Reversing camera

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Tayside
Caddy2k Groupie

Reversing camera

Post by Tayside »

Hi , have RNS 315 and wanting to add reversing camera but can't find much information on this can anyone suggest a good system or best place to buy , thanks
Beaker2135
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Reversing camera

Post by Beaker2135 »

I fitted an OEM 26 pin connector reverse camera from a Passat (5K0-980-551) to an RNS315 in a 2014 Highline
I bought a kit from Car Systems in Poland which included a camera, wiring loom and a new handle/licence plate light holder which was already modified to accept the camera. It is necessary to drill a 25mm hole in the back door
The reverse light supply isn't a stable 12v, it's PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) when the engine is running so you need to supply the camera off the rear wiper supply or direct from the fuse box. The reverse light supply will be fine to trigger the head unit so just pick that up from the lamp, the loom or at the BCM/CECM under the steering wheel.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is
ace275
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (83bhp)

Re: Reversing camera

Post by ace275 »

There goes my plans to wire my camera of the reversing circuit

I have the camera on my 2011 passat connected to the reversing output of my bypass relay for the towbar. The caddy I'm getting in 3 weeks has a towbar fitted, it was supplied by the dealer on the van from new last year, though I'm not sure if it was subbed out or a genuine vw towbar. Would its control box possibly have a 12v output for reverse?

I presume the rear wiper has a ignition 12v supply and a signal 12v 'trigger' wire, so i can just take the ignition 12v for my camera?

Planning this all for when the van arrives, so I'm ready to go