Caddy on ferry as a high car or van?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
fastesi
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Caddy on ferry as a high car or van?

Post by fastesi »

Hi guys I'm thinking for the first time take my caddy around Europe down to portugal in august but im confused because my SWB caddy have a size of car and I read in so many places and other forum's of Transporters people book as a high car because as a van is really expensive, more 200 just because is a van....

I did read a topic here but was from 2015 last posted so i decided to open a new one just to find out if anyone of you did travel recently between dover and calais by ferry or eurotunnel and how do you booked as a van or high car??

Thank you very much guys and I hope you guys can help me make my final decision what to do by the way the reason i'm so confused is because is a van i know but in same time i have seats on back and a folding bed for camping so really should be as car but i'm afraid to risk it.
So please let me know what you have done guys....and what company ferries did you used...
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Caddy on ferry as a high car or van?

Post by the swan fiend »

This has just spiked my curiosity too, so I had a look on eurotunnel’s website. All the info regarding heights/weights of vehicles is on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

A standard caddy, un-lowered, without a roof rack or any rooftop modification is 183cm to my knowledge.
This is lower than many standard people carriers and SUVs.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
fastesi
Caddy Fan

Post by fastesi »

I did made my research and I did contact po ferries and the guy on a phone told me I can get away if a book as a high car dfds told me on a phone I need to book as it is on my log book with eurotunnel they said as well I can get away as a car but what I want to know is on a site because I know people did it and Bo problem on a border...

Sent from my Sony Xperia XA ultra using Tapatalk

fastesi
Caddy Fan

Post by fastesi »

Doc wrote:A standard caddy, un-lowered, without a roof rack or any rooftop modification is 183cm to my knowledge.
This is lower than many standard people carriers and SUVs.
I know but they go funny because is a van and want us to pay the extra but so many people get away with it that's why o decided to ask

Sent from my Sony Xperia XA ultra using Tapatalk

RKDesigns
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by RKDesigns »

I booked it as a lowered car. Is cheaper than book it as a van. My other car is a SUV but paid the same ...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
fastesi
Caddy Fan

Post by fastesi »

RKDesigns wrote:I booked it as a lowered car. Is cheaper than book it as a van. My other car is a SUV but paid the same ...

But what happen on ferry border did they mess with you or just didn't bother??

Sent from my Sony Z5 Premium using Tapatalk

Caddycamper1989
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Caddycamper1989 »

Use ours as a camper and have a Thule roofbox taking it to 2.2 and always book it in as a 1.8m van don’t go over the 1.8 as that drastically increases the price whatever class of vehicle you choose
fastesi
Caddy Fan

Post by fastesi »

Caddycamper1989 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:58 am Use ours as a camper and have a Thule roofbox taking it to 2.2 and always book it in as a 1.8m van don’t go over the 1.8 as that drastically increases the price whatever class of vehicle you choose
Thanks for your reply mine with roof rails is 1.9m so i did contact po ferries again and the supervisor told me yes to book as higher car 1.8 to 2.4 higher and 6m length so i will do it because he gave me his name and said if someone says something about just mention his name to argue with them.....so i think i'm gonna take the risk
RKDesigns
Hyper Poster

Post by RKDesigns »

fastesi wrote:But what happen on ferry border did they mess with you or just didn't bother??

They never make a problem of it, even my Audi is a van, but then they want me to park it as middle of 3 in the front. Superb always first away ImageImageImage

LeeH
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by LeeH »

Some ferry’s will put you in freight end of. You have have no choice.

However, some don’t so it’s best to call or face a charge when you try and board.

This is from personal experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
2011 2.0 GT Bluemotion Tech DSG in Candy White
2012 1.6 Highline Bluemotion Tech Caddy in Indium Grey
fastesi
Caddy Fan

Post by fastesi »

LeeH wrote:Some ferry’s will put you in freight end of. You have have no choice.

However, some don’t so it’s best to call or face a charge when you try and board.

This is from personal experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
According with customers services of po ferries where I book it from they say is fine but I know I may have some issues but as long I don't have to pay more I don't mind to go on the end...

RKDesigns
Hyper Poster

Post by RKDesigns »

I got checked once and showed the back, i could go directly between the passenger Cars and not freight because of the almost empty van. Besides that its my private car as Well.

fastesi
Caddy Fan

Post by fastesi »

RKDesigns wrote:I got checked once and showed the back, i could go directly between the passenger Cars and not freight because of the almost empty van. Besides that its my private car as Well.

Good to know because mine will be loaded with camping stuff and my daughter sat in there as well lol Image

SnoWhite
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by SnoWhite »

My Maxi life has been through Eurotunnel on several occasions and always been booked as a car without hassle likewise P&O, IoM Steam Packet and even once on DFDS.

I usually book crossings through Aferry.com as they offer a range of low prices/flexibility and their system allows you to specify your vehicle. (The registration papers have it listed as a 7 seat people carrier). But it is no issue if I decide to throw out some of the seats to carry more stuff instead (in my case sometimes one or two motorbikes) which obviously means it will ride a fair bit lower.

My Maxi has integral roof rails and is not lowered so especialliy when empty it is right on the line for clearance for access to the standard twin deck tunnel vehicles but it is no issue when loaded.

On one trip I intended also carrying a roof box for extra storage, and had specifically booked a high space crossing on the Tunnel but in the end managed to get everything inside. On arrival at the Tunnel, I simply checked in on the touch screen and I was checked onto the next high space crossing and directed to the high space lanes, only to be directed by staff controlling access to the parking area to join the standard vehicles line as they evidently have some sort of automatic height detection scanning system which indicated that I did not need to be in the high space group.

As for vans being charged more for crossings I cannot say either way, but if you are not planning on reclaiming VAT then if a car booking will be cheaper I would book it as a car.