Winter tyres working well on the Caddy

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
peakrock
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Winter tyres working well on the Caddy

Post by peakrock »

My ex BG Caddy came with Michelin Alpin S tyres fitted and I have to say they work really well in the snow. My Focus, which has winter tyres on, got stuck in some drifting snow near home this morning (I live in rural Norfolk and the snow is being blown off the fields onto the lanes) but I was able to pull it out with the Caddy after several attempts. It also feels much more sure footed than the Focus so I'm going to stick with it whilst this weather lasts.
alanjgrier
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: Winter tyres working well on the Caddy

Post by alanjgrier »

Tried winter tyres for the first time this year. Couldn't get over how well they performed in snow/heavy rain. Won't be without them next winter.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

wildybeast
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by wildybeast »

Ime running 17" Uniroyal Allseason experts.Well happy with them.Yet to see how long they last as there going to be on all year round
peakrock
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by peakrock »

I think the gas board run their vans with tyres like this all year round so I'm going to see how they are as the weather warms up. It's going to be used everyday and for climbing trips where I'll be parking on fields, up tracks etc so the extra traction could be really useful.
gee101a
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by gee101a »

I put the wheels that came on the van back on the front, Michelin Crossclimate, been ace in the snow! The van was like bambi in the 235 kuhmos! ๐Ÿ˜‚
_20180301_212847.JPG
anoneamus
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by anoneamus »

Not something that I ever have to think about in South Africa (coldest it gets where I live is about 9 degrees), but saw this recently and thought it might be pertinent:

https://jalopnik.com/heres-the-scientif ... 1820640922
bigmac
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by bigmac »

I too have Michelin Cross Climates on my Maxi Kombi. I drove home from Lowestoft via Gt Yarmouth early hours Tuesday morning in the snow, some parts having to use the crash barrier of the central reservation as guide!! I felt happy amd confident with the grip I had off the tyres, never let me down, and will definitely be getting a new set when they need replacing.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

salmon007
Caddy Fan

Post by salmon007 »

Tried out the new Winter Contact 860 Continental test ,did very well . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utUvm0I ... e=youtu.be
tonyhill
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by tonyhill »

I'm sure these tyres are great, but I just don't drive in the snow or ice. While you may have all the grip in the world, it's all the other idiots who can't drive in the dry let alone the snow....why run the risk of having your/my pride of joy damaged?? I just don't chance it.
Roll on summer ๐Ÿ‘
Torpa
100BHP+

Post by Torpa »

I have studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 on my caddy.
In Sweden it's a legal requirement to have winter tires from 1 December to 31 March.
From Sweden
Yeti
200BHP+

Post by Yeti »

tonyhill wrote: โ†‘Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:07 am I'm sure these tyres are great, but I just don't drive in the snow or ice. While you may have all the grip in the world, it's all the other idiots who can't drive in the dry let alone the snow....why run the risk of having your/my pride of joy damaged?? I just don't chance it.
Roll on summer ๐Ÿ‘
Similar here, I took the 2k out with it's 4 random part worns and didn't enjoy the experience. I spent the rest of the week in the ยฃ300 Seat Inca with it's winter tyres and it was unstoppable. Plus if someone did take it out, it wasn't particularly expensive!
Sorry chaps, much as our 2k looks nice, I prefer my Mk2. ;)
GYCADDY
Caddy Fan

Post by GYCADDY »

I am on the Michelin Crossclimates too, great tyres for the winter. I genuinely never thought they would make the difference they have.
CaddyShack2k
Hyper Poster

Post by CaddyShack2k »

To be honest I just don't have the money for a second set of tyres, I've got year round tyres on mine and they're in great shape but driving in the snow and ice can still be interesting to say the least, it's important to know how to react in an incident, anyone know if there are still skid pans around that teach the necessary skills?