... 2nd time now

Post by Paul9616 »

So today heading home in the outside lane heading SW on the A30 near Newquay, in horrendous rain it happened... a quick flash of the coil light and a drop in power, I managed to get onto the hard shoulder.

Plugged my £15 scanner in and the fault P201 No1 injector issue registered, I tried to get the 200m to a lay by to sort it out and as I was sat there I managed to reset and clear the fault it took three attempts but it worked again.. and I managed to drive the 30 miles home with no issues at all, even stopping off to call in to the supermarket.

My issue is my heart is saying change the injector but my brain is saying why.... if I have managed to reset the issue, has this caused the issue to go away completely? I will give it a go to see if it fails again as I do 400 miles a weekend I should be able to give an update if this has cleared it and if these injector issues are an intermittent issue that means the injectors don't need replacing and just requires the fault or be cleared?

The first time that this happened as I have mentioned in the original post I managed to reset the fault and drive back to work some 120miles and when I dropped it off at an Indy VW garage they couldn't find any injector faults and the car was driving fine!!!
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

It's a tough call, I'd do as you have and just keep the spare to hand in case the original does lie down entirely.
It's not the normal injector fault seen on the early 1.6TDIs, any that I've seen have had the injector coil goo open circuit and never come back.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Paul9616
100BHP+

Re: 2nd time now injector fault & possible remedy...

Post by Paul9616 »

Doc the fault on both occasions has said an open circuit on both No3 and latterly injector No1.

It takes three to four attempts to reset the error with the engine still running and then it clears and it runs fine :?

I'm now on 55k so I've done 6k in the four months since my last pop..... I'll keep you posted to how it goes.

But the £12-15 Maxiscanner is a blessing in disguise, not great for anything else apart from resetting this fault.
sausagefingers
100BHP+

Post by sausagefingers »

Is the scanner one of these? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-MS309-OB ... SwPCFZqRMq

Cheers
Paul9616
100BHP+

Post by Paul9616 »

That's the one 👍🏻
sausagefingers
100BHP+

Post by sausagefingers »

Great, worth giving it a go at that price if the need arises - cheers

You don’t happen to have a massive box of these scanners by any chance that you’re trying to shift on eBay do you? 😉
Paul9616
100BHP+

Post by Paul9616 »

Haha. Dam I've been rumbled need to change my posting location from China to the UK....
Paul9616
100BHP+

Post by Paul9616 »

So after clearing the fault on Friday I drove back to Wiltshire this evening some 201miles and can report that I've had no issues with the Caddy....

So are these injector issues just mearly a circuit that can be cleared and that ultimately clears the injector fault. Having had one changed before the reluctance to have my second one done was at the fore front of my decision.

To confirm I had no issues with lack of power or fuel during my drive, everything running how it should be?

Bloody weird.
sausagefingers
100BHP+

Post by sausagefingers »

It's certainly interesting. I bought my caddy hoping it was going to be a mega reliable mile muncher, I didn't know about the injector fault so it's always in the back of my mind now whenever I set off to work 30-40 miles away. I've now bought a spare injector to carry round with me and have ordered a fault reader so fingers crossed I'll be covered if the worst happens
JD2k
Twin Turbo poster

Post by JD2k »

Just replaced my second injector, my total costs on injectors are close to £800 :(
Definitely going to purchase one of these on the chance it might get going on my 30 mile commute to work! Thanks for sharing
ImageImageImage
sausagefingers
100BHP+

Post by sausagefingers »

My plan is that if an injector goes I'll call breakdown and hopefully get them to fit it. I'm going to be on a site for a couple of weeks which is a 150 mile round trip so would have felt a bit uncomfortable doing 1500+ miles in a short time without a backup