New caddy owner questions

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Peaceyy
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

New caddy owner questions

Post by Peaceyy »

Hi all, just got an 09 1.9 tdi caddy. Few questions I hope can be answered. The vans had a Sony head unit installed, it doesn’t turn off with the ignition? Is this normal? Secondly what are the 2 buttons for to the right hand side of the drivers door? And does my caddy have an amplified aerial? Somebody’s fitted the head unit and not installed the aerial adaptor , so I was wondering if il need the amplified aerial adaptor? What engine oil do people use? Il be changing it every 6k.
Generous182
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: New caddy owner questions

Post by Generous182 »

I have the same problem with the stereo not turning off with the key, I’ve not got round to fixing it yet. Your stereo has a permanent live going to it hence how it doesn’t turn off, you need to take a live from the fuse box (rear wiper ) you can get piggyback fuse cables from eBay for a coupe of quid. Easy fix hope this helps
Ghost-rider
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by Ghost-rider »

For most aftermarket headunits nowadays, if you look at the iso loom that comes out of the headunit(or adaptor iso lead) you will see a yellow wire and a red wire, normally you can swap these around to suit perm. Live or ignition live, the wires should have bullet terminals in them with rubber sleeves over, just pull em apart, live fir the aerial could be took from the same place if reqd.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Aftermarket head units not working off the ignition usually means the installer has taken the cheap and easy way out when installing the unit.
As the factory unit is turned on and off with a CANbus message, there is no conventional ignition supply to the unit.
Proper wiring adaptors (Quadlock to ISO) have an extra wire which needs to be run to the fuse box or another source of an ignition supply, or a CAN decoder box to interpret the CAN message and produce the necessary switching on/off.

The buttons at your drivers door, are on the B pillar? If so, these are for disabling the alarm interior monitoring and tilt sensor.

You will need a proper FM antenna adaptor which has a power injector to supply the factory amplifier.

The oil on these modern VW Diesel engines is very specific. You NEED to look for VW 504 or 507 specification on the oil.
Using oil that does not meet this standard will lead to wear and failure on your engine.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Peaceyy
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Peaceyy »

Hi thanks for the replies, regarding stereo unit. I’ve attached some pics to show a blue wire that looks to be snipped on the connector, is this factory? My cig lighter is on a constant live also is this not right? I need to whip the centre fascia off and have a look if anything’s been modified.