water ingress.

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
salmon007
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

water ingress.

Post by salmon007 »

Yesterday i noticed a a splashing sound behind drivers side along the floor whenever i applied the brakes ,i know that the diesel can be heard moving around when you brake behind passenger side .Then today i noticed at the front drivers side mudflap the water was running out just in behind the mudflap ,i did'nt think there would be anywhere that water could get in and splash around the floor area ?
Afield23
Hyper Poster

Re: water ingress.

Post by Afield23 »

This is covered elsewhere on the forum- commonly the area under your scuttle panel clogs with crap and the water run in through the air intake into the footwells. There should be a hole in the wing for water to escape so you might need to look and unclog it. That's the usual cause I believe

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

salmon007
Caddy Fan

Post by salmon007 »

Thank you Afield 23, i will have a look in the morning .
Afield23
Hyper Poster

Post by Afield23 »

Any luck?

salmon007
Caddy Fan

Post by salmon007 »

Yes , i lifted the bonnet and found leaves etc clogging up the drainage hole at drivers side once cleared i put the hose on screen and water escaped down behind mudflap also 2 plastic drainage holes under sill which i cleaned ,no more water splashing about .
Afield23
Hyper Poster

Post by Afield23 »

Which drainage holes are they mate? I might need to check them on mine too. Hopefully you're sorted then?

salmon007
Caddy Fan

Post by salmon007 »

The van is a 2013, the holes at either side of wing directly above wheel they are small round and get blocked very easy .I took this of internet .
Roughly a year ago I discovered a large amount of water was lying in the foot wells of my car. I had no idea what was causing this. There were no obvious problems like a leaking radiator. After a long time I finally discovered it was a blocked scuttle, or windscreen, drain. If the scuttle drains block the water can backup and enter the cars interior through the air intakes. It took me along time to get the car dry again as the sound proofing material used under the carpet can absorb a lot of water and is hard to dry. Therefore it is essential to keep these drains running freely because they are rarely checked or cleaned as part of a car service. What follows is some information and tips on car scuttle drains, with photographs also:

What is a scuttle drain? A scuttle drain is used to divert any water which falls on your car windscreen to the ground, without coming into contact with your engine or exposed metal. When water falls onto a car windscreen it runs down the face of the glass and is diverted though drainage holes onto a covered collector gutter below. The water drains through holes on either side of this gutter and is then diverted through rubber scuttle drainage pipes which direct the water onto the ground below the car without any splashing onto engine parts, metal or wires. There are usually two, on either side of the car.

How do they get blocked? The dirt and leaves that fall onto the windscreen can block the drains. Like most people I had never cleaned mine and it took a few years for them to become blocked. If the car is parked under trees I would imagine it would be more likely that these drains would block.

How can they be cleaned? The drains are located in a difficult to access area at the back of the engine. The plastic panel at the base of the windscreen usually has to be removed to access the top of the drains. The drains can then be cleaned out using a flexible wire and flushed with warm water. Personally however I would ask your mechanic to do it during the next service. As a precaution the car user should remove any visible leaves and dirt on a daily basis from the base of the windscreen before it is washed into the gutter below.
Gaj69
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by Gaj69 »

salmon007 wrote:The van is a 2013, the holes at either side of wing directly above wheel they are small round and get blocked very easy .I took this of internet .
Roughly a year ago I discovered a large amount of water was lying in the foot wells of my car. I had no idea what was causing this. There were no obvious problems like a leaking radiator. After a long time I finally discovered it was a blocked scuttle, or windscreen, drain. If the scuttle drains block the water can backup and enter the cars interior through the air intakes. It took me along time to get the car dry again as the sound proofing material used under the carpet can absorb a lot of water and is hard to dry. Therefore it is essential to keep these drains running freely because they are rarely checked or cleaned as part of a car service. What follows is some information and tips on car scuttle drains, with photographs also:

What is a scuttle drain? A scuttle drain is used to divert any water which falls on your car windscreen to the ground, without coming into contact with your engine or exposed metal. When water falls onto a car windscreen it runs down the face of the glass and is diverted though drainage holes onto a covered collector gutter below. The water drains through holes on either side of this gutter and is then diverted through rubber scuttle drainage pipes which direct the water onto the ground below the car without any splashing onto engine parts, metal or wires. There are usually two, on either side of the car.

How do they get blocked? The dirt and leaves that fall onto the windscreen can block the drains. Like most people I had never cleaned mine and it took a few years for them to become blocked. If the car is parked under trees I would imagine it would be more likely that these drains would block.

How can they be cleaned? The drains are located in a difficult to access area at the back of the engine. The plastic panel at the base of the windscreen usually has to be removed to access the top of the drains. The drains can then be cleaned out using a flexible wire and flushed with warm water. Personally however I would ask your mechanic to do it during the next service. As a precaution the car user should remove any visible leaves and dirt on a daily basis from the base of the windscreen before it is washed into the gutter below.
Looks like you have it sorted but maybe worth checking the roof rack bolts are fitted, mine leaked after the dealer incorrectly fitted roof rails.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk