Road tax

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Steve Robbo
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Road tax

Post by Steve Robbo »

Morning I’m new to the forum and was just wanting a bit of advice .
I’ve been looking to buy a caddy and was wondering which model diesel 2011 on has the cheapest road tax
Cheers
Steve
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Road tax

Post by Doc »

Hi, welcome to the forum.
All the commercial Caddys have the same tax.
If you're buying a passenger model (life), it's gonna be the same as car tax.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
RKDesigns
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Road tax

Post by RKDesigns »

In england is if you Buy a commercial Caddy as private person its still the commercial road tax? Over here in The Netherlands you have to pay in that case the passenger version road tax. And it Depends also on weight categories how high the tax Will be.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
CaddyShack2k
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by CaddyShack2k »

On the V5 it will be listed either as Light Commercial or Car Derived Van, I suppose the latter applies to the Maxi Life, I recently paid something like £165 for six months on my 1.9 tdi!! The government should hire Dick Turpin to collect road tax
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

Car derived van is still commercial.
The life is a passenger car.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Bluebeard
200BHP+

Post by Bluebeard »

CaddyShack2k wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:02 am On the V5 it will be listed either as Light Commercial or Car Derived Van, I suppose the latter applies to the Maxi Life, I recently paid something like £165 for six months on my 1.9 tdi!! The government should hire Dick Turpin to collect road tax
thats a lot! I thought £240 for a year was steep on a 1.6
tommyzooom
Hyper Poster

Post by tommyzooom »

Count your blessings...
In Irl road tax is €333,+ €111 annual cvrt(mot) test
My Website
My Instagram

""Don't want to meet your daddy, just want you in my Caddy"" André 3000 (2003) ;)
CaddyShack2k
Hyper Poster

Post by CaddyShack2k »

tommyzooom wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:24 pm Count your blessings...
In Irl road tax is €333,+ €111 annual cvrt(mot) test
That'll go up when we stop shovelling money into the EU
SnoWhite
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by SnoWhite »

Wow - Some interesting insights into relative vehicle ownership costs in this thread.

Meantime over in France they really like doing things their own unique way.

Instead of paying for an expensive system to separately collect road tax, their road tax (Tax Fiscale) is collected automatically as a mandatory surcharge on all French insurance policies. Typically this adds around 140 euro pa for a 1.6 caddy to underlying insurance.

As for testing fees, again they like doing things differently. They require biennial MOT (Controle Technique) tests after a vehicle is 4 years old . These can produce a weird - pass, almost passed and fail result. Because testing is only mandatory every two years the testers don't just look to see if the vehicle is "safe today" - they also look for anything which is likely to need attention within the following two years, in which case they only issue a Contra Visit pass which is valid for 1 month to allow the identified issues like serviceable but nearly worn out tyres or brake pads to be replaced, and then re examined at the same station. Last time for me a basic test cost 98 euro with a retest 65 - so it could easily work out more expensive that Ireland.

Another uniquely French idea is there is no MOT(Controle Technique) for 2 wheelers (scooters/motorbikes of any size). Testing is a very lucrative business with a lot of German firms active in France and most EU markets. Inevitably they are keen to increase their profits and the big testing firms have been lobbying France via EU harmonisation talks, to introduce mandatory tests for motorbikes and thankfully the French have the guts to keep saying Non! They point to independent insurance industry data which consistently shows that French registered motorbikes have far fewer accidents where a vehicle defect is identified as a contributory factor, compared with motorbikes from those countries with mandatory testing. Why? Well French bikers are not lulled into a false sense of security by a piece of paper still being valid, they know that they are the only ones checking their bike, so they tend to ensure they check their bike over before every ride, and of course the money not being spent on testing fees is available to spend on replacing tyres and brake pads. Perhaps more by luck the French have found a zero cost way to ensure that French registered motorbikes are less likely to be involved in accidents.

