What made you want a caddy?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
watty1998
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

What made you want a caddy?

Post by watty1998 »

I’m intrigued as to why everyone has picked a caddy to modify out of anything else you could have picked?!

Mine reasons being, that I can sleep in it and take the mountain bike out at the same time. Having something different to a modified car, more head turning to see a modded Caddy! And the fact there are so many mods you can do to it compared to car in terms of interior and exterior, colour coding, carpeting, changing dash etc!

Let me know your reasons!
Generous182
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Re: What made you want a caddy?

Post by Generous182 »

Resale value, reliability, practical, and they look awesome
PaulC61
Hyper Poster

Post by PaulC61 »

It was the best fit for all the jobs I wanted it to do, mountain bike, people and stuff Lugger. I had looked at estate cars, mpv’s and bigger vans and none of them could do all the roles. Also way cheaper than a T5.
My Pure Grey Maxi Kombi Build viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32111
hungry monkey
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by hungry monkey »

Always loved vans and vw for some reason but was never a fan of transporters. Caddy seems just about big enough for my needs, drives well, looks good and matched my mk1 caddy too!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

healthglo
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by healthglo »

This is my first post. I have just bought a Caddy Camper in Australia- I have wanted one since 2008 and finally did it. I have had several issues with it though I hope to sort out.
I love that it is fuel efficient as I drive a lot for work but can also be a camper. It has the bed that folds out but I am keen to add draws that bull out under the bed for storage and to add a roof top tent for the kids to sleep in.
It came with a tent that goes over the tail gate but it is way to bulky being canvas. I have a nylon once with a floor and flyscreen I bought for my old car that fits it so I will use that instead in summer. That one is a Tailveil I bought years ago online from the USA.
For me it is about being able to get away quickly with the family instead of spending for ever packing and erecting a tent.
watty1998
100BHP+

Post by watty1998 »

Some awesome reasons guys! I found a T5 was a bit big for me as my dad has a LWB one so a caddy maxi it was. Mods start Jan 15th 😜
Ricksy1121
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Ricksy1121 »

Because I couldn’t afford an M-Sport transit connect 🤪🤪🤪🤪 caddy is the best looking van that isn’t an m sport lol.
Caddy 1.2tsi 2018 - fiat 126 bis 1991- bond bug 1971
craigroco
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by craigroco »

I wanted something that does a bit of everything ! Room for mountain bike ( and my brother in law's ), golf clubs and electric caddy car withour dismantling, take the wife and me hill walking....and transport the dog around without worrying about destroying the car :-)

And with the TDI I can map it as I've always had R32's, Golf Gti's, BMW E30 325i, Audi 225 TT etc etc

Oh, and I still haven't bought one...still looking, but got my £300 berlingo through it's MOT for the second year running earlier this month at a cost of £90...so no rush. Just waiting for the right one at the right price :lol:
Caddyluv
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Caddyluv »

Craigroco when you get a chance look at a you should look up a build by mk2kompressor title My £500 SDI. Maybe something you could do with eye for bargain vans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wardyed30
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Wardyed30 »

Want something g to mess with and all so good for mtb ;)
totty79
200BHP+

Post by totty79 »

I didn't really want anything to modify, it just accidentaly turned into a small (for now) project.
watty1998
100BHP+

Post by watty1998 »

totty79 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:59 pm I didn't really want anything to modify, it just accidentaly turned into a small (for now) project.
Gets addicting though doesn’t it Totty, just little tweaks here and there turn into big tweets!
totty79
200BHP+

Post by totty79 »

Yer, my monkeybike only has original frame, yokes and loom, but it's a toy - I thought I'd grown out of messing with a daily driver but I guess not, I blame the What have you done to your Caddy today thread.
Al kaline
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Al kaline »

Needed a small, reliable van, with a bit of luxury for longer journeys. With my major aversion to modern looking things, it wasn't a difficult choice when looking at the others in the small van range. Unlike the rest of the newer small vans, the Caddy is stylish. I loved my Daihatsu Hijet but she was grief. I dont think id be happy with any other modern van but a Caddy.
r6paul
Caddy Fan

Post by r6paul »

Its my first van, always had Estate cars before hand. Wanted something bigger for all my scuba diving gear and its always handy to have something you can chuck anything and everything in. I need a crew cab as it still needs to be a family car (have a child with the second on the way).

Being blunt i actually wanted a Ford Custom but they are still just too expensive and out of my price range. I spotted a VW Caddy Maxi Kombi at my local garage when out and about looking at Customs. Had a sit in it, a play, and a bit of research and before i knew it the deposit was down. Its the best of both worlds. Big enough to put lots of stuff in it but small enough that it will still easily park in 'normal' spaces and go anywhere without any hassle.

Thanks
Paul
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.