Tailgate, chopping the ar#e off a caddy?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
jordancmcb
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Tailgate, chopping the ar#e off a caddy?

Post by jordancmcb »

Just a quick one, I'm sure it is well documented in the members section but I'm wanting to go from a barn door to a tailgate. I have found a breakers to supply a tailgate with everything. I understand you need to reinforce the frame around the tailgate. What does this involve? Is is worth getting the breaker to cut the whole frame and sending me the lot?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Re: Tailgate, chopping the ar#e off a caddy?

Post by dan@biali »

I don't know exactly what you need but there are 2 pieces that basically reinforce the roof. Not sure if they're welded in either. My copy of etka has stopped working so maybe someone else can have a quick look for you.
CaddyShack2k
Hyper Poster

Post by CaddyShack2k »

I could have a look at my tailgate but if you just think about it, the hinge and top and bottom striker locations on the barn door and the hinge and single floor mounted striker on the tailgate, that's a lot of work. When you say get the breaker to cut the whole door opening off for you, are you thinking of grafting the whole thing back on in one piece? Now that would be a challenge
dan@biali
Hyper Poster

Post by dan@biali »

Its not that much work. Reflex converted mine to tailgate and as I said, its 2 pieces - I think one is the hinge part and the other is a reinforcement. The trim around the latch is obviously different.
jordancmcb
Caddy Fan

Post by jordancmcb »

CaddyShack2k wrote:I could have a look at my tailgate but if you just think about it, the hinge and top and bottom striker locations on the barn door and the hinge and single floor mounted striker on the tailgate, that's a lot of work. When you say get the breaker to cut the whole door opening off for you, are you thinking of grafting the whole thing back on in one piece? Now that would be a challenge
Nah It was more so I don't end up short on bits I was just going to get them to chop the lot lol

jordancmcb
Caddy Fan

Post by jordancmcb »

dan@biali wrote:Its not that much work. Reflex converted mine to tailgate and as I said, its 2 pieces - I think one is the hinge part and the other is a reinforcement. The trim around the latch is obviously different.
How much did it cost you and did they supply all the parts?

dan@biali
Hyper Poster

Post by dan@biali »

Not sure of cost as it was part of a bigger project but yes they supplied brand new parts. Tailgate is close to £400 on its own I think.
CaddyShack2k
Hyper Poster

Post by CaddyShack2k »

Looked at my tailgate and the bottom striker panel is the same as for barn doors, the plastic trim panel has the right hand striker blanked off, so that's one less thing to worry about
BB13
100BHP+

Post by BB13 »

doing a tail gate conversion my self, you have to also make/reinforce where the gas struts mount too as well.
dan@biali
Hyper Poster

Post by dan@biali »

Updating any posts referencing this but its NOT a cheap or easy job after all. Reflex explained the process to me today and its actually worse than doing the sliding door delete in terms of bodywork. It was cheaper on mine because by peeling off the side the access is better, hence why they suggested doing it when they were doing my sliding door delete.
artske
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.0 TSI (100bhp)

Post by artske »

Is the strut reinforcer internal or external?

planning on doing this myself but need a goooood welder lol
thanks