It will be interesting to see if post Brexit the UK is willing to learn from France and finally become brave enough to piss off the self interested German testing firms and decide to abandon testing for motorbikes. Interesting times ahead.
Gaj69
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by Gaj69 »

SnoWhite wrote:Wow - Some interesting insights into relative vehicle ownership costs in this thread.

Meantime over in France they really like doing things their own unique way.

Instead of paying for an expensive system to separately collect road tax, their road tax (Tax Fiscale) is collected automatically as a mandatory surcharge on all French insurance policies. Typically this adds around 140 euro pa for a 1.6 caddy to underlying insurance.

As for testing fees, again they like doing things differently. They require biennial MOT (Controle Technique) tests after a vehicle is 4 years old . These can produce a weird - pass, almost passed and fail result. Because testing is only mandatory every two years the testers don't just look to see if the vehicle is "safe today" - they also look for anything which is likely to need attention within the following two years, in which case they only issue a Contra Visit pass which is valid for 1 month to allow the identified issues like serviceable but nearly worn out tyres or brake pads to be replaced, and then re examined at the same station. Last time for me a basic test cost 98 euro with a retest 65 - so it could easily work out more expensive that Ireland.

Another uniquely French idea is there is no MOT(Controle Technique) for 2 wheelers (scooters/motorbikes of any size). Testing is a very lucrative business with a lot of German firms active in France and most EU markets. Inevitably they are keen to increase their profits and the big testing firms have been lobbying France via EU harmonisation talks, to introduce mandatory tests for motorbikes and thankfully the French have the guts to keep saying Non! They point to independent insurance industry data which consistently shows that French registered motorbikes have far fewer accidents where a vehicle defect is identified as a contributory factor, compared with motorbikes from those countries with mandatory testing. Why? Well French bikers are not lulled into a false sense of security by a piece of paper still being valid, they know that they are the only ones checking their bike, so they tend to ensure they check their bike over before every ride, and of course the money not being spent on testing fees is available to spend on replacing tyres and brake pads. Perhaps more by luck the French have found a zero cost way to ensure that French registered motorbikes are less likely to be involved in accidents.

It will be interesting to see if post Brexit the UK is willing to learn from France and finally become brave enough to piss off the self interested German testing firms and decide to abandon testing for motorbikes. Interesting times ahead.
2016 Caddy Life Bluemotion is £30 for the year Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DJOHALL
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

Post by DJOHALL »

I can’t get commercial tax here in Ireland on my 2016 Caddy and they want me to tax it privately at a cost of €710. It really makes me mad to think that another VW using the same engine as mine can be taxed for around €200 for the year.
CaddyShack2k
Hyper Poster

Post by CaddyShack2k »

DJOHALL wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:11 am I can’t get commercial tax here in Ireland on my 2016 Caddy and they want me to tax it privately at a cost of €710. It really makes me mad to think that another VW using the same engine as mine can be taxed for around €200 for the year.
HOLY SHIT! €710!! I'd start doing something drastic like registering it in Ulster and paying British tax

...you'd get a cool Ulster number plate too
RKDesigns
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by RKDesigns »

In The Netherlands 2.0 tdi Caddy 4 is around €350,- per year as company owner, private owner without a company.. then its over €110,- per month for the road tax. Here they look in categories of weight.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Austins
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Austins »

The tax system is beyond me it costs me 252 for the year on the 1.9 tdi caddy yet my 4.6 v8 mg mustang engine tourer is 290 for the year absolute crazy

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

That's not a fair apples with apples comparison. Your Caddy is a commercial vehicle and thus falls under that tax bracket.
Commercial vehicles, disregarding the extreme high and low mileages, cover say 20,000 - 150,000 miles per year.
Consider the difference in wear and tare on the road network compared to a private vehicle averaging 12,000 miles per year.
THIS is where your difference in road tax comes from!
It might not seem fair when your only using your commercial vehicle for private use, but it is the way it is and it's unlikely to change any time soon.