MFSW upgrade

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
IANDIRL
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

MFSW upgrade

Post by IANDIRL »

I've a Golf Mk 6 GTi Flat bottom steering wheel with MF buttons on it. I've had it for over a year and now that I've recently purchased a caddy I believe the standard airbag is a direct fitment.

The caddy is a basic model with plastic steering wheel and no on board dash computer.

Is there much I would need to get the Steering wheel buttons working with the radio ECT? Or what is the parts il need to make it work?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Ian

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

totty79
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: MFSW upgrade

Post by totty79 »

Apply to access to the rest of the site and you'll find a how to for this.
IANDIRL
Caddy Fan

Post by IANDIRL »

I have done so already it can take upto 7 days for access so i'll just have to play the waiting game.

In the mean time I'm looking at the Ross-Tech site to check what bits and pieces I need before I tackle it.

I've purchased Full Vag com 2017-VCDS 17.8 HEX-V2 last week so when i get a chance over the weekend I will hook it up and see what I'm dealing with.

Do you know also for the onboard trip computer do you need to upgrade anything in order to get that running?

Thanks,

Ian
tommyzooom
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by tommyzooom »

You will need a highline SWCM, and airbag loom.
What clocks do you have now? Part no.?
My Website
My Instagram

""Don't want to meet your daddy, just want you in my Caddy"" André 3000 (2003) ;)
IANDIRL
Caddy Fan

Post by IANDIRL »

tommyzooom wrote:You will need a highline SWCM, and airbag loom.
What clocks do you have now? Part no.?
Cheers for info, don't know part number will connect vag-com over the weekend and find out here's a pic of wheel and clocks now.

Ian Image

Bionicman
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Bionicman »

Just a thought on this installation. Whilst you are doing this install why don't you fit cruise control if you have not got it already? You can get a cruise control kit which includes the correct swcm needed for the mfsw as well as the cruise control stalks. Cost from VW for the kit is £126.37 + the dreaded vat. VW cruise control kit part no 5K0054691D. Go on kill two birds with one stone. However you will still need the airbag to swcm wiring loom as tommyzooom said, but these are pretty cheap to buy though. I got one for £20 of the bay. VW part no 5K0971584A.
Just had a look on ebay and someone is selling a new cruise control kit as same as part no above (5K0054691D) for £115.00 + £6.99 p&p. They are open to offers.
IANDIRL
Caddy Fan

Post by IANDIRL »

Bionicman wrote:Just a thought on this installation. Whilst you are doing this install why don't you fit cruise control if you have not got it already? You can get a cruise control kit which includes the correct swcm needed for the mfsw as well as the cruise control stalks. Cost from VW for the kit is £126.37 + the dreaded vat. VW cruise control kit part no 5K0054691D. Go on kill two birds with one stone. However you will still need the airbag to swcm wiring loom as tommyzooom said, but these are pretty cheap to buy though. I got one for £20 of the bay. VW part no 5K0971584A.
Just had a look on ebay and someone is selling a new cruise control kit as same as part no above (5K0054691D) for £115.00 + £6.99 p&p. They are open to offers.
Good thinking mate.

Just here on Vag com at the min

I was told that the airbag will fit straight into the mk6 wheel. The airbag the van has is 7E0 959 655 B. Do you know will it work with steering wheel?

Bionicman
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Bionicman »

IANDIRL wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:38 pm Good thinking mate.

Just here on Vag com at the min

I was told that the airbag will fit straight into the mk6 wheel. The airbag the van has is 7E0 959 655 B. Do you know will it work with steering wheel?

Where did you get that airbag part no from? It is the control module ecu for the airbag. The airbag that you have on your original steering wheel is the right one to fit in your mk6 steering wheel. It is a straight swap. You will have to remove your original airbag first to remove the original steering wheel. Don't forget to disconnect your negative lead on your battery first before removing the airbag.
The easy answer is yes it will work, you have the right airbag already to fit your new wheel, but you will need the additional parts as mentioned before to code it in to make it all work properly. Parts still required are the highline swcm and airbag to swcm wiring loom.
IANDIRL
Caddy Fan

Post by IANDIRL »

Bionicman wrote: Where did you get that airbag part no from? It is the control module ecu for the airbag. The airbag that you have on your original steering wheel is the right one to fit in your mk6 steering wheel. It is a straight swap. You will have to remove your original airbag first to remove the original steering wheel. Don't forget to disconnect your negative lead on your battery first before removing the airbag.
The easy answer is yes it will work, you have the right airbag already to fit your new wheel, but you will need the additional parts as mentioned before to code it in to make it all work properly. Parts still required are the highline swcm and airbag to swcm wiring loom.
I got it from VCDS. Yeah I've just googled it there and it's the airbag ecu itself .

I will disconnect the battery when removing airbag.

Is this the correct loom I need?
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2406449159

I will pick up the other bits you've talked about too on eBay if I can't source them from breakers