Caddy Maxi Rear Airbags?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
r6paul
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Caddy Maxi Rear Airbags?

Post by r6paul »

Evening all,

I've done a quick search but can't seem to find my answer.

I am just about to sign on the dotted line for a VW Caddy Maxi 1.6 TDI.

However tonight whilst taking it for a final test drive we noticed that there aren't any airbags in the rear. As it's going to be used as my main mode of transport quite often I'll have the children in the back. The wife Is now not keen that it doesn't have any rear airbags.

Does anyone know if they can be retrofitted as they are fitted in the Caddy Maxi Life?

Thanks in advance
Paul
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
stan-the-man
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Re: Caddy Maxi Rear Airbags?

Post by stan-the-man »

None of the passenger cars we ever had were equipped with rear airbags. The only airbags I know of that might cover passenger in rear are the curtain airbags which go along the roof.
If it's caddy 4 you are getting more likely it has curtain airbags as standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
r6paul
Caddy Fan

Post by r6paul »

stan-the-man wrote:None of the passenger cars we ever had were equipped with rear airbags. The only airbags I know of that might cover passenger in rear are the curtain airbags which go along the roof.
If it's caddy 4 you are getting more likely it has curtain airbags as standard.

Yep, sorry you are right. It's the curtain airbags I meant. As per the video on here:

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/vw/caddy/21487

I'm looking at retrofitting them to a 2013 caddy

Thanks
Paul

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
stan-the-man
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by stan-the-man »

It's slightly more complicated Paul. What airbag setup does the caddy you getting have?
-drivers airbag only
-drivers airbag and passenger (in dash)

I retrofitted seat airbags into my fl caddy before I got new one.
It had both drivers and passenger airbags already so I only had to add two crash sensors and wiring for them and the seats. But I also had to change my airbag module to suit as these are pre coded with software in factory.

If your maxi is a life model more likely you already have front drivers and passenger airbags and seat airbags as well? If so retrofitting curtain airbags I think should be possible but would require caddy 4 module and airbags itself.

That would defo be interesting project :)

r6paul
Caddy Fan

Post by r6paul »

Stan,

Thanks for the reply again.

I rang the VW garage this morning and they stated that it couldn't be done due to it changing the EuroNCAP standard which would invalidate the insurance?! However interestingly i thought the Life had the side curtain bags in but they don't either.

I was originally after a Transit Custom but they are just too expensive still which is why i am purchasing a Caddy. I'm still relatively new to VWs so i'll have to do a lot more research on the various models and what can be used from which (already seen from here the Touran is a good donor vehicle). A lot of reading to be done!!

Anyway, I've been given the go ahead by SWMBO (after she'd seen the NCAP test results were completed without any rear or curtain airbags) so once I've purchased it and sorted out the basic mods i'll come back and revisit this mod in the future.

Thanks for your help.
Paul
r6paul
Caddy Fan

Post by r6paul »

I forgot to mention it is a 2013 Maxi 1.6 C20 Kombi 140. It has both the steering wheel airbag and the passenger dash airbag.

Thanks
Paul
Maxi4life
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by Maxi4life »

Get onto airlift performance, they'll sort you out with some good airbags lol

Sorry couldn't resist haha

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk