Emissions ‘fix’ to get or not?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
watty1998
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Emissions ‘fix’ to get or not?

Post by watty1998 »

Hi guys, had the van in with VW today for a check up and they’ve offered me the emissions fix. Has anyone got their own experiences before and after as to pros and cons whether to have it done or not? I know you get two years warranty on the injectors. I have a 1.6L TDI 65 plate 2015 of this helps?
jlaamweise
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Re: Emissions ‘fix’ to get or not?

Post by jlaamweise »

2 year injector warranty? That in writing anywhere?

I don't plan to have the van 2 years....so could act as a good bit of warranty incase they die!

Only concern is the fix killing the EGR or DPF
John stratton
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.0 TSI (100bhp)

Post by John stratton »

No advantage having it done . Worse mpg , more soot going back into the engine , DPf , egr , injector problems etc . Join the Facebook emissions page to see all the problems people are having .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RichardB
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by RichardB »

EGR problems seem to be rife after the update on the 1.6 TDI engine
watty1998
100BHP+

Post by watty1998 »

Ok that answers that then! No emissions fix here aha
Fran1981
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by Fran1981 »

I’ve refused the so called fox every time my van has been in for work in Vw

Baconman
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Baconman »

I had my 2011 Skoda Yeti "fixed" after many letters telling me it wouldn't change mpg or performance. The dpf light now comes on needing a blast down the motorway to clear it. The car does 30k miles a year, motorway every day. 2.0 tdi 110 cr. I would not have it done again.
Maverick58
Caddy Fan

Post by Maverick58 »

Spoken to vw Poole this afternoon who have told me mine is on the list for the emissions recall. Apparently there are 11 possible after issues related to the emissions fix once the procedure has been carried out, not on the list are the injectors, But they guarantee for 2 yrs or 16,000 miles. Just wondering whether it’s worth getting done or not too???

John stratton
100BHP+

Post by John stratton »

Simple answer . No don’t have the fix done . It’s a fixfail

Brock
Caddy Fan

Post by Brock »

I have just had to get my 2014 102ps 1.6 TDI Caddy Maxi Kombi taken on a low-loader to the local VW dealer. [£200 ouch!]

It miss-fired a couple of weeks ago, going to work, went into limp mode, then corrected itself after being left overnight.
Same happened again on Saturday but would not correct itself, hence the low-loader. [R.A.C would only take it 10 miles, dealer is 35 miles away]

Diagnosis from the dealer is that No2 injector is toast and it needs a new one including bolts, seals etc. [£879 double ouch!!]
The vehicle has only done 16000 miles and been serviced once.

The first question they asked me was "have you had the emissions fix done?"
When I told them no I had not, they said " that's a shame because this would have been covered under the extended warranty."
There was no mention of this extended warranty on the correspondence I received telling me that my vehicle needed the fix.
When I declined the fix, it was logged on the VW system and when the dealer asked for a goodwill gesture from VW they refused.

The dealer has offered me a goodwill payment of 30% and if I have the fix done, they say the other injectors will be covered for 2 years.
I have not asked what else will be covered?

So when I get it back I'm going to be worried about the other injectors failing, plus any other stuff that might occur after the fix.

`'get the fix or not?'
JD2k
Twin Turbo poster

Post by JD2k »

I've just had my second injector go in the space of two weeks (~400miles) on my 1.6 tdi 105k, I've not had the emissions fix done but considering it if there's a warranty that covers the injectors for 2 years.
ImageImageImage
Maverick58
Caddy Fan

Post by Maverick58 »

JD2k wrote:I've just had my second injector go in the space of two weeks (~400miles) on my 1.6 tdi 105k, I've not had the emissions fix done but considering it if there's a warranty that covers the injectors for 2 years.
This is all pretty bad reading for anyone with an engine that’s on the recall list. Clearly....there is a problem with injectors on these models and vw are aware of it otherwise why would they guarantee them for 2 years once the fix has been done, wouldn’t it be better to just recall every vehicle and sort the real issue instead of sweeping it under the carpet and hope nothing happens, replace all injectors full stop. Over in the USA vw have been forced to do just that for very vehicle because they got hit with a multi billion dollar lawsuit, can’t understand why we haven’t been given the same courtesy. F**kin soft touch UK as always.

So I work in construction and most of the big companies have all but banned the use of ladders (unless deemed absolutely necessary) on recommendations by the HSE as it could cause injury or even death, so if an injector failure in the fast lane of a motorway decides to suddenly let go....is that not deemed dangerous or more so than that of stepping onto a ladder. You see my point gents....it’s all about lawyers and money. Vw have pulled the wool over our eyes and us soft touch brits have taken it in true stuff upper lip British style. Anyone who’s ever been to the US knows that their customer service is some of the best in the world because the consumer will not stand to have their pants pulled down and royally shafted!!!

It’s just a win for Vw!!!

Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

An injector failure on the outside lane of a motorway is no different to a fuel pump, throttle pedal, oil pump, gearbox, ECU, wheel bearing, clutch, ABS, tyre, driveshaft, etc. etc.failure in the outside lane. Sure they are all unlikely but they do happen and as drivers it is up to us to deal with it at the time.
Playing that card to VW will only lessen your credibility as it will be seen as a means to exaggerate to possible consequences to favour yourself.

VW play a lot on the whole reliability of their vehicles, you'd be much better off telling them how you view their brand and unreliable and lost faith.

The whole argument of whether the injectors should be recalled is a long running discussion. The fact remains, the manufacturer has not recalled the component as it is seen to be still above the failure levels for such a recall on a non safety related component.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
John stratton
100BHP+

Post by John stratton »

My reply to the fix would be don’t even think about it . Join the vw emissions Facebook page or just google VAG emissions fix . Your MPG will also reduce by about 13% and your EGR valve could be prone to failure along with other components .