I'm looking to buy a Caddy Maxi. Any things to look for, stay clear of?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
CaddyShack2k
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Re: I'm looking to buy a Caddy Maxi. Any things to look for, stay clear of?

Post by CaddyShack2k »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (30.63 KiB) Viewed 252 times
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by the swan fiend »

You live and learn!! That’s one lovely looking engine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
CaddyShack2k
Hyper Poster

Post by CaddyShack2k »

Autodelta is Alfas tuning division and they do a 3.7 litre version
Afield23
Hyper Poster

Post by Afield23 »

CaddyShack2k wrote:Me, bought a transporter, since when? Just looked on drive, Caddy still there....got a Model T on order though Image
I did my usual and read a post you replied to thinking you had written it! Apologies!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

CaddyShack2k
Hyper Poster

Post by CaddyShack2k »

Nee bother
1arm1legDan
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by 1arm1legDan »

Thanks Lads.

I've also spoke to two mates, both in the trade, one runs his own small 3 staff garage, and another one who worked in the workshop at a VW dealership between 2005-2013.
Jim, who has his own garage, says stay clear completely of the DSG box, as has a few come through his garage, and the gearbox rebuild company says it's the most seen gearbox in their workshop. But he also said, most of the modern semi autos have similar issues.
Rich, whom worked in VW, said the 1.6 have issues, plus abit gutless. The 1.9tdi is good for big miles, as long as serviced correctly with the right oil. If either is not done, wear to the camshaft is known. But he seemed to prefer the 2.0tdi. He said the DSG is ok, as long as it's serviced correctly again, so basically full service history is the safest bet.

To be honest, all this has put me off spending on a more modern car, to then possibly face issues at anytime. It just seems cars are built these days to get out of warrentee, sometimes, otherwise they do as little as possible till warrentee has run out. (I'm a lorry fitter, and they are just as bad).
I did a similar thing in 2009, by buying a 4year old Peugeot 307 for the other half, then a year of headaches, dark cold nights underneath it, which I later found out was all issues going across the Peugeot forums, and Peugeot knowing the issues, but not doing recalls, and only paid for repairs if court proceedings were placed.
After all my 1994 Toyota Lucida maybe a old girl, and poor MPG, but it's been completely bullet proof for 5+ years, which the cost of running well benefits over the poor Mpg.
CaddyShack2k
Hyper Poster

Post by CaddyShack2k »

There isn't a car on earth that's totally fault free, if one ever becomes available it won't be long before they're all indestructible......and every car manufacturer goes bust. You pays your money and takes your chances I'm afraid, if it goes wrong just do what I do, moan like a bitch and drive everyone up the wall :D
1arm1legDan
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by 1arm1legDan »

I know, I understand that, my comment don't read as I intended, what I meant, is the most reliable lorrys in our fleet are the old ones. All the newer ones, which have the emission systems to achieve the EU stamps, are full of ongoing issues. It's all good and well having these emission laws, but if a vehicle cost ten fold over its life to make that, how is the good for the environment, as we are having to do more miles to earn the extra money to keep them road worthy.
CaddyShack2k
Hyper Poster

Post by CaddyShack2k »

The irony is, these newer, greener vehicles are a contradiction in terms, it would be far 'Greener' if we all drove round in old air cooled Transporters because the new euro 6 or whatever they're up to now, will never recoup the energy it took to build them in the first place
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

As someone who works in the motor manufacturing business I have to say I do agree with your comments about modern cars Danny.
I mean, these days, cars are more reliable (think of all the bonnets up on a Sunday in the 70s and 80s) But when they do go wrong, certainly from an electrical point of view the fault finding can be horrendous, then there’s the cost.
As for modern diesels, the whole DPF/turbo/EGR issues are a pain, not to mention injectors!!
If you’re a lorry fitter, making repairs to a caddy should be easy enough for you, so if you want one, get a tidy one as you say with a service history, and go for it!!
The expensive bits are the mods you’ll want to do!!

1arm1legDan
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by 1arm1legDan »

Haha, I weren't around in the 70's, lol. But your right tho.

I best rephrase that, I was a Hgv fitter, but now am at the sidelines, doing more imspections rather than on the spanners, as things either take too long now, or very hard with 1 arm.

I looked at 09 Caddy Maxi, 1.9td DSG last Sunday, and the car wasn't clean body work and no service history at all, or receipt for the recently refurbed DSG box, (all as seller told me before hand), so I walked away.
1arm1legDan
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by 1arm1legDan »

Ps, to be honest, even though I can do it, I'm not wanting to buy something that is is possibly waiting to go wrong, I've spent too many years rebuilding engines and gearboxes (bikes & cars), I just want a reliable daily drive.

Cheers for all the advise guys.
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

Ahh ok fair enough. I must admit, constantly fixing a vehicle isn’t my idea of fun either.
Sounds like you did the right thing with that maxi mate, I would’ve done the same.
Hope you get something sorted though, keep us posted on what you do