Painting the overhead storage

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Jamesf18eld
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Painting the overhead storage

Post by Jamesf18eld »

The overhead storage shelf in my van is filthy and really needs spray not just cleaning... Has anyone done this? What type of paint have you used? What about the visors?

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

brooneye
Hyper Poster

Re: Painting the overhead storage

Post by brooneye »

It can be done, but the time is in the prep.

I had a local Bodyshop paint all my plastics gloss black and I painted the visors using flexible paint

While it was down I also had the headliner trimmed black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Barbel330
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Barbel330 »

There are 2 manufacturers who make good paint systems for plastic suitable for diy use. Upol and ProXL. ProXL is my preferred one. You can buy it from paint suppliers or online.

You buy a can of plastic adhesion promotor and a can of the colour. There are loads of shades of grey and black to choose from. Personally I'd go for some kind of dark grey which ties in with your other trim.

Get a grey scotch bright pad and a bucket of lightly soapy water and rub down the entire panel you want to paint. You only need to key the plastic with the scotch pad to give the paint something to adhere to, your not trying to sand it smooth or anything so the prep is quite quick and easy. Dry it all off and make sure it's clean and free from residue or dust. I wipe the panels down with degreaser (panel wipe) at this stage just to make sure you've removed all traces of interior trim gel or whatever may have been used on it in the past as the paint won't stick if it's still on there.

Spray on a couple of very light coats of adhesion promotor letting it dry between coats. Use a hair dryer to aid drying, it'll only take a couple of minutes as you're putting on such a light coat. Once that's touch dry, apply the colour. Again, in light coats as your not trying to get a gloss finish you're trying to get a Matt/satin finish the same as your other interior trim. Add as many coats as you need for full coverage drying between coats with the hairdryer again. Leave it somewhere warm for a couple of hours and it's done. Should look exactly like your original trim.

I'll be doing my A and B pillar trims and my over head storage shelf myself soon.
Instagram: @y_5cuf
Jamesf18eld
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Jamesf18eld »

brooneye wrote:It can be done, but the time is in the prep.

I had a local Bodyshop paint all my plastics gloss black and I painted the visors using flexible paint

While it was down I also had the headliner trimmed black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That looks spot on Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jamesf18eld
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Jamesf18eld »

Barbel330 wrote:There are 2 manufacturers who make good paint systems for plastic suitable for diy use. Upol and ProXL. ProXL is my preferred one. You can buy it from paint suppliers or online.

You buy a can of plastic adhesion promotor and a can of the colour. There are loads of shades of grey and black to choose from. Personally I'd go for some kind of dark grey which ties in with your other trim.

Get a grey scotch bright pad and a bucket of lightly soapy water and rub down the entire panel you want to paint. You only need to key the plastic with the scotch pad to give the paint something to adhere to, your not trying to sand it smooth or anything so the prep is quite quick and easy. Dry it all off and make sure it's clean and free from residue or dust. I wipe the panels down with degreaser (panel wipe) at this stage just to make sure you've removed all traces of interior trim gel or whatever may have been used on it in the past as the paint won't stick if it's still on there.

Spray on a couple of very light coats of adhesion promotor letting it dry between coats. Use a hair dryer to aid drying, it'll only take a couple of minutes as you're putting on such a light coat. Once that's touch dry, apply the colour. Again, in light coats as your not trying to get a gloss finish you're trying to get a Matt/satin finish the same as your other interior trim. Add as many coats as you need for full coverage drying between coats with the hairdryer again. Leave it somewhere warm for a couple of hours and it's done. Should look exactly like your original trim.

I'll be doing my A and B pillar trims and my over head storage shelf myself soon.
Thanks pal..very helpful.
Il look forward to seeing yours done !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ecocaddy
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Ecocaddy »

Hi, how do you remove the over head pocket? I've got to the two inside sun visor clips and can't seem to find any tutorials in the internet and I'm stumped... I'm sure I'm being an idiot haha

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The polisher
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by The polisher »

This is the stuff I used ,but my interior is dark black great stuff and doesn't mark or scratch it's a clear plastic primer the the black trim spray :D :D
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Touran seats, Touran Console, Touran carpets, Touran Door cards, Spoiler, German Plates, RCD 330, carpeted and insulated, TDI Mats, Stance lowering Kit, VW Mk6 Steering wheel, T6 Steelies, Bargain Sunvisor, Bragan Roof Rails,Touran mirrors
Instagram:HG_Metal_Polishing_13
Facebook: HG Metal Polishing
www.hgmetalpolishing.com
Ireland :shock:
The polisher
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by The polisher »

Ecocaddy wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:01 pm Hi, how do you remove the over head pocket? I've got to the two inside sun visor clips and can't seem to find any tutorials in the internet and I'm stumped... I'm sure I'm being an idiot haha

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Have u removed the 2 handles at either side as well :D
Touran seats, Touran Console, Touran carpets, Touran Door cards, Spoiler, German Plates, RCD 330, carpeted and insulated, TDI Mats, Stance lowering Kit, VW Mk6 Steering wheel, T6 Steelies, Bargain Sunvisor, Bragan Roof Rails,Touran mirrors
Instagram:HG_Metal_Polishing_13
Facebook: HG Metal Polishing
www.hgmetalpolishing.com
Ireland :shock: