New Owner and 1st question

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
MattRS
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

New Owner and 1st question

Post by MattRS »

Hi Guys,

I picked up a 2011 SWB Caddy a couple of weeks ago and now I have serviced it and changed the rear brakes (wrong size discs were fitted) I am loving it.

I have a long list of things I want to do to it, mainly from reading this forum however to start with I stripped out the bulkhead as it is not required. This has made the it noticeable louder inside now so I was wondering what is recommended in the way of soundproofing?

I don't have access to all this forum due to being a new member so sorry if this is covered in detail elsewhere. I looked online and a MLV material seems to be recommended for the floor? I plan to carpet the rear (that will be a separate question in the future) so I'll renew all the ply lining. Should I be looking at a foam as well for the sides?

Thanks in advance for any advice
Caddyluv
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Re: New Owner and 1st question

Post by Caddyluv »

This is I think it was silent coat 2mm. Any sound deadening it really helps. You can go nuts the thicker the heavier. But it makes a massive difference.

ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MattRS
Caddy Fan

Post by MattRS »

Nice interior, it looks amazing - I'll save questions about ply lining and carpeting for the time being - 1 job at a time and all that :D

I saw the silent coat on Ebay and thought of using it on the bare panels so stop them vibrating. I also saw PeaceMAT MLV which seems thicker so I thought of using that to cover floor and the rear arches. Then stick some foam in behind the ply on the sides and then carpet it all. Sounds like I am on the right lines on how to approach it.

Good to hear that putting any amount in makes a difference as I was beginning to think I ruined my van as I did 300miles in the rain in it yesterday as it was torture on the ears.

Thanks
ace275
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (83bhp)

Post by ace275 »

Tidy job there @caddyluv !
Caddyluv
Hyper Poster

Post by Caddyluv »

ace275 wrote:Tidy job there @caddyluv !

Ta ImageImage I done a how to for it.

ace275
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by ace275 »

Cool, I'm awaiting access to that section, I'll give it a read when I'm in! I should be getting a caddy in the next few weeks, and the guys who have them in work give off about the wind/road noise so I imagine I'll be doing some sort of sound insulation myself.
Caddyluv
Hyper Poster

Post by Caddyluv »

Wind is from the mirrors they can be sorted that in there to. The sound deadening it’s completely up to you. Some guys go nuts I put a motexion bulkhead and I hear nothing.

Bluebeard
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Bluebeard »

I run mine without a bulkhead, and have used the silent coat 2mm stuff and also gone over everything with dodomat 6mm closed cell foam insulation. and its now quieter than when it had the bulkhead in. well worth doing
Golfchick
Caddy Fan

Post by Golfchick »

Glad you asked this question, I'll 100% be removing the bulkhead so I can check on my doggy passenger and so it frees up some leg room for a bed but I can't stand a vehicle that rattles all over the place.
MattRS
Caddy Fan

Post by MattRS »

Bluebeard wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:40 pm I run mine without a bulkhead, and have used the silent coat 2mm stuff and also gone over everything with dodomat 6mm closed cell foam insulation. and its now quieter than when it had the bulkhead in. well worth doing
Thanks that’s exactly what I wanted to hear. I saw the closed cell foam and hoped it would do the job well. I’ll get ordering the stuff up.
MattRS
Caddy Fan

Post by MattRS »

Bluebeard wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:40 pm I run mine without a bulkhead, and have used the silent coat 2mm stuff and also gone over everything with dodomat 6mm closed cell foam insulation. and its now quieter than when it had the bulkhead in. well worth doing
Thanks that’s exactly what I wanted to hear. I saw the closed cell foam and hoped it would do the job well. I’ll get ordering the stuff up.
MattRS
Caddy Fan

Post by MattRS »

Golfchick wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:34 pm Glad you asked this question, I'll 100% be removing the bulkhead so I can check on my doggy passenger and so it frees up some leg room for a bed but I can't stand a vehicle that rattles all over the place.
That’s the reasons I removed mine. it not really rattley, more road noise and echo, if that makes sense. But annoying none the less.
MattRS
Caddy Fan

Post by MattRS »

Just ordered up the same. Thanks for the advice
ace275
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by ace275 »

Caddyluv wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:55 pm Wind is from the mirrors they can be sorted that in there to. The sound deadening it’s completely up to you. Some guys go nuts I put a motexion bulkhead and I hear nothing.

What do you have to do with the mirrors to reduce the noise?

Thanks
Caddyluv
Hyper Poster

Post by Caddyluv »

Pull mirrors forward. Put 3m tape our sort sponge tape in here up the edge.